All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fall Camping at Wawona
September 06, 2011 08:53AM
I'm headed up to Yosemite at the end of October without camping reservations. The valley campsites are full (I'll keep checking but I'm okay staying out of the valley too). Does anyone know how quickly Wawona or Hogdon Meadows walk-in campgrounds fill up this time of year?
Re: Fall Camping at Wawona
September 06, 2011 12:16PM
I'm seeing lots of open sites (mid-week) in the Valley for the end of Oct.; not that many ,but some, on the weekend. What dates are you looking for?
September 06, 2011 01:02PM
Unfortunately October 21-23. Friday-Sunday. Already taken too many weekdays off this year to play in Yosemite.
September 06, 2011 03:00PM
Now I see your problem..I was looking at the last weekend. Too bad you can't go then. There are some sites open and its the best time to be there for fall colors (in the valley). Wawona should be pretty too, but very cold at night. Don't know about chance of getting in on a Friday. Keep looking for Valley cancellations as you get closer to the dates.
September 06, 2011 06:11PM
When you go to the reservation site, input your stay as a range of dates, then your length of stay as one night. That way ALL sites will show up, even if they are free for only one night. If you don't mind moving, you can piece together a stay in the valley this way.
September 06, 2011 01:26PM
The only walk-in campground is Camp 4. Are you comfortable sharing a site? Hodgdon Meadow and Wawona just have regular drive-up campsites. They will both become first-come first-served for your planned weekend. I don't know if they'll fill up (which I realize is your real question.)
September 06, 2011 03:12PM
Sandpiper11
Does anyone know how quickly Wawona or Hogdon Meadows walk-in campgrounds fill up this time of year?

I spent a few minutes trying to parse this information and realized my problem (aside from lack of sleep) is that there are no walk in campgrounds in either. They are first come first serve, however, due to lateness in the season. Wawona typically has the "full" sign out regardless of whether it is or not. Hogdon is bigger so you probably have a better chance at getting a site there. Also it's a lot less like a small parking lot.

I don't think people typically have too much trouble getting a site in winter. The valley campsites turn into first come/first serve as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login