All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Official USGS Benchmark Thread
August 17, 2011 08:21PM

Clouds Rest

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 03:34PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
avatar Re: Official USGS Benchmark Thread
August 17, 2011 10:33PM
Um... you realize there is another one up there, no?
#1 is still intact. The triangle one .. only the nub is there.

Do you really want these? I have prob. close to 50 if you include the boundary markers.
(I had this crazy idea to find all the boundary markers some day... but have yet to pursue it)

Have never found the Eagle Peak one.. looked a few times now to no avail...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Official USGS Benchmark Thread
August 18, 2011 12:18AM
chick-on
Um... you realize there is another one up there, no?
#1 is still intact. The triangle one .. only the nub is there.

Do you really want these? I have prob. close to 50 if you include the boundary markers.
(I had this crazy idea to find all the boundary markers some day... but have yet to pursue it)

Have never found the Eagle Peak one.. looked a few times now to no avail...

well, I'm obviously not too good at finding these things. Gives me another reason to go back up to Clouds Rest. smiling smiley
Never looked for one at Eagle Peak. If a summit/peak is in the GNIS (Geographical Names Info System) database, I bet there's an official benchmark.

Edit: the original idea for this thread was to get as many as possible, from lots of different people, to see where we've all been. Then a super guru like you could fill in the missing/obscure ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 12:21AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
August 18, 2011 12:35AM
I realize, of course, the possibility that many people don't hunt for these, so won't have the photos.
August 18, 2011 01:03AM
If this is supposed to be a thread about USGS Bench Marks photos, I would suggest it would be a more attractive thread that if instead of just providing a link to your USGS bench mark photos, that you link the actual photos to your post so the bench mark photo appears in the post itself. Just a thought...
August 18, 2011 01:27PM
plawrence
If this is supposed to be a thread about USGS Bench Marks photos, I would suggest it would be a more attractive thread that if instead of just providing a link to your USGS bench mark photos, that you link the actual photos to your post so the bench mark photo appears in the post itself. Just a thought...

Very good idea. But I can't get the "Insert image URL" feature to work.
August 18, 2011 02:16PM
Ohnivy-Drak
plawrence

Very good idea. But I can't get the "Insert image URL" feature to work.

Here's YOUR photo of the Cloud Rest bench mark.

(Just go to the photo and right-click on it, you should have an option that states 'Copy Image URL' or other words to that effect. Select that option. Then here in this forum, click on the 'Insert Image Icon' and then paste the URL that you copied from your photo. Once you get the hang of it, it's isn't too difficult.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 03:56PM by plawrence.
August 18, 2011 03:34PM
Thanks, it is pretty simple. Now I know to choose "copy image url."
August 18, 2011 08:10AM
Here are two links to bench mark stuff.

First the viewer:
http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/CA.html

And NGS:
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_county.prl

The second one has datasheets which tell you location and a lot of info.
For a few they even have pictures.

On USGS maps you can see the bench markers. If there is a triangle then there should be a bench marker.
The links above may help to determine if you can find it or not.
In more than a couple of places I have searched to no avail (Forsyth, Piute, ... )

Many peaks do not have bench markers.
What I have is listed below. If you want to see any or all of these just let me know.
Reg = Registry (the registry book)
Box = Sierra Club Registry Box
Boundary = Yosemite Boundary Marker
1/2/3/T = Stamp Type

Good luck hunting... I'm missing a few myself..

Here is more or less what I have for Yosemite:
Andrews Peak Reg
Bigelow Peak Boundary
Buena Vista
Clouds Rest 1
Clouds Rest 2
Clouds Rest T
Condon 1
Condon 2
Condon T
Condon HHWS
Crown Pt
Dance Hall 1
Dance Hall 2
Dance Hall T
Dewey Pt
Dorothy Lake Boundary
Double Rock 1
Double Rock 2
Double Rock T
El Capitan
Falls Creek Gauge
Fernandez Pass Boundary
Flat 1
Flat 2
Flat T
Foerster Peak Boundary
Foresta Boundary
Forsyth Peak Reg
Frog Creek Boundary
Gale Peak Boundary
Glacier Pt
Hetch Hetchy Dam
Inspiration Pt
Keyes Peak Reg
Kibbie 1
Kibbie 2
Kibbie T
Kibbie Boundary
Kibbie Ridge Boundary
Mahan Peak Reg
Many Island Boundary
Merced Peak Reg
Mt Clark Box
Mt Clark USGS
Mt Conness 1
Mt Conness 3
Mt Dana 1
Mt Dana T
Mt Hoffmann 1
Mt Hoffmann 2
Mt Hoffmann Gendarme
Mt Hoffmann T
Mt Lyell Box
Mt Lyell Marker
Mt Lyell USGS
Mt Maclure Box
Nevada Falls
Panarama Pt
Peeler Lake Boundary
Piute Mtn Reg
Poopenaut 1
Poopenaut 2
Poopenaut T
Post Peak Boundary
Red Peak
Richardson Peak
Schofield Peak Reg
Sentinel Dome
Sing Peak Boundary
Smith Peak T
Taft Pt
Tower Peak Box
Tuolumne Meadows
Vernal Fall
Virginia Reg
Volunteer Peak Reg
Mt Watkins
Yose Creek Road
Yosemite Pt

September 06, 2011 09:15PM
Remembered another one over the weekend:
Rainbow View

Obviously there isn't much interest in these.

November 03, 2011 10:06AM
Sorry, I had forgotten that I asked that question about bench markers before. Thanks for the tip on the triangles. Although not all of them are provided/seen on the USGS maps, ie Nevada Falls & Watkins. The "X's" mark the high points, but that's not necessarily where the markers are (i.e. Watkins again).

When the map shows "BM 8161" near Murphy Creek TH along Tioga, does it mean we should find some type of marker there?
November 08, 2011 07:44AM
Ohnivy-Drak
Sorry, I had forgotten that I asked that question about bench markers before. Thanks for the tip on the triangles. Although not all of them are provided/seen on the USGS maps, ie Nevada Falls & Watkins. The "X's" mark the high points, but that's not necessarily where the markers are (i.e. Watkins again).

When the map shows "BM 8161" near Murphy Creek TH along Tioga, does it mean we should find some type of marker there?
Short answer is yes. With road and trailhead improvements... YMMV

June 13, 2012 10:00PM
Just clicked on the second link (NGS) that you provided, lol. First search filter: Mariposa County, then Tuolumne. The last column, "Description," could use some improvement. No listing for North or Basket, for instance. But in all its glory, I see a listing for "EAGLE." I'll punch those coordinates in and give it a go sometime. There are quite a few groups of rocks up there, so who knows which one. It doesn't have to be the highest point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 10:03PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
June 14, 2012 07:40AM
Ohnivy-Drak
Just clicked on the second link (NGS) that you provided, lol. First search filter: Mariposa County, then Tuolumne. The last column, "Description," could use some improvement. No listing for North or Basket, for instance. But in all its glory, I see a listing for "EAGLE." I'll punch those coordinates in and give it a go sometime. There are quite a few groups of rocks up there, so who knows which one. It doesn't have to be the highest point.

Last time I was there I hunted and hunted and hunted... and found nothing.
I even went WAY down towards Middle Bro... and just found absolutely nothing.
Prob. need to send Bearproof there to find it for us. He has a nose for those thangs.
Once the leaves a start a changing... I'll do an overnight up there ... and look around.

