All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Vogelsang Plus report from a SLOW hiker Aug 7-11
August 12, 2011 06:47AM
We just got back from a 4 night trip in the Vogelsang area. My usual hiking speed has been described as "moderately slow." Add in some altitude (I need more oxygen!), elevation gain, and knees that swell with the slightest exertion, and my new speed becomes "extremely slow." So I can't make as many miles as most of you, but I still enjoy getting out in the backcountry.

Boothe Lake had a few small fish willing to be caught, and more mosquitos than I'd ever experienced in Yosemite. We usually wait till August to hike so the mosquito population is down, but obviously that plan didn't work this year! The mosquitos hit the tent walls so hard it sounded like it was raining.

I used 30% DEET on my arms (when in short sleeves) and hands, and 20% Picaridin on my clothing and face. To keep fingers repellent-free, we spray repellent on the back of the hand and do a "kitty wipe." Headnets were essential. My husband stuck with 7% Picaridin (prefers the aroma) but he isn't very appealing to moquitos in general. I'm a mosquito magnet.

It froze at night. I think it's time to invest in a better sleeping bag!

Then we hiked (oh so slowly) over Vogelsang Pass and went on to Bernice Lake. The mosquito population was quite reduced, but still present. Only two of our group caught fish; we expected the fishing to be much better.

On our layover day, we day-hiked to Florence Lake. The scramble along the waterfall up to the lake was definitely worth our time & effort. The stream-ponds on the way were quite productive for fish, tho' the fish were all small. Son caught just two fish in the lake.

We had originally planned to loop around to Emeric Lake, but my aching knees and incredibly slow pace indicated we needed to select Plan B. So off we went to Evelyn Lake; we've successfully fished here several times. We chatted with several folks hiking from Vogelsang HSC to Merced Lake HSC. Lots of cameras, casual shoes, and shorts. I'm not sure how well they crossed the numerous snowfields or streams.

Contrary to the info shared by the day hikers, the mosquito population around Vogelsang is not decreasing. Again, clouds of mosquitos. They dive bombed my oatmeal, suicided on my toothbrush, and annoyed the heck out of us. But it was cold at night so they were inactive after about 8 pm. Unfortunately, the fish were inactive as well. Son caught a nice 17" trout, but this time I caught nothing.

Overall, it was a great trip. This was the best wildflower show with many varieties of lupine (my favorite!)
avatar Re: Vogelsang Plus report from a SLOW hiker Aug 7-11
August 12, 2011 12:17PM
NacciNW

This was the best wildflower show with many varieties of lupine (my favorite!)

Thanks for sharing your trip report. Just to note: there's usually an indirect correlation between mosquitos and wildflowers since both tend to appear about roughly the same time (first the mosquitos, then starting a few weeks later, the wildflowers). Once the water starts to dry up, so do the mosquitos... and the wildflowers.
Re: Vogelsang Plus report from a SLOW hiker Aug 7-11
September 04, 2011 01:32PM
That's good to know - wildflowers follow mosquitos - just back from HSCs and only ran into a bit of a mosquito problem near Cathderal Lakes. Wildflowers are on full display.
avatar Re: Vogelsang Plus report from a SLOW hiker Aug 7-11
September 05, 2011 11:30AM
dolphin
That's good to know - wildflowers follow mosquitos - just back from HSCs and only ran into a bit of a mosquito problem near Cathderal Lakes. Wildflowers are on full display.

Which camps?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login