Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Webcam Idea

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Webcam Idea
September 26, 2011 04:51PM
One should be added with a view of Yosemite Falls. If it's not going, they can just shut it off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 04:56PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
September 26, 2011 08:27PM
Ohnivy-Drak
One should be added with a view of Yosemite Falls. If it's not going, they can just shut it off.

Just send money and they'll probably do it for you.
September 26, 2011 10:52PM
eeek

Stole the words right out of my mouth.
On a related note...while going slightly "off trail" on the Sentinel Dome hike, I noticed a fairly prominent, barricaded, radio-tower-like contraption. I only glanced at it briefly, but I thought that might be the location of the sentinel dome webcam (I'm probably wrong).

The point is, if such is true, then it must cost a good amount of money to set up another webcam. Hence, why we don't have a webcam of Yosemite Falls.
September 26, 2011 11:43PM
herosemblem
eeek

Stole the words right out of my mouth.
On a related note...while going slightly "off trail" on the Sentinel Dome hike, I noticed a fairly prominent, barricaded, radio-tower-like contraption. I only glanced at it briefly, but I thought that might be the location of the sentinel dome webcam (I'm probably wrong).

The point is, if such is true, then it must cost a good amount of money to set up another webcam. Hence, why we don't have a webcam of Yosemite Falls.

It's actually bolted to the roof of a small building on the north side area of the dome.

Old Dude
September 27, 2011 12:12AM
eeek
Ohnivy-Drak

How much would it be? Within reason, no problem. Put it in my name, and I control it.
September 27, 2011 09:08PM
I'd say your chances aren't very good.
a) current webcam doesn't even show Nevada / Vernal (go figure) (why not show clark range? beats me)
b) doubt you'd see upper and lower from same location (pretty sure you wouldn't) (only some of upper)

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 27, 2011 10:20PM
chick-on
I'd say your chances aren't very good.
a) current webcam doesn't even show Nevada / Vernal (go figure) (why not show clark range? beats me)
b) doubt you'd see upper and lower from same location (pretty sure you wouldn't) (only some of upper)

Yea, I just think it's too bad one of the waterfalls wasn't included in the original plan. Perhaps a webcam at (near) the Lodge for Y-Falls. Or maybe a second one @ Sentinel that points towards the north. Imagine a moving one from Sierra Point, lol.

Of course finances is a problem, and I'm appreciative of the ones they have up already.
September 28, 2011 07:12AM
I still miss the Tioga Pass Cam.
September 28, 2011 05:09PM
Ray

I do too. I thought that since the Conservancy took it over from, I believe San Diego state, they were going to fix it.
September 29, 2011 12:55PM
parklover
Ray

I do too. I thought that since the Conservancy took it over from, I believe San Diego state, they were going to fix it.

Instead, it appears they took it out (hopefully only a temporary move) and put one in at the Crane Flat fire lookout, looking towards the Devil's Dance Floor.

http://ssgic.cr.usgs.gov/cgi-bin/camHist11.pl?camera=1_mobile_ynp_1&lastFrame=true

http://www.nps.gov/yose/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login