Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Weather in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Weather in Yosemite
September 21, 2011 09:42AM
I'm not sure if this is a question, a poll, a hope for good luck, or a jinx:

But what will the weather be like in Yosemite September 30 - October 3?
September 21, 2011 12:22PM
Sunny with a 30% chance of snow. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 21, 2011 01:01PM
Seriously, there is going to be a gradual cooling trend over the next 10 days but so far, there is no rain/snow in the forecast. I would look for warm days in the 70's with cool nights in the low 50s. However, this forecast is for Yosemite Valley and it will be colder at the higher elevations.

Have a great time. It might be too early for the fall colors.
September 21, 2011 01:35PM
Its tending to be more chilly now. I would definitely leave the 30 degree bag at home and bring the 0 degree bag. There have been some significant storms in the last 2 weeks.
September 21, 2011 03:03PM
I just packed my 30 degree and not my zero. Lower 50's at night right?
September 21, 2011 10:48PM
Wickett
I just packed my 30 degree and not my zero. Lower 50's at night right?

That is the projection for the Valley, but if you go higher it will be colder. Personally, I don't like to be hot when I sleep so a zero bag would be too warm for me if it is in the low 50's. I have been known to wear shorts and a t-shirt when it is in the 50's. On the other hand, my sister would have used a zero bag and slept with a jacket and a fuzzy on. Personal preference is the rule.

Keep in mind that the info I posted was from a 10 day forecast and things change quickly in the mountains especially this time of the year. What I usually do is put out things for different temperatures in advance and then I check the forecast a few days before I leave and then do my final packing. Of course, if you are car camping and not backpacking then you can take things for both warm and cold.

I always like the saying that if you are in the mountains and don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change.
September 22, 2011 09:53AM
I love that I could throw such an open-ended question out there and get these great responses. Thanks guys.

I'm trying to figure out how to pack and hoping for good weather. This trip is going to be awesome and it looks like I'm hiking with a couple great Forum members.
September 23, 2011 04:08AM
See you in the Valley! I am leaving today.
September 23, 2011 08:12AM
I was camping at Porcupine Flat on the Tioga Road last weekend. There was frost on the picnic table on Saturday morning and still some frost on the ground on a hike to Spillway Lake in the late morning. It did get warmer after Saturday but this time of year anything could happen.
September 23, 2011 02:32PM
I've had ice in my water bottles in the middle of summer at Porcupine Flat.
September 24, 2011 08:10AM
eeek

Cubes or Crushed?

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 24, 2011 09:57AM
I've had ice form overnight in mid-August at 4 Jeffrey...cant remember exactly when, it must have been sometime in the '90s. Never seen it that cold in mid-August since.
September 24, 2011 02:49PM
chick-on
eeek

Cubes or Crushed?

Plane.
September 24, 2011 10:23AM
eeek

Foul weather is infinitely preferable to fowl weather (oven-like temperatures).
(Unpredictably Yours)
The Marmots
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login