Have fun

June 14, 2012 09:42PM
Here's the link to marker and info: Eagle BM. The "green" symbol on "scaredy cat" indicates "marker found"

Why isn't Taft Point marked on the "scaredycat"? HR0764 looks to be Oh My! Don't see El Capitan. But I'm seeing a pattern of sorts.

Glacier Point disk is marked by a triangle, while Basket's and North's have +/x. I bet Taft Points marker has the +/x (which it does). I'll guess YP has a triangle (and waddaya know...).

So the two links you provided above only give the locations of markers with triangles. The other ones must be in a different database, or were used for a different reason. I'm sure others have already figured this out centuries ago, lol. And when you look at the topo maps, that's exactly what occurs. So no wonder nada on Polly. If a location is marked with either symbol (x or triangle) on the map, it means a round discs *might* be there. But if a location is not marked with a symbol, that means don't bother looking there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 09:51PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
June 14, 2012 09:58PM
Yup. I knew about EAGLE. Until I see it ... I don't believe it's up there.

Polly what?

June 14, 2012 10:08PM
Well hell...is that actually on one of the domes on the system, the highest point, or along the road. LOL.

Thanks! At least there's definitely a good reason to go back! Along with the cascade that spills from Lower Lake.

btw, what are the odds the Eagle marker is somewhere in the meadow? Or somewhere along Eagle Creek?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 10:25PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
June 15, 2012 07:50AM
Ohnivy-Drak
btw, what are the odds the Eagle marker is somewhere in the meadow? Or somewhere along Eagle Creek?

The marker would most likely be in a location where it has line-of-sight visibility to other markers so that its location relative to these markers could be determined using traditional (non-GPS) survey methods. (Perhaps this is why there is no marker on HD--its relatively flat top would render the marker invisible to other lower surrounding markers...)
June 15, 2012 10:30AM
basilbop
Ohnivy-Drak

The marker would most likely be in a location where it has line-of-sight visibility to other markers so that its location relative to these markers could be determined using traditional (non-GPS) survey methods. (Perhaps this is why there is no marker on HD--its relatively flat top would render the marker invisible to other lower surrounding markers...)

That makes sense. According to official records, it's supposed to be sitting on a boulder - recorded in 1955 or so. Maybe that boulder has fallen since.
February 19, 2013 10:16AM
BM 4701 (Artist's Pt):

BM 3952 (along Northside Dr)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 08:56PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
February 20, 2013 06:50AM
Your welcome

December 29, 2017 11:23AM
I realize this thread has been inactive for many years, but I'm hoping I can get some information from someone on the benchmark that is listed below as being on El Capitan. Does anyone have a photo and an approximate location on the quad map for it?

Thanks

Tom

chick-on
Here are two links to bench mark stuff.

First the viewer:
http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/CA.html

And NGS:
http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_county.prl

The second one has datasheets which tell you location and a lot of info.
For a few they even have pictures.

On USGS maps you can see the bench markers. If there is a triangle then there should be a bench marker.
The links above may help to determine if you can find it or not.
In more than a couple of places I have searched to no avail (Forsyth, Piute, ... )

Many peaks do not have bench markers.
What I have is listed below. If you want to see any or all of these just let me know.
Reg = Registry (the registry book)
Box = Sierra Club Registry Box
Boundary = Yosemite Boundary Marker
1/2/3/T = Stamp Type

Good luck hunting... I'm missing a few myself..

Here is more or less what I have for Yosemite:
Andrews Peak Reg
Bigelow Peak Boundary
Buena Vista
Clouds Rest 1
Clouds Rest 2
Clouds Rest T
Condon 1
Condon 2
Condon T
Condon HHWS
Crown Pt
Dance Hall 1
Dance Hall 2
Dance Hall T
Dewey Pt
Dorothy Lake Boundary
Double Rock 1
Double Rock 2
Double Rock T
El Capitan
Falls Creek Gauge
Fernandez Pass Boundary
Flat 1
Flat 2
Flat T
Foerster Peak Boundary
Foresta Boundary
Forsyth Peak Reg
Frog Creek Boundary
Gale Peak Boundary
Glacier Pt
Hetch Hetchy Dam
Inspiration Pt
Keyes Peak Reg
Kibbie 1
Kibbie 2
Kibbie T
Kibbie Boundary
Kibbie Ridge Boundary
Mahan Peak Reg
Many Island Boundary
Merced Peak Reg
Mt Clark Box
Mt Clark USGS
Mt Conness 1
Mt Conness 3
Mt Dana 1
Mt Dana T
Mt Hoffmann 1
Mt Hoffmann 2
Mt Hoffmann Gendarme
Mt Hoffmann T
Mt Lyell Box
Mt Lyell Marker
Mt Lyell USGS
Mt Maclure Box
Nevada Falls
Panarama Pt
Peeler Lake Boundary
Piute Mtn Reg
Poopenaut 1
Poopenaut 2
Poopenaut T
Post Peak Boundary
Red Peak
Richardson Peak
Schofield Peak Reg
Sentinel Dome
Sing Peak Boundary
Smith Peak T
Taft Pt
Tower Peak Box
Tuolumne Meadows
Vernal Fall
Virginia Reg
Volunteer Peak Reg
Mt Watkins
Yose Creek Road
Yosemite Pt
December 30, 2017 08:38AM
amygdaloid
I realize this thread has been inactive for many years, but I'm hoping I can get some information from someone on the benchmark that is listed below as being on El Capitan. Does anyone have a photo and an approximate location on the quad map for it?

Thanks

Tom

Hi. So... there are sort of two on El Cap. Both are sort of on The Nose.
One is at the base... and one is at the top... the brink... along with a small lock and clip.
(some tie in spot I guess)
The one at the base is long gone... only the nub is still there.
The one at the brink ... I can't say... it was there in 2008 when I visited it.
I've been meaning to go back but ... it's a long way down from the top.

Anywho... the one at the base looks like this:

The one up top looks like this:

It's along the brink. Right here:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.730105,-119.635234&z=16&t=t4
So I guess not exactly on the nose top...

Anywho... if you go... lemme know the state of it please and thank you.
El Cap been on my radar for last couple months but too much other stuff
enticing me.

Thanks

December 30, 2017 08:44AM
I have never seen any indication of 7569 triangulation
on the tip top of El Cap and have been up there many many times.
Unfortunately it only takes one act to destroy something
that so many enjoy and find interesting.
(see Panorama Point) (for what? why? sigh!)

December 31, 2017 02:35PM
Thanks! Not sure if I’ll ever get to see
this one for myself, but hopefully I’ll get back to Yosemite some day. It’s been around 20 years since I’ve been. I’m going to make a replica of the El Cap BM as a keychain. I just finished a 3D model of Glacier Point BM today and ordered a bronze print from Shapeways.com. Here is what that one looks like. Glacier Point BM model
February 12, 2018 02:21PM
amygdaloid
Thanks! Not sure if I’ll ever get to see
this one for myself, but hopefully I’ll get back to Yosemite some day. It’s been around 20 years since I’ve been. I’m going to make a replica of the El Cap BM as a keychain. I just finished a 3D model of Glacier Point BM today and ordered a bronze print from Shapeways.com. Here is what that one looks like. Glacier Point BM model

Very neat.

VERY NEAT

thanks

fwiw... the one on top of El Cap is still there ... alive and kicking... and still looking very nice...

it pretty much looks the same as I posted above...

June 29, 2018 11:52AM
What's annoying is that when you search for it in the NOAA Database, it's not listed. Or it's not obviously named. Will likely make another trek out there in the week or two. Have never taken the trail from Yose Crk CG. If lucky, will come across a few climbers again.

