Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Alcove Drop

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Alcove Drop
September 01, 2011 04:42PM
I am making a list of stuff to do on my trip this month and the Alcove Drop sounds awesome. Do any of you know of someone who has done it? I would like to converse as to the particulars to make sure I am going about it right.

Also, I am doing Tenaya Canyon this trip and I know some of you were interested last time but I didn't give enough of a heads up. I will be out there the 25th of Sept to 9 Oct and plan on doing it sometime during that period. Give me a shout if you want to go and we will try and make it happen! (So long as the date does not interfere with my planned big wall stuff)
September 14, 2011 03:35PM
If you are talking about the Alcove Swing, I believe it it still up. I was in Yosemite August 15-18th and asked around the valley if the rope was up. The rangers said "no" and the grocery store employee said "yeah i was there a few weeks ago. Just make sure you know what your doing with a harness and rope". His buddy had burned both hands to the bone. It looks like a great time and the guy at the store told me the approach is off the El Capitan shuttle stop. Have fun!
September 14, 2011 04:46PM
The drop is at the same place. You jumar up the fixed rope and hook up your own rope, carefully measured to stop you 30 feet above the rock. Then you let go and free fall about 250 feet. I want to find someone who has done it just to see how they did it. I have my idea but this is not something I want to mess up!
September 14, 2011 09:03PM
Might want to check this out: http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1597869/Close-call-on-the-alcove-swing

Meant to post this when this first came up. And fer dog sakes, know what you are doing. Get thee to Camp 4.
September 14, 2011 09:07PM
This is about the third thread here about this swing. I commented on the last one that no way in hell I would swing on a rope that has been hanging in the elements for months or years. That guy could have died. It's not worth it.
September 15, 2011 04:16AM
For the drop you use your own rope.

Before I do the swing I inspect the fixed rope, if it shows signs of wear I don't swing.
September 15, 2011 03:12PM
Wickett
For the drop you use your own rope.

Before I do the swing I inspect the fixed rope, if it shows signs of wear I don't swing.
How can you inspect a rope that is tied off a hundred or so feet above your head?
September 17, 2011 07:07AM
The first time I did it I went up and inspected the anchors. Bomber. The rope going down from the anchors does not see too much use, just weathering. I pay close attention to the part that everyone uses. Some people do not know what they are doing and will go fast as hell and burn the rope. Repeat several time and you have a disaster in the making.

Two years ago I noticed the rope was really crappy and I donated my static rope to keep things safe. I know of several others who have done the same.

But like anything, there is risk involved...
September 20, 2011 06:08PM
Wickett
The rope going down from the anchors does not see too much use, just weathering.
For typical nylon climbing rope this "just weathering" means that it's already crap and can't be safely used anymore because of damage by sunlight.

Wickett
Two years ago I noticed the rope was really crappy and I donated my static rope to keep things safe.
It should have been changed after the first signs of "just weathering" were discovered.

nomenclature
Might want to check this out: http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum/1597869/Close-call-on-the-alcove-swing
Such catastrophic loss of strength of this rope was caused exactly by this "just weathering".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2011 06:11PM by Yury.
September 20, 2011 06:36PM
Don't forget any unsafe ropes can be dropped off at any entrance station and I'll pick them up to be repurposed into lawn furniture or other things around the ranch.
September 21, 2011 03:00PM
The weathering has to be taken into consideration but that part of the rope mainly sees just weathering, I was explaining my thought process before I take a swing...

The rope in the link was dragged around and burned by fast raps, not just weathering.
September 15, 2011 03:22PM
Wickett knows what he is doing. His was the first post on the subject many months ago:

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,31463

(p.s. Wickett, I'd love to do the whole run of the Canyon wit ewe. Just not sure logistics and whutnut)

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 15, 2011 04:14PM
I am sure he knows what he is doing, that is why I am curious how you go about inspecting a rope that is hanging way above you.
September 15, 2011 05:29PM
hotrod4x5

I am sure he knows what he is doing, that is why I am curious how you go about inspecting a rope that is hanging way above you.

If one can't visually inspect the rope from the base of the alcove, one could always climb up to it. It's anchored on a well established rock climbing route up the Pacific Ocean face of El Capitan.
September 17, 2011 10:32AM
Damn, I'd love to do the Canyon. But, school and prior commitments. Grumble mumble.
September 20, 2011 10:37PM
doing the canyon from tenaya lake or olmsted point?
September 21, 2011 02:52PM
Tenaya Lake.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login