Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Teen dies after falling on the Mist Trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Teen dies after falling on the Mist Trail
August 11, 2011 03:39PM
Apparently he slipped and his his head last weekend, but finally succumbed today. Sad news.

Fresno boy, 17, dies after injury in Yosemite
http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/08/11/2495992/fresno-boy-17-dies-after-injury.html
August 11, 2011 10:28PM
Bellingham Herald

The teen was with his family, going down The Mist Trail from Vernal. He was descending quickly ahead of the pack, then slipped, causing him to roll down several steps. sad smiley
August 11, 2011 10:34PM
Ohnivy-Drak
He was descending quickly ahead of the pack, then slipped, causing him to roll down several steps. sad smiley

Speed kills, in more ways than one. Sad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 10:35PM by hotrod4x5.
August 12, 2011 04:37PM
This is truely heart wrenching.
I was saying, in another post, about my son doing this....scares the crap out of me..the whole trail, dry or wet. I am going to be sure to make my son aware of this story.
avatar Re: Teen dies after falling on the Mist Trail
August 12, 2011 05:05PM
Red Lipstick
I was saying, in another post, about my son doing this....scares the crap out of me..the whole trail, dry or wet. I am going to be sure to make my son aware of this story.

I think poles are very useful for going down the Mist Trail. I used my pair to steady myself with a big pack. I wouldn't say it reduces the chance of falling to zero, but it might make it less likely to take an uncontrollable tumble.
August 12, 2011 05:36PM
y_p_w
Red Lipstick

I think poles are very useful for going down the Mist Trail. I used my pair to steady myself with a big pack. I wouldn't say it reduces the chance of falling to zero, but it might make it less likely to take an uncontrollable tumble.
I dont know if the ones ive used were cheap but ive noticed that they have a tendency to collapse if you but to much weight on them, that could get ugly especially on that trail.
August 12, 2011 07:31PM
ryanmj
y_p_w
Red Lipstick

I dont know if the ones ive used were cheap but ive noticed that they have a tendency to collapse if you but to much weight on them, that could get ugly especially on that trail.

A well designed one shouldn't fold on you. The ones I use are from the Austrian company Komperdell. I have something like three pairs, which I got from Sierra Trading Post real cheap with an additional discount.
August 12, 2011 09:02PM
I use REI trekking poles, they are more useful downhill than up. I believe the REI brand is made by Komperdell.

Odd that they are not counting this sad death in the park totals for the year
August 13, 2011 07:07AM
Vince
Odd that they are not counting this sad death in the park totals for the year

Well, technically I guess he didn't die "in Yosemite" but I know what you mean.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login