Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Crazy Yosemite Drivers

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 19, 2011 09:13AM
What is it about drivers in the park? They get in the park and act like the rules of the road no longer apply, like they're in some kind of natural Disneyland. I've read a lot of driving stories and had my fair share of experiences but yesterday had to take the cake.

About 7:30 am we were on Tioga Road a few miles west of Olmstead Point when I caught up with a slow moving bus-sized RV. This driver was all over the road, not just occasionally crossing the center double yellow line, but actually driving in the opposite direction lane as though it was a one way road like in the valley! He finally pulled over and let us by.

On the way back late in the afternoon, we were in the usual line of slow traffic with a SUV ahead of me, with 3 or 4 people in the vehicle. This driver spent half the time driving right down the center of the road, having to move right whenever there was an oncoming car. This went on for miles, even on blind turns. There's a lot more traffic at 4 pm than there is at 7:30 am. When we got to the last 35 mph zone, the driver ahead avoided a head-on by a foot. Maybe that finally scared the passengers because the vehicle pulled over right after that near miss.

My experience in the park is that the rangers need to spend a lot more time handing out tickets to drivers doing stupid things, including stopping in the middle of the road to look at something or to photograph a bear, driving 30 mph on Tioga Road with 20 vehicles behind them and refusing to pull over, and worry a lot less about the few times it's possible to break the speed limit. Speeding is nowhere near the top driving issue in the park. If you want to sight see or photograph, pull off the road and do it. Have some courtesy for everyone else.

Panoramic Images - http://panoramas.aa6g.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2011 09:39AM by Calaveras.
avatar Re: Crazy Yosemite Drivers
October 19, 2011 09:55AM
Calaveras

On the way back late in the afternoon, we were in the usual line of slow traffic with a SUV ahead of me, with 3 or 4 people in the vehicle. This driver spent half the time driving right down the center of the road, having to move right whenever there was an oncoming car. This went on for miles, even on blind turns. There's a lot more traffic at 4 pm than there is at 7:30 am. When we got to the last 35 mph zone, the driver ahead avoided a head-on by a foot. Maybe that finally scared the passengers because the vehicle pulled over right after that near miss.

I've seen a good share of drivers in Yosemite do this too. Usually on Wawona Road. I simply can't comprehend their stupidity of driving down the center line of the road, EVEN AROUND BLIND CURVES! I don't know if they have a subconscious death wish or what.
October 19, 2011 10:38AM
It's probably the first time they've driven in a large vehicle/RV/SUV AND the first time they've been in real mountains.
They don't know how wide they are and are over compensating.
My guess is they're scared to death of the road.
October 19, 2011 11:25AM
qumqats

It's probably the first time they've driven in a large vehicle/RV/SUV AND the first time they've been in real mountains.
They don't know how wide they are and are over compensating.
My guess is they're scared to death of the road.

It's usually NOT people who are driving rental RV's (or any type of RVs) but usually SUV, pickup truck, or minivan drivers. And they vehicles don't look like rentals since they usually have dealership license plate frames or other personalization of the vehicle that I assume they're the owners of the vehicle.

But I think you might be right that they're probably more afraid of going over the edge of the road that being hit by oncoming traffic, except that some of these drivers (especially the pickup truck drivers) based on what's on their vehicles I think are local drivers who just like to play Russian roulette with their lives assuming that there's no oncoming traffic coming around the blind curve.
October 19, 2011 11:01AM
I was driving the speed limit just east of the Tuolumne Meadows store headed out of the park. A guy tail gated me, then finally passed. No sooner had he gotten by me did he have to slow down for the entrance station. When we started down the pass, he became a snail and I was stuck behind him as he crawled down the pass at 30-35 mph, braking for every turn (he was already going slow enough). I just don't get some people!
October 19, 2011 11:33AM
hotrod4x5

I was driving the speed limit just east of the Tuolumne Meadows store headed out of the park. A guy tail gated me, then finally passed. No sooner had he gotten by me did he have to slow down for the entrance station. When we started down the pass, he became a snail and I was stuck behind him as he crawled down the pass at 30-35 mph, braking for every turn (he was already going slow enough). I just don't get some people!

