All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Good Tenaya Canyon Write-Up
October 17, 2011 08:42PM
avatar Re: Good Tenaya Canyon Write-Up
October 18, 2011 11:57AM
Ohnivy-Drak

http://www.dankat.com/swhikes/tenaya.htm

It might be a good write up, but I couldn't finish reading it because the combination of the background color (aqua) and the text (brown) was too hard on my eyes. no, stop, enough!

Ouch!
October 18, 2011 12:11PM
plawrence

It might be a good write up, but I couldn't finish reading it because the combination of the background color (aqua) and the text (brown) was too hard on my eyes. no, stop, enough!

Ouch!

You might want consider printing it out on a non-color printer.
(Monochromatically Yours)
The Marmots

P.S. Use white paper.
October 18, 2011 12:59PM
In the writeup, I noticed this remark:

Christopher E. Brennen - Hike H3. Tenaya Canyon

“And quite abruptly you arrive at the top of the inner gorge where a dramatic, vertically walled canyon has been cut into the valley floor. You will notice several flat ledges on the right side of the canyon. Your route is along the large, lower ledge. But before taking that path, it is interesting to climb a few feet up to the higher ledge and follow it about 60yds along to a place where S.L.Foster carved his initials in the wall (37o46.75'N 119o30.16'W). Foster was one of Bob's predecessors in that he made annual trips down the canyon from 1909 to 1937 and this spot is now known as the ``Initial Ledge''. Someone has also installed a register in a plastic case in an alcove next to the initials.”

Has any of you that have done this hike seen and signed the register located in the alcove next to S.L. Foster's initials?

October 18, 2011 06:06PM
I know some people have... they just don't post...

I failed miserably both times in there to find it... I haven't seen the sign before the "bowl" either. Maybe the sign is gone now???
Or maybe I'm in my own little world too often... ???

For another reference point.. it took right around 8 hrs from Tenaya Lake to Ahwanee Hotel for me if I do some simple calculation...
although I already knew how to quickly get to first rap...

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Good Tenaya Canyon Write-Up
October 18, 2011 06:51PM
Hey Chick-on we also did not find the sign.

It took us 6 hours to get from Tenaya Lake to a short hike after Pywiack Cascades...before we decided to call it off and head up Airplane Gully. If I remember correctly it took us 5 hours to get to Olmsted Point from there from where we turned around.

We even talked about trying again the next day, this time via Airplane Gully, but ended up not tackling that and went to Glacier Point Apron and the Grack instead. I DEFINITELY will finish Tenaya Canyon at some point but I am very happy to have scrambled up up Airplane Gully and then climbed the Grack. It was all so cool. And the Grack gave me the confidence I needed to tackle Snake Dike at some point---hopefully next year.
October 18, 2011 07:05PM
I just read up on The Grack. It seems much more difficult, requires more technical skills than the Snake Dike, which I heard is mostly a friction walk. It does have a couple of sections that require ropes to get up, and one should have proper training in case s/he needs to turn back.
October 18, 2011 07:27PM
Just making sure I understand: Are you saying the Grack is much more technical than Snake Dike?

My understanding of Snake Dike is that the few pitches of Snake Dike are relatively difficult compared to the rest of the climb. The ending sections do end up being friction walks with long runouts of potential exposure.

And Supertopo rates the Grack as a 5.6 (I was told it was a 5.7 while I was there) and Supertopo rates Snake Dike as 5.7R (long runouts).
October 18, 2011 07:53PM
Most of the pitches on Snake Dike are the near the bottom, correct? And then there's one higher up, sort of like the route's Hillary Step, consisting of a shelf you need to climb over. I'm just trying to remember what a couple of family friends said about the route.

Ignore my evaluations on climbing. It was just my impression that the Silver Apron is tougher.
October 19, 2011 08:23PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Most of the pitches on Snake Dike are the near the bottom, correct? And then there's one higher up, sort of like the route's Hillary Step, consisting of a shelf you need to climb over. I'm just trying to remember what a couple of family friends said about the route.

Ignore my evaluations on climbing. It was just my impression that the Silver Apron is tougher.
I believe its something like this
October 18, 2011 06:15PM
Great site for canyoning in Southern California as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login