Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Snow Creek Trail

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Snow Creek Trail
October 18, 2011 08:02PM
Where are the best places, if any, to scramble off-trail to catch a glimpse of the waterfall or cascades? Or are there any "OMG" points that I'm unaware of? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2011 08:15PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
October 18, 2011 08:27PM
At the end of the long swithcback to the east (approx. 5200'), you can continue towards the creek over granite slabs and get a peek at Snow Creek falls. It's not a great view, but it's the most convenient access from the trail. The broad, flat, open area at elevation 6700', just off the trail before the junction and footbridge, has nice views of Half Dome and Tenaya Canyon.
October 18, 2011 08:41PM
At 5200', gotcha. The path heading out must not too obvious. And the places I've been looking have been higher up. Looks pretty steep at 5200' on my Harrison map.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2011 08:41PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
October 18, 2011 09:00PM
October 18, 2011 09:02PM
Great views from HD trail...
have also seen an incredible shot in a book from what looks like up a bit off trail just
S of Tenaya Creek...

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 18, 2011 08:38PM
If you go up there earlier in the year, you needn't scramble off trail at all. The waterfalls will stop you right in your tracks.

There are nice views all along, usually I just blast up then jump off-trail to head over to the dome at the top.

If you want to see Snow Creek Falls close up, another option is an abandoned/use trail on the north side of the Tenaya Creek, leading from the bridge to the base of the falls. From there you can scramble up as far as you are comfortable with.
October 18, 2011 08:58PM
Wow, nice. Just another example of how I need to put in a bit more effort to go during the colder times of the year. You are talking about the dome to the right side of Basket, no? Is there a name for that thing?
October 18, 2011 09:17PM
Schaffer calls it "Snow Creek Point"; the rest of us call it 6700 feet - as marked on the map.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login