Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: What is this dome?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

What is this dome?
September 25, 2011 09:04PM
I've removed the photos, as well as the link to them. Devil's Dance Floor it is.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 12:16PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
September 25, 2011 09:44PM
September 25, 2011 09:56PM
ttilley
Is that Devil's Dance Floor?

Thanks for your map. I think the lookout place on Tioga is somewhere between BM6821 and BM 6839. So perhaps it's that unnamed dome 7778?
September 25, 2011 10:05PM
Picture one shows a view down the creek drainage, which would be a dead-on view of the Dance Floor, 7778 is across the drainage. Plus, this is where wherever's question about sun angle comes in...the shadows are going across your line of sight and the picture was taken at 10:30, so the shadows were pointing northwest and you were looking southwest (approximately).

Plus, I've been up to the Dance Floor, its a relatively easy x-country hike from the Tamarack Creek camp, and there's a lot of granite up there.
September 25, 2011 10:14PM
ttilley
Picture one shows a view down the creek drainage, which would be a dead-on view of the Dance Floor, 7778 is across the drainage. Plus, this is where wherever's question about sun angle comes in...the shadows are going across your line of sight and the picture was taken at 10:30, so the shadows were pointing northwest and you were looking southwest (approximately).

Plus, I've been up to the Dance Floor, its a relatively easy x-country hike from the Tamarack Creek camp, and there's a lot of granite up there.

Very cool information, thanks. It's always fun to learn new stuff, and everyone here has great knowledge.
September 25, 2011 10:07PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Thanks for your map. I think the lookout place on Tioga is somewhere between BM6821 and BM 6839. So perhaps it's that unnamed dome 7778?

Nah. I've been on 7778, and that's not it. Besides, 7778 is a lot higher than this section of the road.

Hey, you guys are fast. I type a reply, and there are three other answers in before I can post it....
September 25, 2011 09:45PM
September 25, 2011 09:48PM
Ohnivy-Drak
https://picasaweb.google.com/103970263062889562312/NameOfThisDome?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7po4btsfuZVg

seen from tioga pass, 2.1 miles east of the Tamarack turnoff. None of my maps provide an answer. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thx.
Give us a little help here. Since the tree shadow is almost parallel to the road, you need to tell us whether the sun is rising or setting. If rising, you are looking at the back side of the Devils Dance Floor. If setting, you are looking down Tuolumne South Fork towards Bald Mountain, but there are several knobs and ridges in the direction...
September 25, 2011 09:51PM
The full details page for photo 1 gives the following time and date of the picture: "2011:09:09 10:30:27". Assuming its synced and configured correctly...rising.
September 25, 2011 10:03PM
wherever
Ohnivy-Drak
https://picasaweb.google.com/103970263062889562312/NameOfThisDome?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7po4btsfuZVg

seen from tioga pass, 2.1 miles east of the Tamarack turnoff. None of my maps provide an answer. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thx.
Give us a little help here. Since the tree shadow is almost parallel to the road, you need to tell us whether the sun is rising or setting. If rising, you are looking at the back side of the Devils Dance Floor. If setting, you are looking down Tuolumne South Fork towards Bald Mountain, but there are several knobs and ridges in the direction...

In the morning, looking in the direction towards the Valley. Didn't think to punch this place into the GPS. Devil's Dance Floor looks to be a strong possibility though. We might have a winner...?
September 26, 2011 08:30AM
Go up to the Crane Flat Lookout Tower and you'll see why they call it Devil's Dance Floor.

Heading north on BOF Road, a bit past the Crane Flat Camp Grounds turn right - if the gate is open. At the top you'll see where to park, take the trail, it's very short. DO NOT DRIVE OR WALK UP TO, OR ON, THE HELIPAD. Take the trail, there's a sign, to the tower which is about 10 feet above the ground and recently restored. Great views. The tower is not in active use but is maintained as a historical building.
September 30, 2011 04:35AM
Dave
Go up to the Crane Flat Lookout Tower and you'll see why they call it Devil's Dance Floor.

Heading north on BOF Road, a bit past the Crane Flat Camp Grounds turn right - if the gate is open. At the top you'll see where to park, take the trail, it's very short. DO NOT DRIVE OR WALK UP TO, OR ON, THE HELIPAD. Take the trail, there's a sign, to the tower which is about 10 feet above the ground and recently restored. Great views. The tower is not in active use but is maintained as a historical building.

That's where the new cam is located.
September 30, 2011 04:53AM
SierraGold
Dave

That's where the new cam is located.

The webcam there is a temporary installation that was originally installed to monitor the Avalanche Fire:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,44174,44270#msg-44270
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login