Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Showers...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Showers...
August 16, 2011 01:07PM
Okay, so long gone are the no pay showers, which is lame. So, I was wondering can you still avoid paying, when you show up at the shower house, after 10:00 p.m.? I think it's rediculous to make tent campers pay an additional $4.00 bucks (is it up to $5 now...meh), on top of everything else, but I digress. I have my own towels, for crying out loud!
August 17, 2011 03:22AM
Back in June we were going after 10:30 pm and there were no attendants there to take the $5.00 fee. We also had our own towels. When we went during the day hours I paid the 5 bucks and looked at as a donation to the park cause. That makes it all feel better!! If I remember right, back in the 80's they used to stack towels,washcloths and a bucket of bar soap on counter for little to nothing! $1 or $2 was it and no attendant that I can remember. Back then they had someone always cleaning as the crowds came through. Now they clean at 2 different times a day for one hour each. Late morning and late afternoon.
August 17, 2011 08:13AM
There usually isn't an attendent there in the early morning either (before 7 a.m.). I don't know what time the attendent shows up (at Curry).
August 17, 2011 09:27AM
Someone on another forum called Curry Village and asked about the cost of showers. If you bring your own towel, there is no fee.
August 17, 2011 03:11PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, They've charged me before, that was back when it was $4.00 bucks...reguardless of the towels my son and I already had. Hopefully they do allow people with their own supplies...something tells me it depends on who's on duty at that time. I don't understand thier rational...they get their money either way. If I spend $50 bucks on showers (both my son and I for every evening we are there, let's say), then that's money I would have used on touristy souvenirs.
August 17, 2011 03:19PM
I must say, I am absolutely disgusted with the services that are provided in Yosemite by the NPS. With all the money they stand there and collect per car at the gate and per campsite, I would, and do expect more. Showers, restrooms etc. absolutely appalling. I do not care to read any excuses for them. The State Parks through out this country are by far, a four star resort, compared to the garbage peddled by the NPS.
August 17, 2011 04:05PM
I agree-

I have to say the shower houses are pretty gross.

I know Mammoth is pretty pricey too and it had even less amenities . Last year, I payed the store/boat house 3-4 bucks (depending on which place) for a hot shower.
Despite my handle ("Red Lipstick"-punn), I can go without a shower, but for the price of park admission and my campground reservation (and not say, tax dollars). I'm treated like a foreign tourist (they are treated better, actually). I can honestly go without the frills... I was raised on dispersed camping, which I still do, on occasion.
This park (and all national parks, I assume) is notorious for catering to the rich. I am probably the only one that wants to see the all-mighty Ahwahnee Hotel burn (figure of speech, of course) to the ground. It represents an untouchable monarchy (that I'll never be a part of) that digusts me. I'm sure the Miwoks felt/feel the same way. hot smiley
Done ranting. drinking smiley

With all said, it still is the cheapest way to travel, but it's becomming more expensive, like everything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 04:08PM by Red Lipstick.
August 17, 2011 04:16PM
Red Lipstick
I am probably the only one that wants to see the all-mighty Ahwahnee Hotel burn (figure of speech, of course) to the ground. It represents an untouchable monarchy (that I'll never be a part of) that digusts me.

Nope. I'd never want to see anyone hurt, but then I'm guessing you wouldn't either. I'm afraid that is what is going to happen "in by back yard" at Lake Berryessa. Only time will tell, but it sure seems like there is a push for more expensive luxurious accommodations (profits are higher I'm sure) and catering to day use tourists (profits probably higher here to, considering you can accommodate more people).

