All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

YNP Bear Stats
August 23, 2011 09:19AM
This info isn't intended to re-kindle the closed hunting thread – it provides interesting data on how the bear/human interaction within the park is fairing this year vs. other timeframes. It's taken from the 8/22/2011 Yosemite Daily Report: http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/index.htm

Re: YNP Bear Stats
August 23, 2011 01:54PM
Wow, 1998 was a really bad year. It looks like people are starting to be more careful with their food storage, garbage disposal and keeping scented things out of their cars. Unfortunately, there is always someone who doesn't follow the rules.

I hate it when I see how many bears have been hit. I can't imagine how horrible I would feel if I hit a bear.
August 23, 2011 03:27PM
parklover
I can't imagine how horrible I would feel if I hit a bear.

I know that feeling from experience. And, no, I wasn't speeding.
August 23, 2011 03:44PM
eeek
parklover
I can't imagine how horrible I would feel if I hit a bear.

I know that feeling from experience. And, no, I wasn't speeding.

And yet the Park Service likes to imply that it's speeding cars that kills bears.

You know firsthand that you don't have to be speeding to inadvertently strike a bear with your car.
August 23, 2011 04:00PM
Based on this:

Relationship of Vehicle Speed to Odds of Pedestrian Death in Collision

Vehicle Speed | Odds of Pedestrian Death, Source 1 | Odds of Pedestrian Death, Source 2
20 mph | 5% | 5%
30 mph | 45% | 37%
40 mph | 85% | 83%

it may not make a difference in whether you hit a bear, but in whether is survives. These statistics are for people, but it is reasonable to assume that for bears, while the numbers would be different, the radical increase in death as the speed increases would remain. Bears don't typically receive medical attention when hit, but they are sturdier than people.

Chart taken from:
http://humantransport.org/sidewalks/SpeedKills.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 04:02PM by Hitech.
August 23, 2011 04:02PM
Hitech
it may not make a difference in whether you hit a bear, but in whether is survives.

In my case I was probably down to under 20 when we hit. The speed limit was 35 and the cars in front of me prevented going even that fast. The bear got up and ran away after been hit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login