Old maps seem to indicate once upon a time, there was some type of marker at the high point 7569. Easy to take, or maybe struck by lightning? Just like the one at Eagle. This one annoys me more than any of them. I've offered to be part of the reset team, but it's been met with silence thus far. tongue sticking out smiley

https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_county.prl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2018 11:56AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
February 26, 2018 07:04PM
Chick-on,

I haven’t finished my El Capitan replica yet, but I did find a map which shows the location of the benchmark at the top edge (with matching elevation) and the one that was vandalized at the base. Is the 7042 BM as close to the edge as the map indicates? Do you happen to have photo that show the benchmark in relation to the edge or the general area/view from up there?

It also shows a benchmark on the summit with an elevation of 7564’.

Here is a link to the USGS report that includes this map and a couple of others as well as lots of great photos and information.

Geologic History of the Yosemite Valley - USGS Professional Paper 160

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 07:08PM by amygdaloid.
February 26, 2018 08:25PM
Yes

smiling smiley

I mentioned the one at the "summit" ... have never seen it... have looked ... (doesn't mean it's not up there)
(but I have looked > 3 times so... )

Anywho... yes, the other one up there (one still there... is close to the edge)
(you no clicky on gmap4 link I put in post above? )

Without futher adoo:

It's more or less safe... just don't take like 3 more steps unless ...

The rock there to the right... that kinda overhangs... and you can see it from 3000 ft below ...
if you have Chick-on eyez... (or a zoom) (or just good eyes) (I think)

Have fun

edit: oops... sorry... THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS Love it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2018 08:25PM by chick-on.
February 27, 2018 09:26PM
That's a great photo! I did look at your map link, just wasn't sure if the BM was really that close to the edge as the maps show. Looks a little terrifying given the downward slope leading down to the BM...and that long last step if you go to far...

How long/difficult is the hike up there? Where is the start of the trail, down in the valley or someplace else? The only hike I've done in the park started at Glacier Point and went over to Nevada Falls, Vernal Falls and back through the Valley to Camp Curry. Looks like I hiked past a bunch of the BM that day, but I wasn't looking for them in those days unfortunately. That was over 20 years ago!

Would it be ok if I use your photos once I get the keychain done (on the website page for the keychain)? I can credit the photos to you if you want.

Thanks again for posting them.

chick-on
Yes

smiling smiley

I mentioned the one at the "summit" ... have never seen it... have looked ... (doesn't mean it's not up there)
(but I have looked > 3 times so... )

Anywho... yes, the other one up there (one still there... is close to the edge)
(you no clicky on gmap4 link I put in post above? )

Without futher adoo:

It's more or less safe... just don't take like 3 more steps unless ...

The rock there to the right... that kinda overhangs... and you can see it from 3000 ft below ...
if you have Chick-on eyez... (or a zoom) (or just good eyes) (I think)

Have fun

edit: oops... sorry... THANK YOU FOR THE LINKS Love it!
February 28, 2018 02:01PM
There's a number of ways there...
(not to mention straight up!)

Old Big Oak Flat TH (off of Big Oak Flat Road) - 10 miles to top of El Cap
Tamarack Flat CG - 8 miles to top of El Cap
Yosemite Falls TH - 8 miles to top of El Cap
you can come up with others... but those are pretty much the closest w/r to trails
that are maintained and such

I'll let you do the math w/r to elevation ... (ok, it's another 500 ft down to the edge BM)
smiling smiley

Anyzoo...

Here's two from the marker... east and west

If you want to repost those or the other one... go for it.

I looked into that 3D modeling thing a bit... but didn't get very far.
Watched some of the vids... then tried playing with gimp but the plugins weren't there
and yadda yadda yadda... something like I had to do some "work work" or
something and then it was "Friday" ... hehehe

Was playing with a boundary marker... like this:

Whenever you get the final product... would love to see it!

Have fun

April 26, 2020 08:02AM
Does anyone have a photo of a Nevada Falls BM? Chick-On's old photo share is no longer accessible https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/BenchMarkers?authkey=Gv1sRgCMfQ4IvD8NO9SQ

Thanks
April 26, 2020 01:26PM
April 27, 2020 04:43AM
Works well, thanks
August 18, 2011 08:45AM
Is there one at Half Dome?
August 18, 2011 06:54PM
Nope. You can buy one in the gift shop though... tongue sticking out smiley

August 18, 2011 02:04PM
Is the Kibbie Ridge boundary one the one at Mercur Peak? Or is that the one that's right on the trail before that dry dusty climb of like a 100' before you hit Sachse Spring?
August 18, 2011 07:03PM
I just called it that... I presume that there are over 140 markers similar to bench markers around the park.
They are marked with "Yosemite National Park" "Boundary" and then either "Post No. #" or "Mark No. #".
The Number I have:
Foresta: 8
Frog Creek: 54
Kibbie: 56
Kibbie Ridge: 61 (this is the one b4 Sachse)
Many Island: 64
Bigelow Peak: 76
Dorothy Lake: 80
Peeler Lake: 89
Foerster: 129
Post Peak Pass: 135
Fernandez Pass: 140
Gale Peak: 141

September 20, 2011 07:21AM
Added a few more to Z album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/BenchMarkers?authkey=Gv1sRgCMfQ4IvD8NO9SQ

The "HETCH" one is no longer "viewable" without a shovel and maybe a metal detector.
The road was redone years ago and was raised. There is a photo of where it is suppose to be.
Found one at the first switchback up to Beehive at Hetch Hetchy (BM 4050 on USGS)

Also added Whitney ones. Pretty interesting that there is a "Division of Highways" one up there.
How apropos...

September 23, 2011 11:17AM
chick-on

Also added Whitney ones. Pretty interesting that there is a "Division of Highways" one up there.
How apropos...

At one time, there was thought of building a road to the summit of Mt. Whitney, a là Pike's Peak. Fortunately, it didn't come to fruition.

November 08, 2011 09:27PM
chick-on
I just called it that... I presume that there are over 140 markers similar to bench markers around the park.
They are marked with "Yosemite National Park" "Boundary" and then either "Post No. #" or "Mark No. #".
The Number I have:
Foresta: 8
Frog Creek: 54
Kibbie: 56
Kibbie Ridge: 61 (this is the one b4 Sachse)
Many Island: 64
Bigelow Peak: 76
Dorothy Lake: 80
Peeler Lake: 89
Foerster: 129
Post Peak Pass: 135
Fernandez Pass: 140
Gale Peak: 141

Studying the old topo maps of Yosemite now online from the USGS, I'm wondering if you have come across any boundary benchmarks of the original 1890 boundaries of Yosemite National Park. I don't know if they took the time to place any before the boundaries were changed in the early 1900's.

November 08, 2011 09:32PM
Read this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,44982,46216#msg-46216

Many of those Old Topos were/are available at the berkeley site.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,5185

But many also are not. Awesome they are doing this. Hopefully they put up various Mt. Lyell Quads too.
November 08, 2011 10:11PM
bill-e-g
Read this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,44982,46216#msg-46216

Many of those Old Topos were/are available at the berkeley site.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,5185

But many also are not. Awesome they are doing this. Hopefully they put up various Mt. Lyell Quads too.

In 1906, the boundary of Yosemite National Park were changed. Were the 1906 boundary markers you found from the original Yosemite National Park boundaries, or from the new boundaries that took effect that year?
November 08, 2011 10:24PM
The markers mark the boundary of the current Park. Certain of that.
However, point me to the exact maps you are looking at so I can see those maps.

