Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Overnight parking?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Overnight parking?
August 20, 2011 05:27PM
Crane Flat has a 2 car maximum so I was wondering if there was overnight parking nearby for our 3rd car. Preferably close to Crane Flat but if not, the Valley would be fine. Any recommendations?
Re: Overnight parking?
August 20, 2011 09:22PM
Check with the rangers when you enter the park. There is a parking area just outside of the park on the Big Oak Flat Road....it's on the right as you enter.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 20, 2011 09:30PM
balzaccom
Check with the rangers when you enter the park. There is a parking area just outside of the park on the Big Oak Flat Road....it's on the right as you enter.

Thank you!
August 20, 2011 11:29PM
balzaccom

I wouldn't consider that area outside of the park as being nearby to the Crane Flat Campground though. It's near the Hodgdon Meadow campground, but not Crane Flat.

I dont know what the exact official regulations are in regards to overnight parking, but in Yosemite I have often seen vehicles parked overnight at many of the legal pullouts along Big Oak Flat Road (and elsewhere). And when I drive by in the morning, these vehicles are NOT ticketed, so I think it's probably fine to park in one of those legal (paved) pullouts AS LONG AS NO ONE IN SLEEPING INSIDE the vehicle overnight. That is what is strictly enforced. But a car left overnight (unoccupied) appears to be o.k..

But to be on the safe side, just ask one of rangers at one of the vistor centers (be it the Valley Vistor Center or the Vistor Center at the Big Oak Flat Entrance).

And wherever you end up parking that third car, make extra sure that there's absolutely NOTHING inside of the car that would entice a bear to break into it.
August 20, 2011 11:39PM
Yea, I'll double check with a ranger. Thanks.
August 21, 2011 12:16AM
And before you leave for Yosemite, I'll also suggest that you phone the Yosemite Campgrounds Office (209-372-8502) and ask for their recommendation on where to park the third car. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a very practical location where to park it close to the Crane Flat Campground. There even might be a location within the campground itself where it could be parked legally. Anyway, it won't hurt to call them and ask for their suggestion.)
August 21, 2011 12:17AM
plawrence
And before you leave for Yosemite, I'll also suggest that you phone the Yosemite Campgrounds Office (209-372-8502) and ask for their recommendation on where to park the third car. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a very practical location where to park it close to the Crane Flat Campground. There even might be a location within the campground itself where it could be parked legally. Anyway, it won't hurt to call them and ask for their suggestion.)

I've been looking for a phone number that wasn't a recording. Thanks again!
August 21, 2011 02:14AM
plawrence

I dont know what the exact official regulations are in regards to overnight parking, but in Yosemite I have often seen vehicles parked overnight at many of the legal pullouts along Big Oak Flat Road (and elsewhere). And when I drive by in the morning, these vehicles are NOT ticketed, so I think it's probably fine to park in one of those legal (paved) pullouts AS LONG AS NO ONE IN SLEEPING INSIDE the vehicle overnight. That is what is strictly enforced. But a car left overnight (unoccupied) appears to be o.k..

But to be on the safe side, just ask one of rangers at one of the vistor centers (be it the Valley Vistor Center or the Vistor Center at the Big Oak Flat Entrance).

I've parked off Tioga Rd in turnouts more than a few times when going in cross country. As long as you check with the rangers before you do it, you're fine and you cover all your bases.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login