Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Favorite swimming hole or swimming area in Yosemite?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Favorite swimming hole or swimming area in Yosemite?
August 19, 2011 08:34PM
Can someone recommend a nice spot?
avatar Re: Favorite swimming hole or swimming area in Yosemite?
August 19, 2011 08:45PM
clankfu

Already have! I enjoyed swimming in Matthes Lake when I backpacked there in Late July, mentioned it in my 'trip report/pictures' post. Tenaya Lake's nice as well, I like the small granite outcrop along the road towards the southwest end of the lake, but not all the way southwest. I've enjoyed Young Lakes, Ten Lakes...

You might want to be a bit more specific in your request - are you OK w/ cold water? Do you want isolated locations, areas you can day hike to, backpack,...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 08:47PM by ttilley.
August 19, 2011 08:57PM
ttilley
clankfu

Already have! I enjoyed swimming in Matthes Lake when I backpacked there in Late July, mentioned it in my 'trip report/pictures' post. Tenaya Lake's nice as well, I like the small granite outcrop along the road towards the southwest end of the lake, but not all the way southwest. I've enjoyed Young Lakes, Ten Lakes...

You might want to be a bit more specific in your request - are you OK w/ cold water? Do you want isolated locations, areas you can day hike to, backpack,...?

I just figured the water would be pretty cold everywhere this year considering the snowpack. Are there some spots warmer than others?

We wouldn't mind a relatively short and easy hike to any spots. Thanks for the suggestions.
August 19, 2011 09:05PM
Of the locations I mentioned only the Tenaya Lake one meets the 'short and easy hike' (i.e.: none) criterion. I'm not drawn to the beach or any of the immediate roadside locations for swimming, I like the rocks I mentioned because they're just enough off the road to provide a sense of peace, and because I prefer to swim w/ quick access to deep water and some nice rocks to warm up on when I'm done.
August 20, 2011 10:55PM
clankfu

I just figured the water would be pretty cold everywhere this year considering the snowpack. Are there some spots warmer than others?

Yes. There's a swimming spot I know in Yosemite Valley where the water is nice and warm and it has a great view of Upper Yosemite Falls too! (but it can get a bit crowded with young kids, especially in the afternoons): the Yosemite Lodge pool. wink

(And don't worry, it's open to non-guests too for a slight day-use charge.)
August 21, 2011 09:43PM
plawrence
clankfu

Yes. There's a swimming spot I know in Yosemite Valley where the water is nice and warm and it has a great view of Upper Yosemite Falls too! (but it can get a bit crowded with young kids, especially in the afternoons): the Yosemite Lodge pool. wink

There's the one at Curry too. If you're camping, the fee also means you can take a shower.
August 21, 2011 10:45PM
y_p_w
plawrence
clankfu

There's the one at Curry too. If you're camping, the fee also means you can take a shower.

But I've been to both, and IMHO Curry Villiage's pool is inferior to the Yosemite Lodge's pool.

Curry's is a smaller pool along with a smaller poolside deck and with no great views of the surrounding park.

OTOH, the Yosemite Lodge pool has a great unobstructed view of Upper Yosemite Fall. It's larger and the poolside deck is more spacious. (And like the pool at Curry Village, the Yosemite Lodge Pool also has adjacent men's and women's showers). Plus, there's an ice cream stand right next to the entrance of the Yosemite Lodge Pool. wink
August 19, 2011 09:22PM
That spot on Tenaya Lake you mentioned - how hard is it to get to?
August 19, 2011 09:27PM
Trivial. Its right at the crosshair at the center of the map here: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.82843,-119.46752&z=16&t=T

