Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Meet up?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 08, 2011 12:25PM
I'll be in Yosemite Oct 22nd and 23rd with my girlfriend. We'll be doing some shorter hikes- nothing too long because we're both amateurs. If any of you forum regulars planned on visiting the park during that time, I think it would be cool to meet up with you if your agenda is similar. I'd like to learn from the best Smiling dogpile I also know a lot of people prefer to hike in solitary, so no offense taken if there are no takers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 12:26PM by dqniel.
October 10, 2011 09:26PM
Daniel,
Most of the clowns on this forearm belong in Solitary Confinement.
At least definitely the Marmuts.
Haven't a clue what I be doing that weekend. I was so hoping to go down Cherry Creek Canyon w/o a paddle...
but The Muir Gorge traverse got blown to smithereens by the storms... and it looks maybe that did too...
Hope you have a fabulouso time with your honey.

I hear Curry Pizza is the bomb. Enjoy

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Meet up?
October 14, 2011 07:21PM
chick-on
Daniel,
Haven't a clue what I be doing that weekend. I was so hoping to go down Cherry Creek Canyon w/o a paddle...
but The Muir Gorge traverse got blown to smithereens by the storms... and it looks maybe that did too...

OK, for the LAST #(&#&($# time, the PIZZA AT CURRY IS EXCELLENT.
October 14, 2011 07:54PM
tanngrisnir3
chick-on
Daniel,

We may have to start a web site like the Half Dome guy: SaveCurryPizza.com!

The pizza at the Curry Village Deck is great!
October 16, 2011 08:14AM
chicagocwright
tanngrisnir3
chick-on
Daniel,

We may have to start a web site like the Half Dome guy: SaveCurryPizza.com!

The pizza at the Curry Village Deck is great!

Ha! I was just venting. I just don't understand some of the comments (not Chick-on's) in the past that have compared it to ketchup on cardboard.

Last year, I actually sat out in the parking lot there, in my Jeep, scarfing that pizza and listening to my Ducks beat somebody on Sirius Satellite. It was so good, I didn't even mind that it was a close game, and I'm a Ducks fanatic.
October 11, 2011 01:43PM
Sadly, I will be in Chicago...

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
October 11, 2011 01:48PM
balzaccom

Chicago! Welcome!
October 11, 2011 02:20PM
chicagocwright
balzaccom

Chicago! Welcome!

Several years ago, we came across this explanation of how/why Chicago was founded:

Bunch of folks were sitting around in a tavern in New York.
Someone says "I really like the snow and wind, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west."

(Warmly Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 03:55PM by szalkowski.
October 11, 2011 03:56PM
As if folks didn't already think I was crazy enough: I love the cold and windy winters in Chicago. Most definitely my favorite season.

What I miss from "home" (Fresno) is the mountains. Chicago is just TOO FLAT!
October 11, 2011 04:08PM
Cincinnati has hills but no mountains. It makes me sad when I don't have environmental diversity. Cincinnati has two things- deciduous forest and cornfields.
October 11, 2011 04:53PM
chicagocwright
As if folks didn't already think I was crazy enough: I love the cold and windy winters in Chicago. Most definitely my favorite season.

I spent a February in Chicago. Never got above freezing.
October 11, 2011 05:27PM
Great weather. I built an igloo and tunnel system in my yard last year. My only complaint is we don't get nearly enough snow.
October 11, 2011 06:03PM
"Grew up" in Green Bay. Went to school in Madison.

20 was a heat wave. I'll take the Sierra... thank you very much.

Vividly recall going to Bear Valley Skiing... and driving down a "Luge Highway"..
was astounded at that much snow...

Now my parents call from Green Bay and they say "we got a foot of snow" and I
yawn and say "ho hum... only a foot".
Shoveling some chairs in the backcountry is fun... shoveling a driveway...
uh.. uh.. you enjoy that now.

tongue sticking out smiley

(We also lived in Lisle and the fine town of Freeport for a bit... )

Morrison said it... "The West is The Best... " "beautiful friend"

October 11, 2011 06:14PM
Can't argue with that.

But I do love shoveling the sidewalks...And I took a short walk in the famous blizzard this past winter and felt like I could have got lost in the middle of my neighborhood. It was wild.
October 11, 2011 06:17PM
I haven't been entirely successful explaining to relatives back in southeast Michigan that snow measured in (many) feet is fun, whereas snow measured in inches is in the way.

As for the subject of this thread...I'll be busy in the Bay Area that weekend.
October 14, 2011 01:13PM
I will never forget one day in November a million years ago when I was at the Navy Great Lakes Training Center (boot camp). We were all outside one morning stamping our feet and rubbing our hands together. Our company commander asked what our problem was. "We're cold" we all complained. He said, "Hell, you arn't going to be here when it gets cold!"
October 14, 2011 09:38PM
The loft in the village has the excellent pizza (usually, this last time the conveyor was running slow and burned our crust), the pizza at Curry is decent, but not excellent.
October 14, 2011 10:04PM
hotrod4x5

The loft in the village has the excellent pizza (usually, this last time the conveyor was running slow and burned our crust), the pizza at Curry is decent, but not excellent.

That's closer to my assessment, but not quite it.

I would rate Degnan's Loft pizza as very good (but not quite excellent) and Curry's Pizza Deck pizza as good (a little better than decent). So I too prefer the Loft's pizza over Curry's, but Curry's is fine too. I've never had a bad tasting pizza from either place.

(What truly sucks at the Curry Pizza Deck is their chili. Yuck! It close to being inedible, IMHO.)
October 15, 2011 09:05PM
curry pizza is the best. Wash it down with a mammoth IPA
October 15, 2011 09:22PM
Of the selections available in the Valley, I prefer the Newcastle's Brown Ale.
October 16, 2011 08:15AM
ryanmj

The Mammoth 'Epic' IPA is the closet smelling thing to walking naked, arms out, through a marijuana plantation in full autumn flowering. It's THAT strongly smelling of it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Hoppy, aromatic-to-the-stars, and strong.
October 16, 2011 09:05AM
tanngrisnir3
ryanmj

The Mammoth 'Epic' IPA is the closet smelling thing to walking naked, arms out, through a marijuana plantation in full autumn flowering. It's THAT strongly smelling of it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

FYI:
IPA is the standard shorthand in several industries for isopropyl alcohol.

[Depending on one's taste, it may also apply here.
isopropyl alcohol: A clear, colorless, flammable, mobile liquid that is one of the two isomers of propyl alcohol. It is used in antifreeze compounds, rubbing alcohol, lotions, and cosmetics, and also as a solvent for gums, shellac, and essential oils. Chemical formula: C3H7OH.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2011 12:08PM by szalkowski.
October 16, 2011 05:58PM
szalkowski
tanngrisnir3
ryanmj

FYI:
IPA is the standard shorthand in several industries for isopropyl alcohol.

[Depending on one's taste, it may also apply here.
isopropyl alcohol: A clear, colorless, flammable, mobile liquid that is one of the two isomers of propyl alcohol. It is used in antifreeze compounds, rubbing alcohol, lotions, and cosmetics, and also as a solvent for gums, shellac, and essential oils. Chemical formula: C3H7OH.]

I prefer the other.

Old Dude
October 16, 2011 07:50PM
mrcondron
I prefer the other.

How do you know?
October 17, 2011 01:13AM
tanngrisnir3

Please stay out of my backyard!

Oh and pass the IPA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login