All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report - TML to Vogelsang to Merced Lake to Curry
August 23, 2011 12:46PM
Last week, I did the one way trip from Tuolumne Meadows to Happy Isles. First I headed to Vogelsang via Rafferty Creek. The trail in this section was great. The meadow near the Tuolumne Pass was covered in wildflowers and still green. The mosquitos started getting pesky near Tuolumne Pass and continued being a nuisance at Vogelsang. Bring a head net.

I'd like to thank highsierra1, the manager of Vogelsang for running a very friendly, inviting and efficiently-run High Sierra Camp. We had great meals. (How do the mules get raspberries and blueberries up there without the berries being mushy?) The salmon was great and the chilaquiles for breakfast were really yummy.

The next day I hiked from Vogelsang via Fletcher Creek to Merced Lake. There was one short creek crossing at which I had to take off boots and socks and wade. Other than that this was an easy walk in the park until I got to the Cobblestone Stairways from Hell. These stairways are very slow going and run for about 3 miles. It was such a relief to get to the bottom, see the Ranger Station and have only .8 miles left to the Merced Lake High Sierra Camp.

Merced Lake was great. No mosquitos. A beautiful waterfall and cool pools in the Merced River to soak hot feet. The showers were the perfect temperature and felt great. They also have a small washtub, an old fashioned washboard and soap for washing your dirty socks or whatever else. The meals were great here too. Pork carnitas for dinner. Pesto eggs and pancakes for breakfast. I do wish that the staff had gotten the breakfast out earlier. It was 45 minutes late. I was hiking the 14 miles to Happy Isles and time counted. I didn't want to be hiking the JMT in the dark.

The 14 miles from Merced Lake to the Valley is one of the most spectacular hikes I've ever taken, especially the steep canyon around Moraine Dome and the Bunnell Cascades. Little Yosemite Valley was a bit of a disappointment. I suppose I just expected more. For me, this trail was pretty easy also. There was one section of switchbacks near the cascades. The easy walk stopped at the switchbacks for the JMT from Nevada Falls to Happy Isles. I think at that point I was just tired and felt like I should be down and done already.

This was truly a great hiking experience. We didn't see any bears or rattlesnakes. The wildflowers were tremendous and the waterfalls were really gushing. A great trip.
avatar Re: Trip Report - TML to Vogelsang to Merced Lake to Curry
August 23, 2011 04:06PM
Mom, sorry I haven't called in awhile. Thanks for sharon.

(p.s. I hears u about the Cobbley Stones... argh!)

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login