The rest of us just get left out in the cold, so to speak.
August 18, 2011 12:29PM
Red Lipstick
Last year, I payed the store/boat house 3-4 bucks (depending on which place) for a hot shower

Really? I'd just go jump in one of the hot springs.
August 17, 2011 04:50PM
Use the new shower house. No attendants, no fees.
August 17, 2011 05:09PM
You could always use the Merced or Tenaya Creek with some biodegradable/environmentally friendly soap for your showering purposes. We saw quite a few people doing this as well as some in my group (myself included). Then when I had to pay for a shower I didn't mind so much. Also the showers by boystown aren't monitored for a fee but they are very small and not as clean.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't mind the $20 admission fee or the $20 a night for camping fee. I bought the $40 annual pass because I will be back and I don't mind supporting the parks. A total bargain in my opinion and I am happy to pay. Even $5 for a shower once in a while.
August 17, 2011 05:40PM
I've bathed in a Kern river many times, back in the day. River or no river, it doesn't make money grow on trees.. smiling smiley

I agree, I don't mind paying the admission fee etc., my point was that it (being the shower)is another fee that wasn't there 5 years ago. They are always threatening the removal of campgrounds, while luxury takes presidence. I'm not rich, all I'm saying. I'm a mother that likes to camp and experience YNP, even if it is from the bottom berth of the Titanic. smiling smiley
August 17, 2011 05:40PM
The showers aren't provided by NPS.
August 17, 2011 05:46PM
I know, but they sure as heck get the revenue off of those tax dollars (spent in the park) and it is on federally-ran land.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 05:57PM by Red Lipstick.
August 17, 2011 06:09PM
Red Lipstick
I know, but they sure as heck get the revenue off of those tax dollars (spent in the park) and it is on federally-ran land.

And your point is?
August 17, 2011 09:17PM
If you can'y figure it out, than I'm truely am sorry for you. smiling smiley
August 17, 2011 09:21PM
wrong category-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 09:23PM by Red Lipstick.
August 17, 2011 06:13PM
Red Lipstick

Complex issue-- should we have higher taxes or park admission fees to pay for these enhancements? Should the parks be run fully by the government and resemble the austere facilities at a VA hospital, military base or federal office building? The concessionaire-NPS relationship has a long and checkered history, but may be the best of alternatives. I hate to pay the 150% to 200% markup on goods and services in the parks, but, hey, the ambient pulchritude is free otherwise and it motivates me to be a better planner or more creative in servicing my needs.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 17, 2011 06:33PM
Frank Furter
Red Lipstick

Complex issue-- should we have higher taxes or park admission fees to pay for these enhancements? Should the parks be run fully by the government and resemble the austere facilities at a VA hospital, military base or federal office building? The concessionaire-NPS relationship has a long and checkered history, but may be the best of alternatives. I hate to pay the 150% to 200% markup on goods and services in the parks, but, hey, the ambient pulchritude is free otherwise and it motivates me to be a better planner or more creative in servicing my needs.

Try the markup at a really isolated place like Isle Royale NP's Rock Harbor Lodge (assuming we're discussing non-self-contained park access, in contrast to most of what we post here - one of my backpacking luxury items is a sun shower), where any electricity is generated on-site because there's no connection to the grid (Lake Superior's in the way). So there's a special 'tax' to account for the specialized requirements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2011 06:35PM by ttilley.
August 17, 2011 06:44PM
The prices charged by a concessionaire at every National Park is in theory regulated by a government board. The board approves the prices each year. The concessionaire is supposed to charge a price that's comparable to what the price is for the same item (or type of lodging) in the nearby communities surrounding the park. In other words, if the government board is doing their job, the prices you'll find inside Yosemite National Park should be roughly equivalent to the prices you'll find at El Portal, Fish Camp, Oakhurst, Mariposa, Buck Meadows, Groveland, and Lee Vining.

A National Park's concessionaire in theory isn't allowed to charge whatever they want for an item. The price has to be approved by a government board.
August 17, 2011 06:54PM
...adjusted for differences related to operating conditions, location, etc. (as I saw posted at the ever-celebrated TM Grill a few weeks ago).