Edit: I should clarify...if you're taking small children, this would not be my recommendation. Note I like rocks that lead right to the lake w/ quick access to deep water...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 09:31PM by ttilley.
August 19, 2011 09:37PM
Thanks for the tip!
August 19, 2011 09:51PM
An easy one to get to...from the Tuolumne Meadows wilderness permit station parking lot, head due south on a use trail, around the west side of Puppy Dome a couple hundred yards, maybe, to the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne. There is a pretty little swimming hole below a 4 or 5 foot drop off in the stream.
Another good one is on Yosemite Creek, about a mile south of where the creek crosses the Tioga Road.
Have fun and be smart and safe!
August 19, 2011 11:52PM
Bearproof
An easy one to get to...from the Tuolumne Meadows wilderness permit station parking lot, head due south on a use trail, around the west side of Puppy Dome a couple hundred yards, maybe, to the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne. There is a pretty little swimming hole below a 4 or 5 foot drop off in the stream.
Another good one is on Yosemite Creek, about a mile south of where the creek crosses the Tioga Road.

I'll definitely look into that since we're staying at Crane Flat. Gracias.
August 20, 2011 07:30AM
Bearproof

Is there cliff jumping at that Yosemite creek swimming hole?
August 20, 2011 07:28AM
clankfu

Emerald Pool?
August 20, 2011 09:06AM
chicagocwright

Emerald Pool?

I hope that is a joke. (Even if it were it would not be funny at all)

Emerald pool is signed as a prohibited place to swim with many drownings having occurred there. So definitely not a recommendation.

August 20, 2011 05:16PM
chicagocwright
clankfu

Emerald Pool?

no, stop, enough!
August 20, 2011 08:33AM
Head up the Tuolumne from the TM campground and you will find pool after pool...many with beaches, many with large granite sun bathing benches. And some without other people.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 20, 2011 10:49AM
Best thing about the TM campground pools...is that there so few people around.We also lay around the rocks near the campground and slide down the natural water slide there. As long as there is a warm rock around its great.
August 20, 2011 12:07PM
ryanmj
I would call it rock jumping...the cliff jumping is about 5 miles downstream...but don't do it there.
August 21, 2011 12:53PM
Bearproof
ryanmj
I would call it rock jumping...the cliff jumping is about 5 miles downstream...but don't do it there.

A local my girlfriend met told her about a cliff jumping spot somewhere along that creek but she didnt get specifics, how tall are the cliffs down stream?
August 21, 2011 02:23PM
ryanmj
Bearproof
ryanmj

A local my girlfriend met told her about a cliff jumping spot somewhere along that creek but she didnt get specifics, how tall are the cliffs down stream?

The ones I said to not do..... are about 3000 feet high...Embaressed
August 21, 2011 02:57PM
There is a section of the Merced River about 1/2-1mile below Merced Lake where you can waterslide on the smooth granite into a pool. But that would be a tough day hike from the valley up and back down.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
August 21, 2011 04:55PM
Bearproof
ryanmj
Bearproof
ryanmj

The ones I said to not do..... are about 3000 feet high...Embaressed
haha Yea imnot really into the ones you can only do once
August 20, 2011 03:43PM
Most Sierra lakes including all mentioned are simply too chilly to really enjoy swimming. Oh one can have fun jumping in briefly but not like what one can enjoy in a real warm water lake. I am somewhat notorious for jumping in lakes and streams regardless how cold most days I backpack as I like being clean at night in my sleeping bag. But we get in and out real fast. It does give me a lot of experience with water temperatures.

There are many no name shallow ponds in the high country that warm up to moderately cool temps. But by the time of summer that happens many are full of little squirming organisms or worse look like tea. Even lowest elevation lakes in the 6k to 8k range tend to be cool because many are deep and afternoon winds cause surface waters to pile up towards the leeward shore that cause upwelling of cold water mid lake. Sometimes during calm days during hot weather, lower elevation lakes can be reasonable but as soon as one dives down more than a few feet one notices how cool it is below. I've often thought these famous no name lakes are your best bet because not only are they some of the lowest elevation granitoid glaciated lakes, but they are on the sunny side of their west to east canyons meaning they are in the sun most of a day and winds are often mildest at canyon bottoms.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.04055,-119.78080&z=15&t=T

