Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome weather

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome weather
August 19, 2011 08:30PM
What's the best way to stay updated on weather while hiking Half Dome? Is there a particular Twitter feed or website that sends out the most up to date and accurate info? And hows the cell phone reception up there?
August 19, 2011 08:52PM
clankfu
What's the best way to stay updated on weather while hiking Half Dome? Is there a particular Twitter feed or website that sends out the most up to date and accurate info? And hows the cell phone reception up there?

A walkie-talkie with NOAA broadcast capability. When it's time to go up the cables read the warning sign and check for the immediate conditions like thunder, lighting, rain, clouds covering the dome, etc.

Old Dude
August 19, 2011 08:59PM
mrcondron
clankfu

A walkie-talkie with NOAA broadcast capability. When it's time to go up the cables read the warning sign and check for the immediate conditions like thunder, lighting, rain, clouds covering the dome, etc.

Checking the weather before ascending the cables was my main concern. I buddy's bringing his walkie-talkies but I'll have to ask if it has NOAA broadcast capability.
August 19, 2011 09:04PM
clankfu
mrcondron
clankfu

Checking the weather before ascending the cables was my main concern. I buddy's bringing his walkie-talkies but I'll have to ask if it has NOAA broadcast capability.

Actually any NOAA radio receiver will do but a lot of the newer WTs have the NOAA feature. Also when you get to the cables just looking around is usually good enough. If the sky is clear you are good to go. If there is any weather nearby then think things over.

Check out Chick-on here: http://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 09:07PM by mrcondron.
August 19, 2011 09:21PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the tip.
August 20, 2011 09:22AM
The Weather Channel has text message weather reports. Sign up and enter 95389 to get Yosemite weather. It is a valley report I assume, but Half Dome is so close to the valley I would think rain for Half Dome would be in the report. I camped at Sunrise Creek and had cell reception. Follow the directions on the web site and you can get the forecast or warnings for the day of or the next day depending on what time the text is sent. Ken
August 20, 2011 09:27AM
traildad
The Weather Channel has text message weather reports. Sign up and enter 95389 to get Yosemite weather. It is a valley report I assume, but Half Dome is so close to the valley I would think rain for Half Dome would be in the report. I camped at Sunrise Creek and had cell reception. Follow the directions on the web site and you can get the forecast or warnings for the day of or the next day depending on what time the text is sent. Ken

Awesome. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login