All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Any full moon hikes this Saturday August 13th?
August 08, 2011 10:57AM
My mother and friends have never visited Yosemite and I think this would be one of many grand experiences for them. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Any full moon hikes this Saturday August 13th?
August 08, 2011 02:06PM
Hard to give you advice without knowing what you want to do and where you plan to go or stay. The Valley? Tuolumne? Flat hike? Uphill hike? Downhill hike?
August 08, 2011 02:12PM
If this is the first visit to Yosemite I'm not sure a night moon hike is the best choice. For a first timer I would try to find a showing of the Firefall Movie at Curry Village they sometimes show in the evening.
August 08, 2011 02:33PM
Although not necessarily a hike, going to Glacier Point during a full-moon night is a fun and memorable experience. It's amazing how much of the park you can see from there by moonlight alone.
August 08, 2011 04:20PM
I suggest you hike to the top of Sentinal Dome Friday night. You'll see the nearly full moon rise BEFORE sunset, which is my favorite time to see the full moon. The day of the actual full moon, it rises after sunset, so not as conducive for photographs. As a matter of fact, check the park newspaper, there will most likely be a ranger led hike from Glacier Point to the top of the dome. (of course you can go Sat night too, and there will probably be a ranger hike that night too, just my preference would be Friday)
August 08, 2011 02:45PM
Glacier Point sounds incredible-thanks. We're camping at Crane Flat. My plan was to drive to the valley Saturday night and explore some trails.
avatar Re: Any full moon hikes this Saturday August 13th?
August 08, 2011 04:47PM
The Valley Loop Trail is a beautiful one to explore on a full moon night.
avatar Re: Any full moon hikes this Saturday August 13th?
August 09, 2011 12:13PM
I would reccomend doing both the drive to Glacier Point and then the very short hike to Sentinel Dome since it's off Glacier Point Road. The trailhead is on the right about 2 miles back from Glacier Point.
August 09, 2011 02:55PM
tomdisco
I would reccomend doing both the drive to Glacier Point and then the very short hike to Sentinel Dome since it's off Glacier Point Road. The trailhead is on the right about 2 miles back from Glacier Point.
You can also follow the trail from Glacier Point to the top. This is the route the rangers take.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2011 02:56PM by hotrod4x5.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login