All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A park full of peril- LA Times
August 15, 2011 10:20AM
Even though that is true.... I don't know, when I read that title it made me think like, 'Yosemite THAT dangerous?' .. Idk how too really explain it but it wasn't good. I didn't really like the way this title makes Yosemite seem like such a horrible place, a first. Even though the article did have ppl "defending the park" and it's dangers being smthng ppl shld expect when thy go..

LA Times- A Park full of Peril
avatar Re: A park full of peril- LA Times
August 15, 2011 04:08PM
Yes, Yosemite is THAT dangerous. It is a park for of peril.

Unfortunately, too many park visitors don't realize that and treat Yosemite as a High Sierra amusement park, a Disneyland set up in the mountains.

I think the tone of article was fine. It wasn't overdone or sensationalistic.

People need to be careful out there while enjoying the splendid and sublime beauty of the park.
August 16, 2011 07:39AM
plawrence
a High Sierra amusement park, a Disneyland set up in the mountains

Without much effort... I'm certain you can find that there have been
many deaths in Disneyland over the years... and a very large number
in amusement parks across the country.

Obviously you should stay home and just watch TV.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 16, 2011 09:23AM
chick-on
plawrence

a High Sierra amusement park, a Disneyland set up in the mountains

Without much effort... I'm certain you can find that there have been
many deaths in Disneyland over the years... and a very large number
in amusement parks across the country.

Obviously you should stay home and just watch TV.

In regards to Disneyland, fatalities at the park have been quite few, especially considering the vast number of people that that visit the park each year.

Since its opening in 1955 through August 2007, only nine park guests and one Disneyland employee had been killed at the park. A bit safer than Yosemite, I'd say.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.asp
Re: A park full of peril- LA Times
August 15, 2011 04:15PM
Yes, Yosemite is dangerous, especially this year but so are other parks. Yosemite is not the only park this year where people have gone over waterfalls or fell off trails and got seriously injured or killed. I wish that had been mentioned in the article so people would not think that if they go to another park they do not have to be careful.
August 15, 2011 09:14PM
Wait. This is an article in a newspaper printed in LA? And they are worried that Yosemite is dangerous?

please.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 15, 2011 09:19PM
This isn't meant to be cruel or disrespectful to those who have lost loved ones, but millions of people visit The Park and most return home safely. I have way more fear of drunk drivers and those that make sudden lane changes on the highway w/o blinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2011 09:20PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
August 16, 2011 07:33AM
There was another incident at Niagara Falls Sunday where a woman climbed over the fence to get a picture and slipped and went over the falls. People every where must be leaving their common sense at home while on vacation.
August 16, 2011 07:34AM
LA Times Article
Two of the bodies have yet to be found. After the accident, a makeshift memorial — a cross lashed together with yellow rope — was placed near the edge of the waterfall, just beyond the safety railing.

I hope someone has taken that down by now. If I wasn't halfway across the country I'd do it myself (if I didn't have to jump the railing and onto the polished granite, that is). People don't go to Vernal Fall to get reminded of one unconscionably irresponsible church group. Save your graffiti for your front lawn.
August 16, 2011 08:25AM
mbear
LA Times Article
Two of the bodies have yet to be found. After the accident, a makeshift memorial — a cross lashed together with yellow rope — was placed near the edge of the waterfall, just beyond the safety railing.

I hope someone has taken that down by now. If I wasn't halfway across the country I'd do it myself (if I didn't have to jump the railing and onto the polished granite, that is). People don't go to Vernal Fall to get reminded of one unconscionably irresponsible church group. Save your graffiti for your front lawn.

At least fine whoever put it there for littering.

If it is located beyond reach, some stove fuel and a match should do the trick.
August 17, 2011 10:24PM
I hope all the deaths scare people away and only 3 million visit next year!
August 18, 2011 02:09PM
Statistically, you'd have more of a chance of dying in the car on the way to the Park, then actually in the Park itself. Considering all the stupid things we've seen in the Park it really is surprising that more people don't end up losing their lives in the Park.

Balzaa, the LA times usually has a piece on some facet of Yosemite at least once a month. The Park gets good coverage from them. A lot of So Cal people go up 395 and then go in the East Entrance.

As for Disneyland, there have been a few incidents. Its pretty fair to say that any time there is a large gathering of people, someone will get hurt in some way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disneyland_Resort
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login