All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Campsite fit for a Chick-on a la King
August 23, 2011 09:03PM
Ran across this in the backcountry... a way off trail...

Anyone that knows me... knows this drives me nuts... this one... I just was Rolling on floor laugh and left it alone...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Campsite fit for a Chick-on a la King
August 23, 2011 09:21PM
Oh my gourd. Too much. It appears the same exterior decorator passed through the cliff area at the top of Snow Creek when I was there first week of June.
Too bad I didn't take a photo. I'll kick over pointless cairns, but I'm still regretting that I didn't attempt to dismantle the egotistical love-seats.
avatar Re: Campsite fit for a Chick-on a la King
August 24, 2011 06:32AM
Was it here: (near BM 6700 ?)

The thing that frosts my balls is seeing a fire ring where there wasn't one
a year or so earlier. This is yet another location that fits the bill...
There wasn't one here in 2009.

August 24, 2011 08:32AM
Yeah, out there near Bm6700 ( Does that mean there is one of those USGS metal discs up there? I never really think to look for those.)
Obnoxious fire ring w/ chairs I think was somewhere around here to photographers left:

Snow Creek Trail by MangosteenKate, on Flickr

The one that really chapped my hide was farther out on the bluff totally marring the wonderful, sandy expanse. Right there plop in the middle of everything.
It's alway interesting to be totally alone and while infuriated with no one to express your anger with. Hulk Smash!!
Hulk smash worthy location of other fire ring:

Snow Creek Bluff by MangosteenKate, on Flickr

I like it up here and I don't remember quite so many rings the few times I've hiked up here to while away a day. The shear scale of some of the old ones farther back in the trees rival the Ahwahnee's walk-in fireplaces. Why people??!!
August 24, 2011 10:32AM
"Generations of families had been coming to these [illegally improved] spots for years -- sometimes kicking out other campers who were squatting on their campsite. Imagine their surprise when they couldn't find their campsite and a young, mustached Ranger Randy materialized out of the woods to explain that the area was being 'naturalized.'

'Natural-what? I just want to know where my fireplace is!'"

- From The Last Season by Eric Blehm
August 24, 2011 01:34PM
IMO too many think they're doing a great favor to mankind by building a firering.

BM6700 is just marked as an X on the USGS map. There's no metal disk there.

I try to not let it bother me too much... but I kinda get depressed when I see this stuff.

I put it in the same category as the craploads of new graffiti I get to see on a weekly
basis on my walk to work.

Sigh

August 23, 2011 09:49PM
chick-on
Ran across this in the backcountry... a way off trail...

Anyone that knows me... knows this drives me nuts... this one... I just was Rolling on floor laugh and left it alone...

Left it alone? Right!

I see that you two love birds took full advantage of one of the love seats! wink
August 23, 2011 10:02PM
I wonder how much of this kind of thing has been inspired over the last few years by Andy Goldsworthy? I seem to see more and more elaborate constructions etc these days. sigh.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 23, 2011 10:50PM
balzaccom
I wonder how much of this kind of thing has been inspired over the last few years by Andy Goldsworthy? I seem to see more and more elaborate constructions etc these days. sigh.

A lot of it has been there for decades if not half a century. For instance there was a quite elaborate set up like that at Flintstone Camp in Cherry Creek (which I suspect is how Flintstone had gotten its name) that had been there for the better part of last century., The forest service demolished that one some years back. There's also a similar set up at Hyatt Lake in the Emigrant. Not sure where that one was at, but most of those set ups have been there a long time. If they're in more traveled areas or areas with trails that go in to them, the rangers will demolish them. Crosscountry and the middle of nowhere, they last for decades.

I am curious as to where Chick-on had flown to cross country to find that one. Maybe somewhere nestled way far back on a ridge above Ten Lakes?
August 24, 2011 06:38AM
Nope. It's near Starr King. A couple miles off trail.

I've found other crap on ridges in the Illilouette Basin... such as about 20 gallon jugs of water on another ridge...

Last weekend found yet another balloon, a camera case, and a water bottle, ... o... and one Marmut Skull and Jawbone.

August 24, 2011 05:10PM
Yeah i found a mylar balloon the last time out. It averages out to be about 3 times a year I come across those in the backcountry.
August 24, 2011 11:21PM
oakroscoe

Yeah i found a mylar balloon the last time out. It averages out to be about 3 times a year I come across those in the backcountry.

I guess they don't quite make it over the crest of the Sierra into Nevada. Maybe if they had been filled with a bit more helium, they would have. wink
August 24, 2011 08:05AM
You probably like this one even less...

No, it is not in Yosemite. It's been there for 20 years or so.
August 24, 2011 02:38PM
Hitech

First thing that comes to mind.....Marijuana plantation nearby...camp is for the workers.... Just a guess.
August 24, 2011 04:27PM
mtn man
[First thing that comes to mind.....Marijuana plantation nearby...camp is for the workers.... Just a guess.

Nothing so exotic. Just a little campsite on a river in the Sierras. The site has been used as a campsite (with fire ring) for over 100 years. The tables and chairs were added about 20 years ago. Everyone who stays there leaves things basically in-tack.
August 26, 2011 05:56PM
Hitech
Sierras.

Do I have to put "Sierras" in the bad word table?
August 26, 2011 06:06PM
eeek
Hitech
Sierras.

Do I have to put "Sierras" in the bad word table?

Only when one is not referring to several 'mountain ranges.'
August 24, 2011 05:09PM
mtn man
Hitech

First thing that comes to mind.....Marijuana plantation nearby...camp is for the workers.... Just a guess.

Nah, they'd have different gear and it would be a LOT more messy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login