The map from Princeton shows the boundaries from many years.
One of the best maps I have seen:
http://gisserver.princeton.edu:81/navigatorMapViewer.htm?map=923
November 08, 2011 11:33PM
Here's a image of the May 1900 topo map of the Yosemite 30' Quadrangle I was referencing. This maps shows a good portion of the original western and southern boundary of Yosemite National Park.

Here's a link where you can zoom into the image of the topo map: May 1900 topo map of the 30' Yosemite Quadrangle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 11:39PM by plawrence.
November 09, 2011 06:46AM
Ok. Yeah. Got it. As soon as saw link yesterday was super excited that I'd be
able to snaggle the Princeton maps in their entirety. Unfortunately not so.
The map you show has pretty much been in the Chick-on set since putting it up.
The answer is the same... the boundary markers are along the current border.
(it's blatantly obvious on the east) (Gale, Sing, Post, Foerster... )
May 01, 2015 04:01PM
"Forget Geocaching, Bench-Mark Hunting Is the New Nerdy Hobby"

Wall Street Journal article here
May 07, 2015 11:01PM
Bearproof
"Forget Geocaching, Bench-Mark Hunting Is the New Nerdy Hobby"

Wall Street Journal article here

Thanks for sharing this. Fun hobby for sure. Now there needs to be BM reset teams. So many have been destroyed, lost (e.g. base of El Cap) or stolen (e.g. Eagle/Clouds).
August 18, 2011 04:10PM
And to elaborate on chick-on's posting, the NOAA datasheets provide information both on the benchmark itself as well as the reference points. For example, the picture at the start of the thread is technically not the benchmark itself...it is a reference point to the benchmark. According to the datasheets:

HR2868| PID Reference Object Distance Geod. Az |
HR2868| dddmmss.s |
HR2868| CS5568 CLOUDS REST RM 2 5.850 METERS 03628 |
HR2868| CS5567 CLOUDS REST RM 1 5.620 METERS 27436

From reference mark #2 pictured the benchmark itself should be almost due north 5.85 meters (in the direction of the arrow). So when benchmark hunting, be sure to get the actaul benchmark!

May give you yet another reason to go up Clouds Rest!
August 18, 2011 07:04PM
The Clouds Rest Triangle one... that one is not there. Just a nub.

August 18, 2011 08:35PM
Chick-on

That's the problem..I think that some people are willing to risk the $250 fine to take a mountaintop souvenir. A $250 fine...have you ever seen the Geodetic Survey police hanging around summits waiting for benchmark thieves?
And nubs don't make for very cool pictures!
August 22, 2011 05:14PM
I'm actually quite surprised so many are in decent shape.

An example:

I actually have al the ones I have in a set if there is any desire.
Kinda figured this would go over as well as the Roadside Makers..

tongue sticking out smiley

November 08, 2011 08:24PM
chick-on
I'm actually quite surprised so many are in decent shape.

An example:

I actually have al the ones I have in a set if there is any desire.
Kinda figured this would go over as well as the Roadside Makers..

Where was that one at? The two that I recall (before Sachse & on top of Mercur Peak) were both bronze in color like the one that was originally posted by Ohnivy-drak
November 08, 2011 09:34PM
It's EAST of Kibbie Lake up on the ridge (take a lookie at a USGS map).
All 3 are up there. In great shape. You can find them here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/BenchMarkers?authkey=Gv1sRgCMfQ4IvD8NO9SQ

(we explicitly put Kibbie here to elicit a response from you) (it eventually worked)
November 15, 2011 11:31PM
bill-e-g
It's EAST of Kibbie Lake up on the ridge (take a lookie at a USGS map).
All 3 are up there. In great shape. You can find them here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/BenchMarkers?authkey=Gv1sRgCMfQ4IvD8NO9SQ

(we explicitly put Kibbie here to elicit a response from you) (it eventually worked)

Hah, you know me too well. I couldn't resist chiming in on Kibbie. I do love that area of the Park.
June 15, 2012 10:55AM
Bearproof
Chick-on

That's the problem..I think that some people are willing to risk the $250 fine to take a mountaintop souvenir. A $250 fine...have you ever seen the Geodetic Survey police hanging around summits waiting for benchmark thieves?
And nubs don't make for very cool pictures!

And these markers were used to mapped the country. Since everything has been mapped, there's no need for them to replace missing markers or add new ones (i.e. on Half Dome).
May 04, 2015 12:48PM
By the last NGS "data sheet" report (2006) both of the "reference monuments" (RM1 & RM2) were still intact as was the "triangulation station" (not a "benchmark"winking smiley but they mentioned the main station appeared to be aluminum (rather than brass or copper) and that the stamping was obliterated. It was originally monumented in 1905.
September 06, 2011 09:20PM
I got the two Clouds Rest markers and posted the pictures in my album. But still have not heard a definitive answer on Half Dome. Is there one up there somewhere?
September 06, 2011 09:37PM
September 07, 2011 08:39AM
Hmm, the travails of date sequencing instead of conversation threading. Thanks Chick-On. I should have realized you would have known and answered the question. Somehow I missed it.

Is there a story on why there isn't one on Half Dome? Did someone steal it? I could see that it could be stolen multiple times as a souvenir so maybe Yosemite decided to just not place one. What is funny about that though, is if you were showing it off to anyone that cares (a legitimate hiker or backpacker) they would be the one mostly likely to report you---I know I would.
September 07, 2011 09:10AM
chicagocwright
Is there a story on why there isn't one on Half Dome?

Is there a story about why there should be one on Half Dome?
(NoParticularReasonFromOurViewpointly Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 09:13AM by szalkowski.
September 07, 2011 09:29AM
szalkowski
chicagocwright

The Marmots

I don't know. Every REI I go to has one so I figured Half Dome deserves one also.

But seriously, I naively assumed any prominent peak has one. Does Mt. Washington in New Hampshire have one? (just trying to think of peaks where I have been)
September 20, 2011 08:32AM
chicagocwright
szalkowski
chicagocwright

The Marmots

I don't know. Every REI I go to has one so I figured Half Dome deserves one also.

But seriously, I naively assumed any prominent peak has one. Does Mt. Washington in New Hampshire have one? (just trying to think of peaks where I have been)

Yes, Mt. Washington has one labled 6288.176'. Makes one curious what standard is used for sea level where they measure in increments to 3 decimals.
September 22, 2011 06:11PM
tomdisco
chicagocwright
szalkowski
chicagocwright

The Marmots

Yes, Mt. Washington has one labled 6288.176'. Makes one curious what standard is used for sea level where they measure in increments to 3 decimals.

Out of state markers are more than welcome. FYI, I recently read an article in "Backpacker" magazine about a rescue from this very mountain. Two unprepared hikers almost froze to death.
September 24, 2011 11:33AM
Ohnivy-Drak
tomdisco
chicagocwright
szalkowski
chicagocwright

The Marmots

Out of state markers are more than welcome. FYI, I recently read an article in "Backpacker" magazine about a rescue from this very mountain. Two unprepared hikers almost froze to death.

