Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Need suggestions for hiking next week in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Need suggestions for hiking next week in Yosemite
October 06, 2011 04:34PM
I'm going to Yosemite Oct 17-23. I had big hikes planned (Cloud's Rest, Pohono Trail, others) but am worried about recent snowfall limiting those hikes now. I doubt it will melt by next week. Does anyone have recommendations for others hikes? I have snowshoes and will bring them so maybe Pohono is still doable? I've never done it. We were going to start at Tunnel View and go that way to Glacier Point, then down 4 Mile Trail to the valley. What about up in Touloumne? Any suggestions? Thanks, Kathy
avatar Re: Need suggestions for hiking next week in Yosemite
October 06, 2011 04:58PM
It's really too early to start agonizing about something still over 10 days away.

Predictions are for mid-60s up at 8-9k by the middle of next week:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.873227357246435&lon=-119.36267852783203&site=hnx&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Snow depth up at Tuolumne Meadows (and Dana Meadows, also) is about 1 ft.:
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=11727&end=&geom=small&interval=30&cookies=cdec01

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 05:04PM by szalkowski.
October 06, 2011 05:35PM
Listen to the Marmuts on dis one.

All that snow... it'll almost assuredly be frosty the snowman bye bye in 10 days.

Let say that it would stick... with a foot of new snow on bare ground... snowshoes would be a hinderance...
And if you HAD to snowshoe all the way on the Pohono ... you wouldn't make it in a day... believe me...
So I highly recommend you leave the snowshoes at home.

Lots of nice weather coming... take a look at the Sentinel webcam in a week...

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 11, 2011 09:39PM
The snow sensors at White Wolf, Tuolumne Meadows, and Dana Meadows all were kissing bare ground today.
The Sentinel Dome webcam history sequence shows the snow cover to be rapidly receding/disappearing.
(North-facing slopes and forested areas will, of course, lag by a few days.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 09:40PM by szalkowski.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login