Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Vernal Fall in mid September

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Vernal Fall in mid September
September 13, 2011 06:56PM
Saw some recent photos of Upper Yosemite Fall. How much water is flowing over Vernal Fall? Anyone have some recent photos?
Re: Vernal Fall in mid September
September 15, 2011 10:12PM
Jon Mure
Saw some recent photos of Upper Yosemite Fall. How much water is flowing over Vernal Fall? Anyone have some recent photos?

Generally, the waterfalls on the south side last longer than those on the north. Judging from what I saw of Illilouette, I'd say Vernal/Nevada are going just fine. Much better than usual for this time of year. Is most of the water from underground now? There can't be that much snow run-off leftover, could there?

OTOH, it was definitely just Ribbon Stain. Lehamite Creek was flowing stronger than Indian Canyon Creek, but neither resulted in any kind of fall/cascade.
September 16, 2011 03:07PM
http://ca.water.usgs.gov/webcams/happyisles/

you can check the gage height at the link up there. Its not the waterfall but you can look back at the historicals and check out what it was over may/june/july and compare it to what it is now. Make sure you watch out for the scaling on the graph
September 16, 2011 09:07PM
You can search for photos on Picasa pretty easily. I just tried it with "Vernal Falls" (used the 's' because that's more common) and then sorted by date. They're sorted by date posted rather than date taken, but most of the new ones were taken quite recently. Looks like lots more water than you'd usually see in September.
avatar Re: Vernal Fall in mid September
September 17, 2011 09:23AM
Thanks for the tip, NacciNW! I've never used Picasa, but entered Vernal Falls and then sorted by date as you suggested, and found some good September 2011 pictures. What a great website.
avatar Re: Vernal Fall in mid September
September 17, 2011 09:32AM
Thanks. I made my first trip to Yoesimte in early July, and the water was raging. I was just trying to get a "visual" of how things have changed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login