Have you ever seen any photos of the rime ice that builds up there? Between that and 100mph winds, I wouldn't begin to go up there without proper clothing and gear. There's some kind of club for those who have done it and survived it, but I can't remember the name of it.

http://www.ultimatechase.com/chase_accounts/mount_washington_summit.htm
May 04, 2015 12:54PM
Half Dome doesn't have one because it was too hard to get on the top of in 1905 (when the one on Clouds Rest was monumented). Back in the day these "triangulation stations" were sighted from numerous other stations and had many horizontal angles turned between them to establish their horizontal location. A lot of prominent peaks have them but they needed to be accessible and needed to have views of other peaks to continue the chain of these surveys.
September 07, 2011 09:13AM
I've always been interested in finding the oldest benchmarks I can. On the way up to the Mariposa Grove, the current road passes close to the original 1864 Yosemite Grant boundary, and there's a benchmark off the side of the road that is dated 1902. Has anyone ever seen one with an older date than that?

Also, if you look at a 7.5 map you'll see the orignal boundaries of the Yosemite Grant for both the Valley and the Big Trees. I noticed that todays Wawona Road passes right near one of the corners, and so I located the corner benchmark mounted on a 6-inch pipe that sticks a few feet out of the ground in a road cut. The interested thing is that you have an 1864 "corner" in a 1930's roadcut, but the benchmark had a date from the '50's (or close to that.) I would like to find the other 3 corners of the Big Trees grant. Supposedly, the Yosemite Grant corners that weren't peaks were marked with rock cairns.

Another fun one is up at the Great Sierra Mine near Gaylor Lakes. There's a cool old Iron Cross looking marker, with an "M M" stamped on it. I believe this stood for Minerals Management, and it was used to survey to your mining claim.
September 07, 2011 10:17AM
The oldest one's that I have seen are the US Forest/YNP boundary markers. 1905-1906
Most of the triangulation ones I have pix of are 1952, 1956, or 1957
El Cap is 1905. A few don't have dates or are so damaged...
Conness is 1934

I was unable to find anything really on Illiouette Ridge or Boundary Hill w/r to the Yosemite Grant.
Been meaning to finally get to Indian Rock (not the Arch) to check that spot out.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look at pix I took the one time was up at the Great Sierra Mine.

September 07, 2011 10:19AM
These are what I have:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/BenchMarkers?authkey=Gv1sRgCMfQ4IvD8NO9SQ

I should annotate them...

I've shown the big eye hooks atop Hetch Hetchy Dome and Kolana Rock in the past...
those are pretty cool too...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 10:36AM by chick-on.
September 07, 2011 10:29AM
That link didn't werk.
September 07, 2011 10:38AM
Okie. The album is now accessible with authkey above. Sorry

September 10, 2011 11:50AM
chick-on

Thanks for contributing. I'll try to add a few of my own, and hopefully others will find it interesting enough to add some from their journeys.
September 10, 2011 11:59AM
Ohnivy-Drak
chick-on

Thanks for contributing. I'll try to add a few of my own, and hopefully others will find it interesting enough to add some from their journeys.

You're welcome

I keep finding a couple here and there in albums... there's 110 photos in that set now. Prolly too many to paste here.

September 22, 2011 06:09PM
chick-on
Ohnivy-Drak
chick-on

You're welcome

I keep finding a couple here and there in albums... there's 110 photos in that set now. Prolly too many to paste here.

Watkins marker: 8235'? I have been looking at the wrong place for sure. Many of these things are put in places that are either unexpected (Watkins high point is 8500') or at a spot I prefer not to go (Yosemite Point rail corner).
September 07, 2011 10:28AM
Actually, now that I think about it, the one on the Mariposa Grove road was probably 1905, not 1902. It was a USFS/YNP boundary. (of course, no NPS in 1905, but 1906 is the year that the Yosemite Grant was added to the park)
September 08, 2011 07:19AM
YosemiteSteve
Another fun one is up at the Great Sierra Mine near Gaylor Lakes. There's a cool old Iron Cross looking marker, with an "M M" stamped on it. I believe this stood for Minerals Management, and it was used to survey to your mining claim.

I missed that one... only one I found was marked "US GENERAL LAND OFFICE SURVEY - 1924"
It's in that set now. along with a bunch of other oddities and registries ...

September 24, 2011 11:47AM
YosemiteSteve
Supposedly, the Yosemite Grant corners that weren't peaks were marked with rock cairns.

The way people are tearing down cairns nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if they were destroyed by someone who didn't know what they were looking at sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2011 12:22PM by SierraGold.
September 24, 2011 12:49PM
SierraGold
YosemiteSteve
Supposedly, the Yosemite Grant corners that weren't peaks were marked with rock cairns.

The way people are tearing down cairns nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if they were destroyed by someone who didn't know what they were looking at sad smiley

OTOH, what do you think of the possibility that a few people are putting them up with the intent on leading people the wrong way?
June 01, 2017 03:26PM
Ohnivy-Drak
SierraGold
YosemiteSteve

OTOH, what do you think of the possibility that a few people are putting them up with the intent on leading people the wrong way?

*shrug* I suppose anything is possible.
November 13, 2011 07:40PM
Found the Blister Rust Camp sign of the SW corner of Big Trees:

Also at this location also is the Boundary Marker sign #162
Failed to find the NW corner... ran out of daylight and it was raining hard by then...
October 03, 2011 05:36AM
Here's one from a fourteener.
(PleaseNoteLowerCaseUsagely Yours)
The Marmots

Mt. Wittenberg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 05:54AM by szalkowski.
October 03, 2011 08:34PM
Lassen Peak

November 13, 2011 08:06PM
How many people reach Lassen annually? Is there a book to sign up there? You guys are sharing some cool markers.

Rarest one I can share is measly Basket. smiling smiley

Others:
Clouds Rest
Tunnel View
Rainbow View
Dana
North Dome
Watkins
Yosemite Pt
El Capitan
Hoffmann
Columbia Pt
Sentinel
Taft
Dewey
Glacier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 11:02PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
November 13, 2011 09:37PM
A Zillion. There's no registry atop it.

Here's one for chicago:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 09:38PM by bill-e-g.
November 13, 2011 09:52PM
Hmm, that is a bit too shiny...
November 13, 2011 10:46PM
A group of people should buy one of those, then hammer it in where it's supposed to go. After a few years in the elements, maybe it won't look as shiny. Although I don't like the fact it doesn't have the "$250 dollars" warning on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 10:47PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
November 13, 2011 11:11PM
Ohnivy-Drak

A group of people should buy one of those, then hammer it in where it's supposed to go.

I would think this is an activity that a Clamper might take on. wink
December 19, 2011 04:54PM
plawrence
Ohnivy-Drak

A group of people should buy one of those, then hammer it in where it's supposed to go.

As a Clamper I don't know if I should be insulted or complimented. Oh well, I'll just have another whiskey...
December 19, 2011 11:49PM
oakroscoe
plawrence
Ohnivy-Drak

As a Clamper I don't know if I should be insulted or complimented. Oh well, I'll just have another whiskey...

