Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite National Park Remains Open

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite National Park Remains Open
August 26, 2011 03:56PM
Yosemite National Park Remains Open (August 2011)
Date: August 26, 2011

Motor Fire West of Highway 140 Entrance Continues to Burn

Yosemite National Park remains fully open and operational while a wildfire burns west of the park in Mariposa County. Although the Highway 140 entrance into the park is closed, Highways 120 and 41 remain open and all visitor services are available within the park. Additionally, the Tioga Road remains open for visitors entering the park via Highway 395.

A wildfire, named the Motor Fire, was started yesterday when a motorhome caught fire on Highway 140 approximately 10 miles west of the Arch Rock Entrance. The fire quickly spread to both sides of the Merced River and burned through the river canyon. Initial attack on the fire began immediately.

As of noon today, the fire is still in initial attack stage and has grown to approximately 3,000 acres. The fire is being managed by the Sierra National Forest and Stanislaus National Forest, with cooperation from the National Park Service, Mariposa County Sheriff's Office, Mariposa County Fire, the California Highway Patrol, CalFire, and several other agencies. Approximately 650 firefighters, air tankers, and helicopters are currently battling the fire. More resources are coming in throughout the day.

Yosemite Valley remains relatively smoke free and visitors with reservations within the park are encouraged to keep their plans. Additionally, the Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal is accessible through Yosemite Valley and out the Arch Rock Entrance Station.

Highway 140 remains closed approximately 10 miles east of Mariposa to all incoming traffic. There is no estimated date or time for opening Highway 140 at this time.

Two fire information hotlines are staffed and operational 24 hours: 209-372-0327 and 209-372-0329. For updated information on the fire, please also visit: http://inciweb.org/incident/2520/
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park Remains Open
August 26, 2011 05:05PM
I wonder if there has been a rash of lodging and campsites cancellations as a result of this fire?

And I'm surprised that they closed on El Portal Entrance to the park. While Hwy 140 needs to be closed between Midpines and El Portal, I would think the Park Service would keep their El Portal entrance open for park visitors who are staying at the Yosemite View Lodge and the Cedar Lodge at El Portal. Or has those two motels been evacuated and shutdown due to the Motor fire?
avatar Re: Yosemite National Park Remains Open
August 26, 2011 05:14PM
plawrence
I wonder if there has been a rash of lodging and campsites cancellations as a result of this fire?

And I'm surprised that they closed on El Portal Entrance to the park. While Hwy 140 needs to be closed between Midpines and El Portal, I would think the Park Service would keep their El Portal entrance open for park visitors who are staying at the Yosemite View Lodge and the Cedar Lodge at El Portal. Or has those two motels been evacuated and shutdown due to the Motor fire?
The entrance is still open. Visitors can get to their hotels. They have to check in with someone at the bridge in El Portal before they go further.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login