Yeah, similar things have happend to me too. Fortunately, I'm usually able to pass safely slow moving vehicles heading down Tioga Pass Road in Lee Vining Canyon at the appropriate passing zones on the highway. But I have had that stunt pulled on me where the next passing zone is many miles away.

October 19, 2011 07:12PM
This seems to be a constant topic around here. Llama
October 19, 2011 07:20PM
Dave
This seems to be a constant topic around here. Llama

October 19, 2011 07:23PM
In fact, maybe Calaveras will meet up with the fine chap who insisted that people had a right to _park_ in the middle of the road (?) to take in sights because this was a national park, the roads weren't intended to get people from point A to point B, and people who objected just didn't get it. Or the person who insisted that it might be understandable if someone refused to use a pullout because their vehicle may be incapable of safely pulling out from the pullout before nightfall. Yet, somehow, this same vehicle was capable of safely traveling on the public roads.
October 20, 2011 05:29AM
Some things never change at the park...
October 20, 2011 12:13PM
I have to agree that the slow drivers are the worst. I have been stuck behind literally hundreds of different cars refusing to use turn-outs, even with a dozen or more cars behind them. The rudeness is spectacular. I always assumed it was a control issue!
October 20, 2011 09:23PM
I think another reason some drivers don't use the turnouts is that they never look at their rear view mirror while driving. So they don't have a clue that a whole bunch of vehicles are backed up behind them.

October 21, 2011 08:29AM
Slow drivers are the worst?
Maybe; it depends.

I've seen some pretty bad fast drivers.
And then there are those who just do silly/dangerous things, like riding the centerline for miles, even through blind corners.
Point is, many types of driving habits can be...the worst smiling smiley.
October 20, 2011 09:44PM
People who will not pull off drive me nuts also but also the ones that are driving over the speed limit and tailgate. The last time we were in Yosemite my husband was already going a few miles over the speed limit when a BMW started to tailgate us then would drop back and then tailgate again. We pulled off at the next pull off and lo and behold the BMW pulled right in behind us so we sat there and waited for them to leave. After a few minutes of both cars sitting there, my husband pulled out and the BMW pulled out right behind us and started tailgating again. We were really stumped about why they stopped in the pull out behind us and then pulled out when we did. We were wondering if they were uncomfortable driving and wanted someone in front of them for some reason.

I wonder if the parks also follow the laws of the state they are in. In California if you have 5 cars behind you, you are required to pull off and you can get a ticket (if a cop is around) if you don't.
October 20, 2011 09:50PM
OK. I bitched about the clowns holding me up on 41 in another thread recently...

but this is another good one..

Wifey and I are headed up to TM .... heading past Tuol. Grove.. it's 25 mph ...
I'm going 30... some turkey on a motorcycle is behind us... obviously all
antsy... right at Yose Institute he decides to pass us on double yellow...
just at that moment... park ranger coming the other way...
ranger screams around right in front of us to make U turn... after turning
lights on... follows the guy to Gin Flat and promptly pulls the guy over.

Have also seen many times on Tioga... people scream by me speeding...
and in 10 minutes we drive by ... ranger out talking to them...

Have a nice day

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 21, 2011 12:16PM
chick-on
Have also seen many times on Tioga... people scream by me speeding...
and in 10 minutes we drive by ... ranger out talking to them...

Have to say I've seen that a few times myself. winking smiley
October 21, 2011 06:48AM
parklover
People who will not pull off drive me nuts also but also the ones that are driving over the speed limit and tailgate. The last time we were in Yosemite my husband was already going a few miles over the speed limit when a BMW started to tailgate us then would drop back and then tailgate again. We pulled off at the next pull off and lo and behold the BMW pulled right in behind us so we sat there and waited for them to leave. After a few minutes of both cars sitting there, my husband pulled out and the BMW pulled out right behind us and started tailgating again. We were really stumped about why they stopped in the pull out behind us and then pulled out when we did. We were wondering if they were uncomfortable driving and wanted someone in front of them for some reason.