Take it as a compliment.
November 14, 2011 07:16AM
It's a whole lot better than the one at Columbia Rock:
October 27, 2011 05:19AM

Benchmark 7821 near Old Tioga Road

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 12:06PM by plawrence.
October 27, 2011 10:54AM
Awesome! Thanks for the contributions. Depending on location, some of these might be worth saving into GPS. I've noticed that a few don't show up on the list until/unless you are closer to the Park. "Top of El Capitan" shows up from 200 miles away, but a place like OM! point doesn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 10:55AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
November 16, 2011 08:46AM
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=81139&page=1#Post81139

Hey chick-on...I wuz on Mount Whitney 5 days before you. I only got photos of the 1928 and the partial benchmark...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 09:05AM by hikerchick395.
November 16, 2011 07:27PM
395 hiker ladie,
Chick-on sez dat berry kewl.
And no think it the most boring topic eva.
(not into geo-caching though)
here our GPS from up der:
December 19, 2011 07:49AM
A fun one to go see:

(ok, it's a HHWS one... but still ... cool imo)

December 23, 2011 09:47AM
I'm assuming there isn't one at North Dome or in the Elizabeth Lake area? If the weather remains decent, The hubby and I are planning on hiking both next week. I like the idea of trying to find as many of these as possible. Our uncle owns a land surveying business back in Ohio and loves when we send him pics of markers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2011 09:48AM by JRo27.
December 23, 2011 11:05AM
JRo27
I'm assuming there isn't one at North Dome or in the Elizabeth Lake area? If the weather remains decent,.
Not many of the peaks around TM have markers... nothing really near Elizabeth.. You can find some markers along Tioga though.

I thought I had seen a triangle mark on a map on North Dome. Can't find that map now... and I couldn't find anything
on North Dome last year when I looked... (although I also failed to find the one on Basket Dome at the same time!!!!)
(but there WAS snow up there last last Nov )

February 19, 2013 09:27PM
JRo27
I'm assuming there isn't one at North Dome or in the Elizabeth Lake area? If the weather remains decent, The hubby and I are planning on hiking both next week. I like the idea of trying to find as many of these as possible. Our uncle owns a land surveying business back in Ohio and loves when we send him pics of markers.

I guess I'll share North:

And Basket..

which sits on this:

February 20, 2013 06:52AM
That was so last year.
Grinning Devil

I guess I should go thru last years faux toes and put them together.

July 23, 2012 08:25AM
Ohnivy-Drak

Clouds Rest

The NGS Data Sheet
See file dsdata.txt for more information about the datasheet.
PROGRAM = datasheet95, VERSION = 7.89.2
1 National Geodetic Survey, Retrieval Date = JULY 23, 2012
HR2868 ***********************************************************************
HR2868 DESIGNATION - CLOUDS REST
HR2868 PID - HR2868
HR2868 STATE/COUNTY- CA/MARIPOSA
HR2868 COUNTRY - US
HR2868 USGS QUAD - TENAYA LAKE (1992)
HR2868
HR2868 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL
HR2868 ______________________________________________________________________
HR2868* NAD 83(1992) POSITION- 37 46 04.27400(N) 119 29 21.21693(W) ADJUSTED
HR2868* NAD 83(1992) EPOCH - 1991.35
HR2868* NAVD 88 ORTHO HEIGHT - 3026.8 (meters) 9930. (feet) VERTCON
HR2868 ______________________________________________________________________
HR2868 GEOID HEIGHT - -24.81 (meters) GEOID12
HR2868 LAPLACE CORR - 15.21 (seconds) DEFLEC09
HR2868 HORZ ORDER - THIRD
HR2868
HR2868.The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods
HR2868.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in March 1994.
HR2868.
HR2868.The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to
HR2868.the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
HR2868
HR2868.The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC09 derived deflections.
HR2868
HR2868. The following values were computed from the NAD 83(1992) position.
HR2868
HR2868; North East Units Scale Factor Converg.
HR2868;SPC CA 3 - 641,188.510 2,089,049.782 MT 0.99992922 +0 37 07.8
HR2868;SPC CA 3 - 2,103,632.64 6,853,824.16 sFT 0.99992922 +0 37 07.8
HR2868;UTM 11 - 4,182,976.472 280,747.996 MT 1.00019213 -1 31 30.6
HR2868
HR2868! - Elev Factor x Scale Factor = Combined Factor
HR2868!SPC CA 3 - 0.99952915 x 0.99992922 = 0.99945840
HR2868!UTM 11 - 0.99952915 x 1.00019213 = 0.99972119
HR2868
HR2868|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
HR2868| PID Reference Object Distance Geod. Az |
HR2868| dddmmss.s |
HR2868| CS5568 CLOUDS REST RM 2 5.850 METERS 03628 |
HR2868| CS5567 CLOUDS REST RM 1 5.620 METERS 27436 |
HR2868|---------------------------------------------------------------------|
HR2868
HR2868 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL
HR2868
HR2868 NAD 83(1986)- 37 46 04.23980(N) 119 29 21.21821(W) AD(1984.00) 3
HR2868 NGVD 29 (03/15/91) 3025.5 (m) 9926. (f) VERT ANG
HR2868
HR2868.Superseded values are not recommended for survey control.
HR2868
HR2868.NGS no longer adjusts projects to the NAD 27 or NGVD 29 datums.
HR2868.See file dsdata.txt to determine how the superseded data were derived.
HR2868
HR2868_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 11SKB8074782976(NAD 83)
HR2868
HR2868_MARKER: B = BOLT
HR2868_SETTING: 80 = SET IN A BOULDER
HR2868_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO
HR2868+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION
HR2868_SATELLITE: THE SITE LOCATION WAS REPORTED AS SUITABLE FOR
HR2868+SATELLITE: SATELLITE OBSERVATIONS - July 28, 2006
HR2868
HR2868 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By
HR2868 HISTORY - 1905 MONUMENTED USGS
HR2868 HISTORY - 1952 GOOD USGS
HR2868 HISTORY - 1956 GOOD USGS
HR2868 HISTORY - 20060728 GOOD FRAME
HR2868
HR2868 STATION DESCRIPTION
HR2868
HR2868'DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1905
HR2868'STATION MARK--COPPER BOLT SET IN ROCK.
HR2868
HR2868 STATION RECOVERY (1952)
HR2868
HR2868'RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1952
HR2868'RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED BY USGS.
HR2868'
HR2868'LOCATED ABOUT 11 MI SW. OF TUOLUMNE MEADOWS RANGER STATION, 5.5
HR2868'MI E. OF YOSEMITE. ON HIGHEST POINT OF CLOUDS REST.
HR2868'
HR2868'TO REACH FROM TUOLUMNE MEADOWS RANGER STATION, DRIVE W. ON STATE
HR2868'HWY. 120 (TIOGA RD.) TO FORSYTH TRAIL AT WEST END OF TANAYA LAKE
HR2868'AND END OF RD. PACK 4.6 MI S. ON FORSYTH TRAIL TO CLOUDS REST
HR2868'TRAIL. TURN RIGHT 2.5 MI W. ON CLOUDS REST TRAIL TO HIGHEST POINT
HR2868'AND STATION. A 3-HOUR PACK.
HR2868'
HR2868'STATION MARK--LEAD BOLT STAMPED---VABM 9929---, CEMENTED IN DRILL
HR2868'HOLE IN LARGE GRANITE BOULDER.
HR2868
HR2868 STATION RECOVERY (1956)
HR2868
HR2868'RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1956
HR2868'RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED BY USGS.
HR2868'
HR2868'STATION MARK--LEAD PLUG IN DRILL HOLE STAMPED---324 EM---,
HR2868'(STAMPING VERY POOR). PREVIOUSLY REPORTED AS
HR2868'STAMPED---VA BM 9929---
HR2868'
HR2868'RM 1--STANDARD RM TABLET STAMPED---NO 1 1956---, CEMENTED IN DRILL
HR2868'HOLE IN TOP OF SOLID GRANITE.
HR2868'
HR2868'RM 2--STANDARD RM TABLET STAMPED---NO 2 1956---, CEMENTED IN DRILL
HR2868'HOLE IN TOP OF SOLID GRANITE.
HR2868
HR2868 STATION RECOVERY (2006)
HR2868
HR2868'RECOVERY NOTE BY FRAME SURVEYING AND MAPPING 2006 (JHF)
HR2868'STATION MARK AND BOTH REFERENCE MARKS RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED, EXCEPT
HR2868'THAT THE STATION MARK APPEARS TO BE ALUMINUM RATHER THAN LEAD OR
HR2868'COPPER, AND THE STAMPING HAS BEEN OBLITERATED.