There are weasel words in those adjustments. I'd interpret Frank Furter's remarks about the concessionaire/NPS relationship issues as including how to define operating conditions, and location. Last Saturday at the Tioga Pass entrance I was behind a pickup w/ NV plates carrying one bale of hay, whose owner seemed to be arguing with the nice person in the entrance booth. Said pickup ended up turning right towards the stables just before the Tuolumne River bridge. Does it make any economic sense whatever to use a pickup to carry _one_ bale of hay, from Nevada, many miles into the park? I really doubt it. I'm sure, though, that if asked a reason would be offered.
August 17, 2011 06:55PM
ttilley
Frank Furter
Red Lipstick

Try the markup at a really isolated place like Isle Royale NP's Rock Harbor Lodge (assuming we're discussing non-self-contained park access, in contrast to most of what we post here - one of my backpacking luxury items is a sun shower), where any electricity is generated on-site because there's no connection to the grid (Lake Superior's in the way). So there's a special 'tax' to account for the specialized requirements.

I paid close to $6/gallon for gas in Death Valley this year but considering the alternative-- getting towed for 100 miles to a cheaper gas station, it seemed like a good deal. It troubles me that all citizens cannot enjoy the parks without disproportionate financial hardship, but there is no obvious solution. I suppose it could all be "free" but then would need to be limited by lottery, otherwise the system would be overwhelmed. I suspect that determining eligibility for charitable cheap showers offered pro bono would require filling out an application that would take 2 weeks to review, submitting a recent tax return, and getting three letters of recommendation (including one from your Senator) prior to approval.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 17, 2011 07:09PM
Frank Furter
I paid close to $6/gallon for gas in Death Valley this year but considering the alternative-- getting towed for 100 miles to a cheaper gas station, it seemed like a good deal.

So it's gone up a bit since May?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/dvnp/sc-dsc_1522.jpg.html
August 17, 2011 08:04PM
eeek
Frank Furter
I paid close to $6/gallon for gas in Death Valley this year but considering the alternative-- getting towed for 100 miles to a cheaper gas station, it seemed like a good deal.

So it's gone up a bit since May?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/dvnp/sc-dsc_1522.jpg.html

The price of gas at the Chevron Station at Furnace Creek in Death Valley is unregulated because it's on a private in-holding now owned by Xanterra. So they can charge whatever price they want.

The gasoline pumps next to the Stovepipe Wells General Store ARE within Death Valley National Park proper (not within an in-holding) and they ARE regulated by the federal government. The price of gas at those pumps (at Stovepipe Wells) is a bit less than the Chevron Station at Furnace Creek.
August 17, 2011 08:12PM
And one nice consolation about driving around Death Valley: I've always gotten the best gas mileage out of my cars driving down there. I think it's a combination of the 35 to 65 MPH speed limits (most sections having 50 to 60 MPH speed limits) with very little traffic and stop signs, and being in most part at or below sea level. I wouldn't be surprised if the richer air of being 200 feet below sea level helps the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. Regardless of the technical reasons, I alway get outstanding gas mileage driving around Death Valley.
August 17, 2011 08:12PM
plawrence
The gasoline pumps next to the Stovepipe Wells General Store ARE within Death Valley National Park proper (not within an in-holding) and they ARE regulated by the federal government.

I suspect it might be something like that.
August 17, 2011 07:16PM
Frank Furter
I suspect that determining eligibility for charitable cheap showers offered pro bono would require filling out an application that would take 2 weeks to review, submitting a recent tax return, and getting three letters of recommendation (including one from your Senator) prior to approval.

At which point I suppose it'd be cheaper to just give said cheap shower recipients a sun shower and one of those 'sun shower tents' so they can use it in privacy.

Shaver Lake, Bridgeport, we can all name areas where the private sector gas prices are simply outrageous. I'm sure the Death Valley concessionaire would point to those examples, state their greater isolation, and feel invited to tack on an extra dollar. Maybe at some point arbitrating the weasel words associated with differences in location, conditions, etc., needs to be done with someone motivated towards the 'access' part of the Parks' twin mission (given that concessionaire pricing has little to do with the preservation part of the mission).
August 17, 2011 05:43PM
There are times when I would have paid $20 for a cold shower (and those around me would have paid $200 for me to have a shower)!

-- Carl Sagan
August 17, 2011 06:49PM
robinjayp
You could always use the Merced or Tenaya Creek with some biodegradable/environmentally friendly soap for your showering purposes.

Please, please, please DO NOT PUT SOAP OF ANY KIND IN THE RIVER!

