Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

A Walk in the Park - CNN Article

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A Walk in the Park - CNN Article
August 08, 2011 11:19AM
CNN article about a trip to the north rim of Yosemite

I like this quote: "We reached a point where we had to head vertically from our location. It turns out when blazing the trail, crews began at separate ends and never met." I'm assuming this is the (former) zig-zags on the Old Big Oak Flat road (not trail), which of course weren't the result of poor planning or surveying, as the two ends did once meet. The Old BOF road was in fact an impressive engineering accomplishment for its day.

And I don't think picture #11 is either all that breathtaking or a view of Yosemite Valley...
avatar Re: A Walk in the Park - CNN Article
August 08, 2011 11:40AM
#2 is a joke too:
"Chen and her crew hike through Yosemite Valley, where evidence of the routine controlled burns to clear brush are visible"

Uh. sure.

a) you're on the Old Big Oak Flat Road Trail west of Tamarack
b) that's the Big Meadow Fire you're walking though

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 08, 2011 11:56AM
Judging by their pictures and words... they did 18 miles.

Up Rockslides and towards Ribbon Creek (never crossing)... and then back out past
Tamarack and Wildcat to Big Oak Flat Rd. near Foresta.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: A Walk in the Park - CNN Article
August 08, 2011 12:18PM
And the last photo sure isn't Yosemite Valley!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 08, 2011 01:38PM
I couldn't get past the fact that between the author and her boyfriend, they had 80 lbs. of gear... ouch! I also hope Survivorman's "trail blazing" ideas (please, no more turned over/stacked rocks..) don't catch on. (They had GPS... waypoints/track log anyone?)
August 08, 2011 01:41PM
basilbop
I also hope Survivorman's "trail blazing" ideas (please, no more turned over/stacked rocks..) don't catch on. (They had GPS... waypoints/track log anyone?)

Unfortunately I don't think Les is familiar with Yosemite. He is much more used to far less traveled areas. Far less...
August 08, 2011 06:05PM
This may be elsewhere on the forum, but Backpacker magazine has a "3D Flyover" of Yosemite's North Rim (no funny glasses needed): http://www.backpacker.com/3d_flyover_yosemite_north_rim/videos/84.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login