*** retrieval complete.
Elapsed Time = 00:00:01
July 23, 2012 07:55PM
"Obliterated," huh? Data sheet must be referring to that wrinkled up knob?

And here's the info for the mythical marker on EAGLE:

PROGRAM = datasheet95, VERSION = 7.89.2
1 National Geodetic Survey, Retrieval Date = JULY 23, 2012
HR2874 ***********************************************************************
HR2874 DESIGNATION - EAGLE
HR2874 PID - HR2874
HR2874 STATE/COUNTY- CA/MARIPOSA
HR2874 COUNTRY - US
HR2874 USGS QUAD - HALF DOME (1992)
HR2874
HR2874 *CURRENT SURVEY CONTROL
HR2874 ______________________________________________________________________
HR2874* NAD 83(1992) POSITION- 37 44 45.64545(N) 119 36 52.96320(W) ADJUSTED
HR2874* NAD 83(1992) EPOCH - 1991.35
HR2874* NAVD 88 ORTHO HEIGHT - 2372.3 (meters) 7783. (feet) VERTCON
HR2874 ______________________________________________________________________
HR2874 GEOID HEIGHT - -25.57 (meters) GEOID12
HR2874 LAPLACE CORR - 0.42 (seconds) DEFLEC09
HR2874 HORZ ORDER - THIRD
HR2874
HR2874.The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods
HR2874.and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in March 1994.
HR2874.
HR2874.The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to
HR2874.the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)
HR2874
HR2874.The Laplace correction was computed from DEFLEC09 derived deflections.
HR2874
HR2874. The following values were computed from the NAD 83(1992) position.
HR2874
HR2874; North East Units Scale Factor Converg.
HR2874;SPC CA 3 - 638,652.595 2,078,017.747 MT 0.99992918 +0 32 31.2
HR2874;SPC CA 3 - 2,095,312.72 6,817,629.89 sFT 0.99992918 +0 32 31.2
HR2874;UTM 11 - 4,180,854.367 269,625.561 MT 1.00025374 -1 36 04.8
HR2874
HR2874! - Elev Factor x Scale Factor = Combined Factor
HR2874!SPC CA 3 - 0.99963189 x 0.99992918 = 0.99956110
HR2874!UTM 11 - 0.99963189 x 1.00025374 = 0.99988554
HR2874
HR2874 SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL
HR2874
HR2874 NAD 83(1986)- 37 44 45.61200(N) 119 36 52.96961(W) AD(1984.00) 3
HR2874 NGVD 29 (03/15/91) 2371.1 (m) 7779. (f) VERT ANG
HR2874
HR2874.Superseded values are not recommended for survey control.
HR2874
HR2874.NGS no longer adjusts projects to the NAD 27 or NGVD 29 datums.
HR2874.See file dsdata.txt to determine how the superseded data were derived.
HR2874
HR2874_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 11SKB6962580854(NAD 83)
HR2874
HR2874_MARKER: DS = TRIANGULATION STATION DISK
HR2874_SETTING: 80 = SET IN A BOULDER
HR2874_STABILITY: C = MAY HOLD, BUT OF TYPE COMMONLY SUBJECT TO
HR2874+STABILITY: SURFACE MOTION
HR2874
HR2874 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By
HR2874 HISTORY - 1905 MONUMENTED USGS
HR2874 HISTORY - 1956 GOOD USGS
HR2874
HR2874 STATION DESCRIPTION
HR2874
HR2874'DESCRIBED BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1905
HR2874'SEE 1956 RECOVERY FOR DESCRIPTION.
HR2874'
HR2874'STATION MARK--STANDARD TABLET CEMENTED IN ROCK.
HR2874
HR2874 STATION RECOVERY (1956)
HR2874
HR2874'RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1956
HR2874'RECOVERED AS DESCRIBED BY USGS.
HR2874'
HR2874'LOCATED ON NORTH SIDE OF YOSEMITE VALLEY, ON THE SUMMIT OF EAGLE
HR2874'POINT.
HR2874'
HR2874'TO REACH FROM YOSEMITE VALLEY TAKE YOSEMITE VALLEY AND EAGLE PEAK
HR2874'TRAIL.
HR2874'
HR2874'STATION MARK--STANDARD TABLET STAMPED---VA 7773 11-4-1905---,
HR2874'CEMENTED IN ROCK.
HR2874'
HR2874'RMS--NONE SET.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2012 07:55PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
September 13, 2012 08:42PM
Not a particularly exciting one, but BM 8428 in front of Fairview Dome

September 25, 2012 08:28AM
Here's one for you.

Good luck figuring it out.

(my guess is that you'll be drawing a blank)

September 25, 2012 11:37AM
It's too bad I'm not a geologist because one might be able to make an educated guess based on the granite. Hmm...Mt Williamson. Or let's go with Rocky Point. smiling smiley
February 15, 2013 10:21PM

Now fowl shares 10 new ones. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 10:24PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
February 25, 2013 11:43AM
Ohnivy-Drak

This should be worth 100 or so:

February 25, 2013 01:26PM
I would have expected Mt. Chick-On to be much taller than 5150 feet, esp. since it is almost definitely in Yosemite where 5150 barely gets you above the Valley floor... Or, maybe it's not really the elevation... but I've always been under the impression that Chick-On was a voluntarily participant, although he is usually rolled up in a plastic bag, stuffed in the sleeve of a jacket, and crammed into a backpack...
February 25, 2013 01:28PM
What are you saying? That he doesn't travel in first class? wink
February 25, 2013 01:31PM
chick-on
Ohnivy-Drak

Is this one of the benchmarks on the park's western (or former western) boundary? Possibly where the old Coulterville Road entered the park?

February 25, 2013 01:36PM
chick-on
Ohnivy-Drak

Next peak down from Mt. Photoshop?
February 25, 2013 02:22PM
That's the best you could do?

Maybe it's close to Mt. Bouillon? Crazy, eh?

February 25, 2013 03:46PM
chick-on

I was still half asleep. tongue sticking out smiley
February 25, 2013 03:55PM
You swallowed the meds?

One Flew Over the Chick-on Nest

eeek
chick-on

I was still half asleep. tongue sticking out smiley

October 29, 2012 08:41PM
October 30, 2012 06:52AM
Begs da ques-shun... ewe catch the one on Sentinel too?
And why not ewe post faux toe of full moon? Must have got one, no?

October 30, 2012 10:27AM
Maybe it got to be overcast at Taft Point that evening. wink
October 30, 2012 02:59PM
chick-on
Begs da ques-shun... ewe catch the one on Sentinel too?

Not this trip.

And why not ewe post faux toe of full moon? Must have got one, no?