All soap pollutes the water. The biodegradable soaps need to filter through soil to biodegrade which is why the rangers tell everybody who gets a back country permit to make sure to be at least 100 feet away from water sources when washing.
August 17, 2011 07:02PM
hotrod4x5

New shower house? Do you mean the one at Camp Curry that was closed after the last big rockfall there?
August 17, 2011 10:21PM
mtn man
hotrod4x5

New shower house? Do you mean the one at Camp Curry that was closed after the last big rockfall there?
No, look around. And shucks, I hate giving away my secrets, but I suppose you all won't be there at the same time as me. But like I said, look around, you will find it.
August 17, 2011 08:51PM
We go to many different National Parks and Yosemite has the most expensive lodging. Even in Yellowstone it is cheaper. For $180 a night at Zion Lodge you can get a redecorated cabin with a porch, separate dressing area, a full bathroom, heat/AC, Pendleton wool blankets, pillows and drapes and, my favorite thing, a fireplace. Try to find that in Yosemite Valley. The blankets and pillows are so nice that I bought a set, they were made especially for Zion Lodge. ( I collect Pendleton blankets and have a few limited edition ones)
August 17, 2011 09:38PM
parklover
We go to many different National Parks and Yosemite has the most expensive lodging. Even in Yellowstone it is cheaper. For $180 a night at Zion Lodge you can get a redecorated cabin with a porch, separate dressing area, a full bathroom, heat/AC, Pendleton wool blankets, pillows and drapes and, my favorite thing, a fireplace. Try to find that in Yosemite Valley. The blankets and pillows are so nice that I bought a set, they were made especially for Zion Lodge. ( I collect Pendleton blankets and have a few limited edition ones)

One of my biggest gripes about the prices that DNC charges is that no way outside of Yosemite National Park (El Portal, Midpines, Mariposa, Fish Camp, Oakhurst, Buck Meadows, Groveland, Lee Vining) could someone charge anywhere the same price DNC charges for a room at the Yosemite Lodge for a room that did not have air conditioning. If the rooms at the Yosemite Lodge had A/C then the prices they charged in the summer would be more or less in line with what the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal charges guests during the summer.

But the Yosemite Lodge rooms DON'T have A/C, a huge minus in the summer, so they ought to be charging a lot less for those rooms.
August 18, 2011 12:37PM
plawrence
a room at the Yosemite Lodge for a room that did not have air conditioning.

August 17, 2011 09:09PM
How about one of those "sun showers" which are sold at WalMart in the camping section for $8? They are Coleman brand, are somewhat unreliable, but still worth considering.
Sun shower+ Coghlan's Camp Soap+ water "catch basin" (as required by some/all? campgrounds) + some kind of privacy tarp, if desired.

I just can't figure out how to erect a privacy tarp in a neat enough fashion. I also don't care to spend $75+ on a privacy no-see-um mesh shelter. Thoughts...
August 17, 2011 09:39PM
herosemblem
How about one of those "sun showers" which are sold at WalMart in the camping section for $8? They are Coleman brand, are somewhat unreliable, but still worth considering.
Sun shower+ Coghlan's Camp Soap+ water "catch basin" (as required by some/all? campgrounds) + some kind of privacy tarp, if desired.

I just can't figure out how to erect a privacy tarp in a neat enough fashion. I also don't care to spend $75+ on a privacy no-see-um mesh shelter. Thoughts...

Consider a "shower poncho" or just a giant black plastic bag, 100 gallons or so (cut a hole for your head) and bathe under that coverage.

-- Carl Sagan
August 17, 2011 09:24PM
Well, this has been fun, but ummm... This has been completely been blown out of preportion and I want to thank you all. It must be nice to have the luxury of money and not question where it goes...very democratic of you all. smiling smiley All this over showers...Really??? LOL get a grip...
August 17, 2011 10:02PM
At Curry Village, there is ONLY a charge for the showers when the pool is open. Before and after, there is no charge. If I remember, it is something like before 8am and after 6pm it's free.
August 17, 2011 10:17PM
Jump in a lake or river and stink for a few days...who cares. Showers? Feh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login