Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Short Hiking/Fishing Trip to Thousand Island Lake w/Pics

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Short Hiking/Fishing Trip to Thousand Island Lake w/Pics
September 30, 2011 08:29AM
Last week I spent a couple of days hiking in and out around Thousand Island Lake - I know many of you would avoid this due to the high traffic but it really wasn't that bad in mid/late September and the weather was beautiful except for a mid afternoon shower - I took the "High Trail" (PCT) up to the lake - since I am not in the best of shape and need to take my time, I wanted to get the elevation out of the way as quickly as possible - There are three trails to the lake and usually this trail is not the first choice since some the other trails go by lakes or the river - but it actually was very pretty - several spots I hiked through were like small high alpine meadows and after about 3 miles, the trail levels off which made hiking it a little easier for me (Per Wilderness Office in Mammoth, the elevation is not too bad from Agnew Meadows, only 1400 feet)

Here is a shot of Shadow Lake taken a couple of hours in to the hike

I was expecting a larger elevation on the trail a mile before the lake but it really wasn't that bad at all - Took me six hours to get there (with backpack) and the fish were rising in the lake when I arrived around 1PM

I tried to fish the lake later in the afternoon but the wind wouldn't allow me to get my line out far enough ( I still need to learn how to double haul) I could see the fish were deep anyway so I went to the outlet which was close by and found a hole that I hit on with every cast - I caught more fish than I could count (catch and release)

Here is a hybrid golden I caught, also caught a rainbow and many, many brook - Missed the slam that day by one brown

Since I was the first to arrive at the lake that day, I set up camp at the first allowable camping spot about 1/2 along the lake and 30 yards out - There was noone else in sight even though I knew others were further down the lake - I had a few visits from bears that night but they didn't even touch my bear canister - Here is a picture of the lake the next morning

My primary mission was to just get to the lake and fish it so that accomplished, I took the John Muir Trail out on the way back to Agnew Meadows passing by Emerald, Ruby, Garnet and Shadow Lake - This trail had many people and one very large group but was still private enough for me to thoroughly enjoy the hike - everyone was very nice on the trail

Garnet Lake - I really like the lines in the mountains coming down to the lake

Shadow Lake on the way out (Out of shape with a pack it took me 8 hours to get back using this trail)

This was not that long of a hike really for backpacking but the sceneray was stunning - and I imaging the traffic is much better in September - I'm glad I went - If I do this agin, I think I will start at Tuolomne - over Donahue Pass - down to the lake.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 09:22AM by SoCalCPA.
avatar Re: Short Hiking/Fishing Trip to Thousand Island Lake w/Pics
September 30, 2011 10:43AM
Thanks for sharing the photos. Were all the fish you caught, caught & released, or did you save one or two for dinner? smiling smiley
September 30, 2011 11:08AM
Every fish I caught was released - That is pretty much how I fish - Occassionally, I may keep one or two to cook up but I didn't have the seasonings (butter/lemon/garlic) to make it worth the meal - Besides fish in the higher level lakes are usually too small and are there for the fight and admiration (at least for me)
September 30, 2011 01:53PM
Nice report--and you've given me hope fr this area! I have been worried that it is just so crowded that it isn't for me anymore!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
September 30, 2011 03:12PM
SoCalCPA
Every fish I caught was released - That is pretty much how I fish - Occassionally, I may keep one or two to cook up but I didn't have the seasonings (butter/lemon/garlic) to make it worth the meal - Besides fish in the higher level lakes are usually too small and are there for the fight and admiration (at least for me)

Did you use barbless hooks? Were you using bait or lures?
September 30, 2011 03:26PM
rroland
SoCalCPA

Did you use barbless hooks? Were you using bait or lures?

I used a 9 ft 5 wt 6X Tippet - Sierra Bright Dot Size 18

I should have clamped down the barb before setting off but I didn't - My bad!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login