Didn't take one. Was tired.
February 19, 2013 10:29PM
DANA (if this is a repeat, feel free to remove photo)

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
April 18, 2013 08:18PM
Chick-on and I located the BM at former site of Gentry's Ranger Station:

The NGS data seems to be mostly correct:

HR0762'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1958
HR0762'4.2 MI W FROM EL CAPITAN RANGER STATION.
HR0762'4.2 MILES WEST ALONG BIG OAK FLAT ROAD FROM EL CAPITAN RANGER
HR0762'STATION MARIPOSA COUNTY, IN YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, AT THE
HR0762'OLD SIDE OF GENTRY RANGER STATION, 55 FEET NORTH OF A TELEPHONE
HR0762'BOOTH, 60 FEET EAST OF THE CENTERLINE OF THE ROAD, AND AT THE
HR0762'END OF THE TWO-LANE ROAD. A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED D 270 1935
HR0762'AND SET IN THE TOP OF A CONCRETE POST. NOTE-- 38 FEET EAST
HR0762'OF A 60-INCH PINE AT EAST EDGE OF THE ROAD, AND 24 FEET NORTH
HR0762'OF A 48-INCH CEDAR IN A CLEARING.

The telephone booth no longer exists, but you can tell where the OBOFR narrows and where the old ranger station was (flat area east of road), just north of a gully, and both the "60-inch pine" and "48-inch cedar" are both there (I have to assume these dimensions are circumferences, not diameters...)

Going over older photos, I believe that the "48-inch cedar" is at the left of this picture, which is looking roughly south. The road is to the right. Gentry's Ranger Station was in the flat area in the foreground. The BM is probably behind me to the left:

HR0762 STATION RECOVERY (1958)
HR0762
HR0762'RECOVERY NOTE BY US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY 1958
HR0762'RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.
HR0762
HR0762 STATION RECOVERY (2011)
HR0762
HR0762'RECOVERY NOTE BY GEOCACHING 2011 (GAH)
HR0762'ON EAST SIDE OF OLD OAK FLAT ROAD, WHICH RUNS ALMOST NORTH TO SOUTH AT
HR0762'THIS POINT, THERE IS A CLEARED AND LEVEL AREA HERE WITH STONES
HR0762'ARRANGED TO MAKE A SMALL FIRE RING TOWARDS SOUTH END.
HR0762'MARK IS JUST EAST OF NORTHEAST CORNER OF AREA.
HR0762'NO SIGN OF RANGER STATION OR TELEPHONE BOOTH. COULD ONLY GUESS AT
HR0762'CENTER OF OLD OAK FLAT ROAD. OTHER ROAD NOT VISIBLE BUT APPARENTLY
HR0762'RAN INTO THIS FLAT AREA.
HR0762'TOO MANY TREES HERE FOR IT TO BE CLEAR WHICH WERE REFERENCED IN 1958
HR0762'DESCRIPTION.
HR0762'MARK IS SET IN ONE CONCRETE POST JUST ABOVE GROUND LEVEL WITH A
HR0762'SLIMMER, TALLER CONCRETE WITNESS POST VERY CLOSE BY.
HR0762'9 MINUTE AVERAGE WITH GARMIN GPSMAP60CSX YIELDED N37.73165 W119.69985
HR0762'AND 10.7 FOOT ERROR ESTIMATE.
HR0762'THIS IS ABOUT 156 FEET AT APPROXIMATELY 306.5 DEGREES FROM PUBLISHED
HR0762'POSITION, WHICH IS ACROSS A SMALL WASH FROM ACTUAL LOCATION.

The fire ring was not present, neither of us recalls seeing the taller witness post, and I don't understand the reference to "other road" (perhaps the confusion is that the OBOFR was two-way above Gentry's, but one way below it...). With the original NGS description in hand, the two trees were somewhat obvious--but this was my fourth trip here :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 08:31PM by basilbop.
April 22, 2013 01:43PM
basilbop

The telephone booth no longer exists...

Nor does the old El Capitan Ranger Station...

April 22, 2013 11:13PM
plawrence
basilbop

The telephone booth no longer exists...

Nor does the old El Capitan Ranger Station....

Ah, but the ranger stations were probably at those two spots because the old road was one way for some years between those points (on a schedule). A ranger had to be on hand at each end to reverse the flow, so to speak. The Gentry's ranger station would have had more elbow room if it had been built up where the El Cap trail comes in (at the site of Gentry's hotel and sawmill), but that would have been just outside the boundary of the original grant. So they put the park entry station at the first point on the road where they could place it inside the park. The El Cap station, of course, had no reason at all for existence except when traffic on the road required it, so it must have been established later than the Gentry's one. The Gentry's station would have been much older, and would have disappeared when the park boundary moved, except for the traffic thing....

As soon as the road was shut down for good, neither ranger station had any reason for existence.
April 22, 2013 09:29PM
The most challenging of all: gauging station @ Happy Isles. ****FLEX****

April 23, 2013 04:27PM
You can have fun finding the high water markers.... there's a few around the valley...

Need to go thru a bunch o faux toe sets and put them into the Benchmark Set...

Here's one for you to chew on....

April 23, 2013 04:44PM
Did you have to go poo on it? Definitely not gonna chew on it now.

chick-on
You can have fun finding the high water markers.... there's a few around the valley...

Need to go thru a bunch o faux toe sets and put them into the Benchmark Set...

Here's one for you to chew on....

April 23, 2013 04:51PM
I was so excited I couldn't help myself.

April 25, 2013 01:15PM
Albert, uploaded a bunch more to here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/BenchMarkers

Happy Hunting

April 25, 2013 04:26PM
chick-on
Albert, uploaded a bunch more to here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/BenchMarkers

Happy Hunting

Okey dokey Chickano!
May 01, 2013 11:06PM
DF8630: TMDW

June 25, 2013 07:20PM
Here are a few non-USGS Yosemite-area benchmarks that hopefully aren't already on this list:

Mt. Lyell headwaters basin, approx.1/4 mile south of Dome 11061:

East of the outlet of Maclure Lake (the orange circle/arrow is a big giveaway):

There was also a faint orange circle around the STA 1 marker.

Does anyone know if there are any other benchmarks in this 1949 STA # series?
June 25, 2013 10:14PM
I thought it quite strange to see this orange stuff at Maclure. Such a lovely lake.
(was wondering where #1 was... good job)
"They" had all kinds of bug catching devices and Glacier analyzing equip around
that area when came over Hell Hole and up Lyell in 2010 (where does the time go) sheesh.
Very cool thanks

June 29, 2013 06:08PM
I stumbled upon a benchmark on our way back from our failed Basket Dome attempt. It's located on a rock where the four trails intersect; to Tioga Rd, to North Dome, to Snow Creek, to Yosemite Falls. I should have taken a picture but I was too tired to think about by that time. The maker is so corroded and pitted that it is mostly unreadable. I think the date was 1905 but I'm not 100% sure. Anyone seen this one before?
June 29, 2013 07:59PM
I was sure Union Point would already be in here -- so how come I can't find it? *shrug*

It's the first benchmark I've ever seen that's installed upright instead of flat:

July 01, 2013 09:24AM
Oops, Union Point wasn't mentioned by name in this thread but it's in the other collection that chick-on links to, here.
May 04, 2015 12:30PM
You'd be surprised at how many "benchmarks" are set in vertical features (bridge abutments, rock ledges, etc.). Quite of few of the monuments that are pictured in this thread aren't really "benchmarks" but are "triangulation" stations (horizontal coordinates only, not vertical).
January 19, 2014 05:24PM
One I'm glad to say isn't in Yosemite:

March 09, 2014 11:40PM
eeek
One I'm glad to say isn't in Yosemite

At the bottom of a certain set of cables was a rather appropriate spot for this.
March 09, 2014 11:37PM
Monument Peak, Fremont/Milpitas area. Not difficult to obtain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login