The warmest most pleasant places to swim in by mid August tend to be lower elevation streams that have large late spring flows but dry up or nearly so by late summer. Those with small flows through long glaciated granitoid bedrock stretches can be best. Such places tend to be warmer because there are often sections of long shallow pools that are readily warmed by the daytime sun and then that water will flow downstream into deeper pools where one might have fun especially if there are water slides, potholes, and cliff jumps. Not far from the above lake area is this area of Eleanor Creek that I would expect would be like this, especially the area at 5200 feet right below the access route north of Laurel Lake.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.00820,-119.81483&z=15&t=T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 03:44PM by DavidSenesac.
August 20, 2011 04:54PM
I know a great place that hardly anyone knows about..... which is why I can't mention it.Llama
August 20, 2011 05:30PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions.
August 20, 2011 07:31PM
clankfu
Kibbie Lake or Lake Eleanor. Oh yeah, Gravel Pit Lake at times and Swamp Lake too.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 07:33PM by mrcondron.
August 20, 2011 07:34PM
mrcondron
Kibbie Lake or Lake Eleanor. Oh yeah, Gravel Pit Lake at times and Swamp Lake too.

Not Table Lake?
August 20, 2011 07:40PM
eeek
mrcondron

Not Table Lake?

God no!!

Old Dude
August 20, 2011 07:44PM
mrcondron
eeek
mrcondron

Not Table Lake?

God no!!

Rolling on floor laugh
August 22, 2011 06:53AM
Frank Burger will get a kick outta this one:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/219331/paradise_pools_yosemites_hidden_treasure.html

I'm no stinking duck... so I usuallys stays outta da wawa. But I really like Cherry Creek Canyon swim-on.
And Kibbie, and sweet pond near Seavey Pass. Gravel Pit has too many water plants to make it
enjoyable and safe nowadayz imo. I can't wait for someone to come back after hearing OD recommend
Swamp Lake Rolling on floor laugh . You have been warned... Rancheria has a sweet little slide.
Heck, GCT is palatable once the water goes down more..

So I guess the answer is I don't have one.

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 22, 2011 04:00PM
If you are coming from the Hwy 120 side, about 15 miles before the entrance gate is Rainbow Pools. A fork of the Tuolumne River flows under the road and there is a turnout with a parking lot.

It can be a bit crowded and littered, but it is a great spot for a swim and has a nice 20+ ft jump off a rock next to a waterfall. If the parking lot is full, just keep on going...it's not worth it.

You can look it up online for details. Enjoy!

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
August 22, 2011 07:55PM
I know it may be a bit lame, but I enjoyed the swimming pool at Yosemite Lodge. At least it is a bit warmer than the lakes and rivers, you won't get swept over a waterfall, and if you swim over by the south lifeguard chair, there is a spot where you can see Sentinel Rock and Upper Yosemite Falls at the same time. It is also arguably historic as it is the only part of the original pre-1920 Lodge that remains (see my first post).

View of Half Dome from Switchback 27 of the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail.
August 23, 2011 01:03AM
Brewer
I know it may be a bit lame, but I enjoyed the swimming pool at Yosemite Lodge. At least it is a bit warmer than the lakes and rivers, you won't get swept over a waterfall, and if you swim over by the south lifeguard chair, there is a spot where you can see Sentinel Rock and Upper Yosemite Falls at the same time. It is also arguably historic as it is the only part of the original pre-1920 Lodge that remains (see my first post).

When I'm relaxing at the Yosemite Lodge Pool, I can't help feel that I'm back east is some old-time mountain resort up in the Catskills, except with a lot nicer cliffs and mountains surrounding the pool. Some might feel that it's a bit decadent and out of place to have such a nice large pool in the middle of a National Park, but after some nice long and hot day-hikes in the summer, it's definitely a treat to be able to cool off in relative safety in that pool, and enjoy an ice cream cone to boot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login