Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Check out the clearing skies from Sentinel right now!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Check out the clearing skies from Sentinel right now!
October 06, 2011 06:47PM
avatar Re: Check out the clearing skies from Sentinel right now!
October 06, 2011 06:56PM
October 06, 2011 07:02PM
This is beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing. I am new enough to the forum I have to keep fooling with stuff but I found your Picasa link and now this. Can't beat this view.
October 06, 2011 07:47PM
Thanks! I'm losing hope of being able to cross the Sierra south of Carson Pass tomorrow for my east-side trip, and have a hotel offering to refund my non-refundable pre-paid reservation, but can't get past "I'm doing it anyway".
October 07, 2011 12:07AM
ttilley

Thanks! I'm losing hope of being able to cross the Sierra south of Carson Pass tomorrow for my east-side trip, and have a hotel offering to refund my non-refundable pre-paid reservation, but can't get past "I'm doing it anyway".

Just leave your home earlier to account for the extra miles you'll need to travel.

If you're traveling from the Bay Area to Bishop, I've found time-wise that it takes about the same amount of time to travel south and over the Tehachapi Pass (Hwy 58) and then up Hwy 14 and Hwy 395 to Bishop as it takes to take Hwy 88 over Carson Pass and then Hwy 395 down to Bishop. Though more miles, I've found the drive over Tehachapi Pass less taxing than driving over Carson Pass (or even Echo Summit via US-50) in inclement weather or marginal road conditions.
October 07, 2011 06:45AM
plawrence
ttilley

Just leave your home earlier to account for the extra miles you'll need to travel.

If you're traveling from the Bay Area to Bishop, I've found time-wise that it takes about the same amount of time to travel south and over the Tehachapi Pass (Hwy 58) and then up Hwy 14 and Hwy 395 to Bishop as it takes to take Hwy 88 over Carson Pass and then Hwy 395 down to Bishop. Though more miles, I've found the drive over Tehachapi Pass less taxing than driving over Carson Pass (or even Echo Summit via US-50) in inclement weather or marginal road conditions.

Railfans on pilgrimages to the area have been known to visit Yosemite as a side trip:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehachapi_Loop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 07:16AM by szalkowski.
October 07, 2011 01:06PM
szalkowski
Railfans on pilgrimages to the area have been known to visit Yosemite as a side trip:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehachapi_Loop

This loop?

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/rail/sh-pb100021.jpg.html
October 07, 2011 01:21PM
SR89, SR4, SR108, and SR120 were all closed due to snow Thursday. By noon Friday, SR89, SR4, and SR108 have all opened again without controls. There is apparently a rock slide east of Tioga Pass that may keep that road closed a few days.

Am set to leave from work later this afternoon going over Sonora Pass to the eastside.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
October 07, 2011 02:28PM
Thanks for the info. Would appreciate if anyone learns more about 120.
October 07, 2011 10:04PM
There was clear evidence of a rock slide just above the 8000 foot mark on the east side of Tioga, but even though it featured some large rocks the slide itself didn't look like it had been large.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login