All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Current Snow Levels?
October 14, 2011 08:38PM
Last weekend my hike to May Lake involved over a foot of snow. Has anyone been up in the area in the last couple of days? I am hoping to go back tomorrow but I want to go (mostly) snow-free.
Any info greatly appreciated!

Darren
Re: Current Snow Levels?
October 14, 2011 09:00PM
Looking at the webcam from Sentinal dome, I would say it is all gone except in shady areas.
October 14, 2011 09:03PM
dbagnall
Last weekend my hike to May Lake involved over a foot of snow. Has anyone been up in the area in the last couple of days? I am hoping to go back tomorrow but I want to go (mostly) snow-free.
Any info greatly appreciated!

See this post from Tuesday night:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,47453,47713#msg-47713

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 09:04PM by szalkowski.
October 14, 2011 09:22PM
Thanks so much. I figured it would be all gone by now but its good to get eye-witness accounts.
October 14, 2011 10:14PM
Don't know about the areas off Tioga, but within the valley, there's no snow at all. Well, other than tiny patches on Half Dome where the sunshine doesn't reach.

Yosemite, Bridalveil, Illilouette, and Tenaya Falls (the one you see from various places along Snow Creek trail) are all going. Tenaya Creek was perfect for dipping your feet into after a strenuous hike on a rather hot day.

Due to recent rainfall/snow, there was even some flow from Ribbon Fall!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 11:44PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
October 15, 2011 12:11AM
Ohnivy-Drak

Yosemite, Bridalveil, Illilouette, and Tenaya Falls (the one you see from various places along Snow Creek trail) are all going. Tenaya Creek was perfect for dipping your feet into after a strenuous hike on a rather hot day.

Due to recent rainfall/snow, there was even some flow from Ribbon Fall!

But the question on some people's minds is... is there water flowing over Horsetail Fall? wink
October 15, 2011 06:50AM
I tried photographing it on Monday night but the water was too low. I have not tried since then but I expect the water got better since then.
October 15, 2011 08:15PM
I thought about Horsetail, which I should have checked in hindsight. Is it usually going this time of year? Better than Ribbon when it is going?

Was also too late for any rainbows @ OMP. The sun had moved out of position by the time I was halfway through the rockslides. And to keep it relevant, on-topic, you can thank the recent snow for the increased waterfall flow. Although I must say Bridalveil and Ilillouette have been remained steady. Yosemite Falls is the one that looked about dried up 2-3 weeks ago, but now it's more than back & looks quite pleasant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2011 08:23PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
October 15, 2011 07:04AM
It was patchy at the trailhead to May Lake on Wednesday and the patches were only a couple of inches thick.
October 15, 2011 03:11PM
October 15, 2011 06:03PM

But the question on some people's minds is... is there water flowing over Horsetail Fall?

On another forum, someone mentioned this morning that Horsetail Fall is again dry.
October 16, 2011 08:26PM
In case anyone was wondering the snow is mostly gone (as of Saturday Evening).
The road to May lake is closed due to construction but is snow free. The trails are snow free but we ran into significant snow off-trail on North facing slopes.
We even saw a few small-ish lakes with completely frozen surfaces.

Also, just a reminder - you can now self-issue wilderness permits in Tuolumne but there is no overnight parking along Tioga road.
October 17, 2011 01:46AM
Is the Wilderness permit office still open in the Valley?
With the new permit system, when do you need to show up / get in line, for a next day entry permit?
I'll be in the valley next week and weather depending I might do some backpacking. I haven't gotten a permit since the change and want to make sure I'm there early enough, but not too early.

ADVthaAnksNCE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 01:48AM by qumqats.
October 17, 2011 09:59AM
qumqats
Is the Wilderness permit office still open in the Valley?
With the new permit system, when do you need to show up / get in line, for a next day entry permit?
I'll be in the valley next week and weather depending I might do some backpacking. I haven't gotten a permit since the change and want to make sure I'm there early enough, but not too early.

ADVthaAnksNCE

The permit office in the valley closes October 23rd so you should be fine. I believe you can get a walk-up permit for the next day starting at 11am.

These links should have all the information you seek or you can call the permit office.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm
October 17, 2011 10:48AM
Everything is self reg except LYV now.

You can get a permit in the valley year round. When the wilderness center is not open you pick
up your permit at the visitor center. If coming in anything but 140 and you are not going to LYV
you can write up your own. Once Badger Pass opens anything off of BP road you get your permit
at Badger Pass.

Have fun (reading nps site if you likey)

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 17, 2011 12:14PM
If I go BPing it'll be probably be up to LYV / 1/4 domes / Clouds Rest.

How is it different for LYV? I don't see mention of any exceptions for LYV on the web pages.
October 17, 2011 01:20PM
qumqats
If I go BPing it'll be probably be up to LYV / 1/4 domes / Clouds Rest.

How is it different for LYV? I don't see mention of any exceptions for LYV on the web pages.

It's different because that is where everyone goes. Typically what you will see on the self-reg permit
is something like "Fall/Winter 2011 Only - No Little Yosemite Valley" or something similar.
That is what the permit from Wawona says this year. BOF had just went to self reg on Saturday
and there were no permits out at the time I entered.
So... if you are staying IN LYV on your first day... then you need to go get a permit in the valley first.
If you are not then you can self reg at the other locations at any time.

October 17, 2011 01:44PM
>LYV / 1/4 domes / Clouds Rest

Great trip, I highly recommend it.

You could probably skirt any permit issues with a pass-through, camp at Sunrise Creek (much better than LYV IMHO).

There are some real nice sites up on the QD's. You might need to be a little creative with water.

I love when you can walk in, fill out your own permit, stuff it in the box. Freedom!
October 17, 2011 09:46PM
When it says "No Little Yosemite Valley" I just write on it
"NOT STAYING IN LYV smiling smiley "
Once winter really rolls around... the self regs will just say "Winter Use only".

Have fun
(and I agree 110% with QD)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login