Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Trip Report: Taboose Playground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Trip Report: Taboose Playground
September 08, 2011 06:40PM
(sorry might take a sec to load - embedded more pics than I thought I would and they're kinda big...)

Spent the second week of August playing around over Taboose Pass. We didn't get started until later in the morning on the first day (had to pick up permits) and made it to the campsite at about 10,400ft (the last one I knew of before the pass). It was my first time up Taboose and lets just say it's way over-hyped. I found it kind of enjoyable. The next day we went over to Bench where the fishing was terrific and the mosquitoes were deadly. Climbed Arrow Peak, and then the next day followed the Old JMT up to Cartridge Pass.

Our original plan was to go into Lake Basin but the snow on the north side of Cartridge forced a turn around (we decided against carrying crampons). It was marginal - we probably would have been okay but it was late in the day, the snow was shadowed and freezing up for the night, so we erred on the side of caution. We backtracked and camped that night at the big lake below the pass, deciding to head into Upper Basin the next day and climb Split. That we did - and it was nice to knock another 14er off the list.

Climbed split on an absolutely perfect day and had an excellent time fishing as well - one of those perfect Sierra days. Hiked out all the way from Lake 3535 to Taboose TH the next day (that was a slog....). Here are some pretty pictures and the full trip report is on my site.

Taboose TH to Bench
Arrow Peak
Old JMT to Cartridge Pass
Split Mtn

Arrow Pass

Climbing Arrow Peak

View from Arrow - one of my favorites. Check out that blue Bench Lake!

Arrow Summit reg

Rockslides along old JMT

Old trail to cartridge pass

Lake Basin. And Snow on the north side of cartridge. booo.

Lake 3535

The Polemonium on Split was awesome!

This definitely doesn't suck (Split summit)

Palisade crest

Stock train on taboose

Snow melt on taboose
September 08, 2011 07:41PM
Ah! those flowers are making me giddy! (and the views and the peaks etc etc) Interesting about the register.
Thanks for posting this. Off to snoop on your site.
September 08, 2011 08:16PM
Great photos. What a tasty looking fish!
avatar Re: Trip Report: Taboose Playground
September 08, 2011 09:21PM
Chick-on likey!

Tanks for sharon

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 09, 2011 12:58PM
Thanks for sharing. I can't backpack anymore so I have to live through the pictures of others.
September 09, 2011 01:15PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures. Looks like a fun trip. What kind of camera did you take the shots with? I'm looking for a good point and shoot <$300 with hd video
September 09, 2011 08:55PM
Thanks. I use a panasonic lumix lx3. It was around $500 when I got it but that was 2 years ago. It has to be cheaper now, but I'm sure the current equivalent is around the same price.
September 10, 2011 12:18AM
calipidder

Thanks. I use a panasonic lumix lx3. It was around $500 when I got it but that was 2 years ago. It has to be cheaper now, but I'm sure the current equivalent is around the same price.

The successor of the Panasonic Lumix LX3 is the Lumix LX5. While it retails for $500, Amazon sells it now for just $400.
September 10, 2011 08:36AM
It's a great camera - the main reason I got it was the sensor quality (that thing has incredible dynamic range), having full manual controls, and the ability to get a wide-angle shot in a point and shoot. It's not as great as my big ol' dSLR but as a backpacking camera it's exactly what I need, especially in that big open Sierra terrain where the wide angle is really appreciated. It's got some good glass in it too, so it's a bit heftier than a lot of the smaller point and shoots but it's worth it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login