Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: National Geographic, FAIL !

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

National Geographic, FAIL !
September 21, 2011 06:54PM
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/national-parks/top-10-landmarks?source=link_fbt20110921nplandmarks#/landmark-national-park-half-dome-yosemite_34818_600x450.jpg

"...there’s something special about Half Dome. It has undeniable stage presence. View it from the valley floor, beside the winding Tuolomne River. "

Ummm, really?
avatar Re: National Geographic, FAIL !
September 21, 2011 06:56PM
It has 'truthiness'.

Half Dome does have undeniable stage presence.

The Tuolumne River is winding.

What more do you want?
September 21, 2011 06:57PM
They didn't even spell Tuolumne correctly!
September 21, 2011 06:59PM
I actually looked for a 'reply' link to inform them they were making an ass of themselves before posting the 'truthiness' crack here. Didn't find it.
September 21, 2011 07:06PM
Ya, me too, figured I could comment, but saw no way to.
September 21, 2011 07:12PM
Not completely out of whack with their hiking maps---which I also find have many small errors throughout.

AND you can't read the topo lines because of all those dang colors and shading....

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 21, 2011 07:23PM
balzaccom
Not completely out of whack with their hiking maps---which I also find have many small errors throughout.

AND you can't read the topo lines because of all those dang colors and shading....

The Wilderness Press maps have far superior topo line demarcation compared to either Nat. Geo. or Tom Harrison maps.
September 21, 2011 07:25PM
In the Sierra I use their maps as a larger-scale route planning tool (for example, I have the TI Yosemite map, but none of the four smaller-scale maps), and find them pretty good for that purpose. I have a large collection of Sierra USGS topo maps I bought, mostly back when they were $2.50/each, that I use hiking. And there are trail location errors on the USGS maps as well.

I only use the TI maps for hiking in places like Yellowstone where permits are for designated campsites which are much better shown on the TI maps.

Edit: Actually, I also used the TI map hiking in Isle Royale NP...permit specifies nothing, use of designated campsites are required (mostly) but TOPO! indicates all are shown adequately on the USGS maps, but it was a choice of one TI map or way too many USGS maps that mostly showed Lake Superior due to the lat/lon square layout of the maps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 07:31PM by ttilley.
September 21, 2011 08:11PM
"View it from the valley floor, beside the winding Tuolomne River. "
Maybe they meant to say the winding Merced River?
September 21, 2011 08:19PM
KatyAnderson
Yes, that is, of course, what they meant. Hence the FAIL
September 25, 2011 07:14PM
hotrod4x5
KatyAnderson

maybe they ment the river that is directly below the face of it but they still messed up, i think its tenya creek at that point
September 25, 2011 08:38PM
ryanmj
hotrod4x5
KatyAnderson

maybe they ment the river that is directly below the face of it but they still messed up, i think its tenya creek at that point
The Tuolumne River is no where near Half Dome or the valley. Poor research.
September 25, 2011 08:57PM
hotrod4x5
ryanmj

The Tuolumne River is no where near Half Dome or the valley. Poor research.

Agreed. It obvious the person who wrote the copy simply isn't too familiar with Yosemite Valley. I think it should be basic knowledge for anyone who purports to know anything about Yosemite Valley that it's the Merced River that runs through it.

September 21, 2011 08:23PM
Or possibly the winding Mercid river...

Yes, probably so, but if one actually knows about Yosemite's geography one wouldn't make that mistake, especially if one is posting about how awesome the Half Dome landmark is...a reasonable expectation is that one would know something about that awesome landmark's location.

And, even if one has made the mistake of employing poorly-paid people to write stuff in one's own name, one might at least provide a 'reply' mechanism. The Weather Channel repeatedly posts inane 'top ten' lists, but at least one can vent.
September 21, 2011 11:23PM
hotrod4x5

"...there’s something special about Half Dome. It has undeniable stage presence. View it from the valley floor, beside the winding Tuolomne River. "

Wow, how did I miss an earthquake big enough to change the course of two rivers?
September 24, 2011 02:13PM
That's right up there with (I think it was) Life magazine posting a photo of Vernal Fall BACKWARDS sad smiley

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/MED/38/3816/5IBYF00Z/art-print/adam-jones-vernal-falls-of-the-merced-river-yosemite-national-park-california-usa.jpg

(I'm sorry I can't find a larger copy.)
September 25, 2011 07:17PM
SierraGold
That's right up there with (I think it was) Life magazine posting a photo of Vernal Fall BACKWARDS sad smiley

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/MED/38/3816/5IBYF00Z/art-print/adam-jones-vernal-falls-of-the-merced-river-yosemite-national-park-california-usa.jpg

that drives me nuts, I have google set as my homepage and it has a picture of HD and Cloudsrest in the backround and its also reversed. It bothers me
September 30, 2011 04:39AM
ryanmj
SierraGold

that drives me nuts, I have google set as my homepage and it has a picture of HD and Cloudsrest in the backround and its also reversed. It bothers me

Yeah, like what man has the power to change something like that?! Talk about an EXTREME makeover!! *LOL*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login