Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Vogelsang n Emeric Lake

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Vogelsang n Emeric Lake
September 05, 2011 06:39PM
While it's definitely not a sightseeing outing, I did snap a few shots while on the mutual aid SAR.

Emeric:

Our ride home coming to get us:

Vogelsang was pretty dry - the grass in the meadows has turned golden brown. The outlet of Boothe down to Emeric was our search area; we were walking by stranded fish in the drying out streambed. sad smiley

The one good shot I managed from the helicopter window. Plexi makes things look hazy.

Not sure what peak that is, but we were flying between Vogelsang and the helipad just up the road from Tuolumne Meadows Lodge/Ranger station. That was looking roughly southwest (more west than south) shortly after departing the HSC.

And a shot of Lembert Dome as we went by. Doesn't look much like a dome.

I liked the view from the creekbed I ended up in as we walked in gridlines down to Emeric:
September 06, 2011 09:12AM
Thanks for posting, AT. So, you got a helicopter ride both in and out ?
September 06, 2011 10:00AM
We generally do unless the helo is called away for something else. It was, briefly, in the middle of the day, but the SEKI chopper was also up and flying in Yose that day, to help with spotting from the air.

There were also operations involving someone's heart stopping on the Mist Trail (she recovered apparently) and another SAR in another part of the park, but not being comms person I did not hear all about that - not that I could dish the details if I did. YoSAR is probably busy on a daily basis.

Also, a good number of YoSAR are volunteers - they work in other areas like wilderness reclamation in the park, and volunteer for SAR on their days off. The technical folks (rock and water, or medical) are generally paid staff. I rode in with one of the campfire ring destruction crew.
avatar Re: Vogelsang n Emeric Lake
September 06, 2011 02:00PM
Wow! That's the first time I've heard there is actually such a thing as a campfire ring destruction crew. I think most of us were under the impression they merely plotted them on GPS and requested new ones not be built.
September 06, 2011 02:15PM
tomdisco
Wow! That's the first time I've heard there is actually such a thing as a campfire ring destruction crew. I think most of us were under the impression they merely plotted them on GPS and requested new ones not be built.

I just dismantled one on Saturday that some idiots built less then 50 meters N from the overlook spur trail intersection at the top of Yosemite Falls.
(For those of you that may be unaware, this is ground zero of the no camping zone that exists at the top of the falls.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 09:37PM by szalkowski.
September 06, 2011 03:12PM
Yeah, go figure eh?

I keep telling the rangers that maybe they should just tell people to not have a campfire...
rather than saying "It's OK to have a campfire, no problem at all"..

It's Vogelsang Peak

And... I wouldn't worry about the fish... they're pretty resilient... and they'll get some fresh water soon...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login