All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Does anyone know if this has a name?
September 06, 2011 10:08AM
Spent the last few days at Tuolumne Meadows, and after stopping once at Olmsted, and not wanting to deal with either the crowds or the same, old shot, turned directly around and just stated climbing up that big granite hill behind it.

Didn't go all the way to the top, but there are some great views of Tenaya Lake (someone even put some ducks up on the sub-shelf below the summit) and there are AWESOME trees.

They look like the one below (well, that IS one of the ones, actually). The GPS coordinates are: N 37.81456 W 119.48396

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 10:14AM by tanngrisnir3.
avatar Re: Does anyone know if this has a name?
September 06, 2011 12:33PM
tanngrisnir3
Spent the last few days at Tuolumne Meadows, and after stopping once at Olmsted, and not wanting to deal with either the crowds or the same, old shot, turned directly around and just stated climbing up that big granite hill behind it.

Didn't go all the way to the top, but there are some great views of Tenaya Lake (someone even put some ducks up on the sub-shelf below the summit) and there are AWESOME trees.

There are also great and outstanding examples of glacier polish all over that hill.
Re: Does anyone know if this has a name?
September 06, 2011 12:39PM
plawrence
tanngrisnir3

There are also great and outstanding examples of glacier polish all over that hill.

Soooo...... let's call it Glacier Polish Hill, until something better comes along.
September 06, 2011 12:43PM
tanngrisnir3
\
Soooo...... let's call it Glacier Polish Hill, until something better comes along.

I was thinking something less original for now: Olmsted Rock or Olmsted Dome. wink

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 03:19PM by plawrence.
September 06, 2011 12:45PM
plawrence
tanngrisnir3
\

I was thinking something less original for now: Olmstead Rock or Olmstead Dome. wink

I'm going to call it "Mr. Crumbles & The Giant Ice Weasel"
September 06, 2011 02:05PM
plawrence
tanngrisnir3
\

I was thinking something less original for now: Olmstead Rock or Olmstead Dome. wink

... or, perhaps, Olmsted Rock or Olmsted Dome?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Law_Olmsted,_Jr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 04:32PM by szalkowski.
September 06, 2011 03:19PM
szalkowski
plawrence
tanngrisnir3
\

... or, perhaps, Olmsted Rock or Olmsted Dome?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Law_Olmsted

Heh!

I wasn't sure of the spelling. (I have friends who spell their last name both Olmsted and Olmstead), so I quickly checked on the Topo map I had opened on my computer (http://www.closedcontour.com/) and Dan (Sayornis) had the point spelled as Olmstead Point so I went with that. I guess he needs to fix that typo on his map.

(And I need to on my previous post.) Embaressed
September 06, 2011 02:46PM
This question came up many months ago on another site but I can't remember if someone did find out the name. I will look around and see if I have a map that has it marked what that area is called.

Those are great trees and thanks for posting the GPS location. We will go there the next time we are up on Tioga.
September 06, 2011 03:03PM
Is that the one where the guy got stuck and had to be rescued?
September 06, 2011 03:11PM
There's a couple of photos taken from the dome(s) South of Olmsted Pt. here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,45714,45729#msg-45729

Chick-on is looking at you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login