Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Non-free standing tent

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Non-free standing tent
August 26, 2011 11:20AM
I'm considering buying a SMD Lunar Duo for my GF and I but I'm a little concerned with limitations on site selection. Most of our trips will be Yosemite high country with our next outing being to Vogelsang HSC. We're also planning trips to Kings Canyon/Sequoia.

Does anyone forsee site selection issues in this tent? It requires 6 stakes for a complete pitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 11:41AM by Scogg.
avatar Re: Non-free standing tent
August 26, 2011 12:01PM
This one?

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=37&category_id=7&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=110

I wouldn't imagine you'd have difficulties backpacking with this. I thought most previously impacted sites would be pretty large. If you want to use it for car camping, then there's the occasional site that might have a dedicated tent pad or area. I remember camping where there was a specific area that was 10'x12' with a pathway leading to it from the parking pad. We used a Sierra Designs Sirius 3, where we staked it pretty close to the boundary of the tent area (which were bushes). A tent like the one you're thinking of might be a little bit tight for such a site.
August 26, 2011 12:06PM
Yeah we'd mostly be using it for backpacking. I was concerned mostly w/rocky ground, etc. I haven't camped much in the Sierras (just yosemite a bit) and wasn't sure how often a person is forced to sleep on granite (unstakeable).

Also, yep, that's the tentsmiling smiley
August 26, 2011 12:16PM
Scogg
Yeah we'd mostly be using it for backpacking. I was concerned mostly w/rocky ground, etc. I haven't camped much in the Sierras (just yosemite a bit) and wasn't sure how often a person is forced to sleep on granite (unstakeable).

Also, yep, that's the tentsmiling smiley

Generally, you'll find that condensation inside the tent (since it is single walled) is going to be much more of a problem than finding a site to stake it.
August 27, 2011 05:17AM
When I did the 222-mile John Muir Trail from Yose to Whitney Portal, there was only 1 of the 17-nights that was on granite. I used rocks instead of tent stakes. I slept fine on my 2/3 length Thermarest. I used a Tarptent and the only time I had condensation was when I camped next to a river and didn't do that again.
JD
August 26, 2011 12:36PM
Thanks for the warning Szalkowski. I've done my research re: condensation and people generally love this shelter. It's a bit of an experiment for me. I'll sell it if it doesn't work out. This model seems to hold it's resell value well.

The big draw for me is that it's larger than my Marmot Twilight2 and weighs half of what that tent does.
August 26, 2011 01:13PM
I asked this same question, and chick-on said it is no issue. He just finds large rocks and places them on top of the ends of the guy lines (where the guy line touches the ground).
August 26, 2011 01:22PM
I've been a tarptent owner for years and rarely have trouble finding a place to pitch. It helps to have some extra guyline (I use triptease) and the skillz to tie it and anchor rocks securely, but it's never been a problem.

Of course, I tend to be one of those people who puts in time and effort to find an 'ideal' campsite once I reach my destination - if you're someone who likes to drop your pack at the first campsite and make do, it might not be as easy.
August 26, 2011 02:54PM
calipidder

I've been a tarptent owner for years and rarely have trouble finding a place to pitch. It helps to have some extra guyline (I use triptease) and the skillz to tie it and anchor rocks securely, but it's never been a problem.

Which Tarptent tent do you own? I thought most can be configured in as a free standing tent if you carry along the optional extra pole.
August 26, 2011 03:02PM
The original/older tarptents (like the Virga, cloudburst) did not have a free standing alternative. I have a Rainbow (which does) but I often find it quicker and easier to use rocks.
August 26, 2011 03:42PM
Do you have the standard Rainbow or the Double Rainbow? I've been considering the Double Rainbow as an option to Lunar Duo. Both seem like great tents. Part of my leaning toward the Lunar Duo is that all TarpTent tents are on backorder for a few weeks right now.
August 26, 2011 09:20PM
I bought the rainbow as a solo tent shortly after they came out. I love it. It's the perfect summer Sierra shelter for me when I'm solo. Because I loved it so much I got the double for when my husband is with me. That didn't work out so well - too cramped to avoid condensation, etc. If you are solo I'd say go for it - tons of comfortable space and I have survived many a Sierra storm. But as is the case with all single walled shelters, condensation can be a problem.
August 26, 2011 08:33PM
calipidder
Which Tarptent tent do you own? I thought most can be configured in as a free standing tent if you carry along the optional extra pole.

I've used a plain 9'X12' waterproof tarp with hiking sticks as poles. When hiking with others we had extra hiking sticks that allowed the tarp to be set up as a wind screen or as a rain shelter.

These days I've been rigging such using both stakes and rocks:

The bottom gap can be reduced to nothing by shortening the hiking sticks.
Here is a link to the tarp: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=76

The spoon by the boots:

We found it where we pitched. Someone going ultralight.

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 08:39PM by mrcondron.
August 26, 2011 02:16PM
herosemblem
I asked this same question, and chick-on said it is no issue. He just finds large rocks and places them on top of the ends of the guy lines (where the guy line touches the ground).

I've used a tarp tent for a few years and it's been no problem even in wind, rain, or snow. I've always used rocks to guy it out except as noted below. A handy thing to do is put the rocks in plastic shopping bags and then tie the guys to the handle of the bags. Sand can be used at a place like Benson Lake and snow can be used in winter.

A tarp will not keep bugs at bay, neither the flying kind nor the crawling kind. Be sure everyone is comfortable with that.

Old Dude
August 26, 2011 03:43PM
"A handy thing to do is put the rocks in plastic shopping bags and then tie the guys to the handle of the bags."

That seems like a great trick. Thanks!
August 26, 2011 03:06PM
My son's tent is similar with a slightly smaller footprint. We have not had any trouble finding spots to set it up in the Yosemite backcountry, but we prefer to camp near lakes or streams rather than in view sites out on exposed granite.

Rather than camping in the backpacking sites adjacent to Vogelsang HSC, we prefer places that are prettier and just a bit further from civilization. But you'll have lots & lots of options to set up this tent near the HSC, if that's your choice.
August 26, 2011 03:44PM
I have the same site preference as you. This trip is actually a group of 8, two of which are staying in the HSC cabins so we'll probably end up staying nearby to be part of the group.

Thanks for the input.
August 26, 2011 04:15PM
Scogg
I have the same site preference as you. This trip is actually a group of 8, two of which are staying in the HSC cabins so we'll probably end up staying nearby to be part of the group.

There is a nice tree-covered rise approx. 0.1 mile N of the trail at the E end of Fletcher Lake.
(Sufficiently removed from both the HSC and the pterodactyl mosquitos that inhabit the adjacent meadow.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 04:22PM by szalkowski.
August 26, 2011 08:58PM
Awesome. I'll look for it.
August 27, 2011 01:05AM
I have used my Wenzel Starlight three times in Yosemite and three other times in the Sierras. There are times when staking it out is an extra problem. My last trip I had to run the guy rope over a log before staking it down. Last year I tied the line to a branch and dropped the branch off a ledge to keep tension on the line. Condensation has been a problem. I had to take my towel in at night so I could dry it out before I moved much in the morning to keep from being "rained" on. Two of the days had ice on the inside and that was interesting. I put up with it since it only weighs 3.4lbs and cost under $30.

Not bad for under $30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 01:06AM by traildad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login