FBI field training?smiling bouncing smiley
October 21, 2011 12:11PM
tomdisco
parklover

FBI field training?smiling bouncing smiley

Sometimes I feel like it is some sort of a game other drivers are trying to play, maybe tag. I have had this happen in more than one place, not only in parks, where you are being tailgated so you pull over the next chance you get and they blow right past you. You pull out and then they start driving really slow and will not pull over for a while. They pull over and now you are in front and they then decide they want to go fast so they tail gate you again so you pull off again. When you are back on the road, then they slow down. Is this some kind of power trip on their part?

I can see this maybe happening in a park where someone sees something that catches their attention. However, I can't figure out the reason when you are on a freeway and they tailgate you so you pull in the slow lane, they pass you and immediately cut in front of you so you have to slam on your brakes. They go really slow and so you pass and the whole sequence starts again. I have this happen almost every time we are on the 99 and you can't say that there are any really outstanding things to look at on that freeway.
October 21, 2011 07:16AM
Although I don't condone speeding in the park nor do I engage in it, I try to drive the speed limit whenever possible. If someone does tailgate me then I will pull over and let them by or if they start to pass I'll take my foot off the gas to make it easier for them. I don't think it is my role to enforce the speed limits and I don't want some p***ed off driver on my tail.

October 21, 2011 01:46PM
Hwys 41, 120, and 140 are state highways so I can't imagine there is a different set of laws just because they cross a park boundary. But I have never seen one instance of a cop pulling over a slow driver with a stack of traffic behind them anywhere ever. If they did that on a regular basis like they hand out speeding tickets, drivers would get the message and pull over more frequently. Everyone knows that there is virtually no chance you'll get a ticket because you're heading a line of traffic going 10 mph under the limit. Traffic flow would improve a lot if everyone knew they were at risk of a ticket for holding up traffic.

BTW, my original post was not intended to pick on slow drivers. The SUV ahead of me who was splitting the center line was mostly driving the limit. There are crazy drivers at all speeds. It's a myth though that fast drivers are automatically unsafe. Driving is just like anything else, individual skills range from non-existent to top notch. It's mostly low skill drivers who believe faster drivers are unsafe. This is no different than people who believe that those of you who rock climb in Yosemite are crazy people tempting death. They seem to be unaware of natural ability and skill difference.

October 21, 2011 07:15PM
Calaveras
Hwys 41, 120, and 140 are state highways so I can't imagine there is a different set of laws just because they cross a park boundary. But I have never seen one instance of a cop pulling over a slow driver with a stack of traffic behind them anywhere ever. If they did that on a regular basis like they hand out speeding tickets, drivers would get the message and pull over more frequently. Everyone knows that there is virtually no chance you'll get a ticket because you're heading a line of traffic going 10 mph under the limit. Traffic flow would improve a lot if everyone knew they were at risk of a ticket for holding up traffic.
For the cop it's a safety issue and a "who's going to get the ticket" issue. If the cop is 10 cars down the line, how is he going to safely pass all those cars to get to the problem? Then, when he gets there, who gets the ticket? The guy going slow or the 5 people tailgating?

BTW, my original post was not intended to pick on slow drivers. The SUV ahead of me who was splitting the center line was mostly driving the limit. There are crazy drivers at all speeds. It's a myth though that fast drivers are automatically unsafe. Driving is just like anything else, individual skills range from non-existent to top notch. It's mostly low skill drivers who believe faster drivers are unsafe. This is no different than people who believe that those of you who rock climb in Yosemite are crazy people tempting death. They seem to be unaware of natural ability and skill difference.
In the Park RV drivers are being pulled over all the time for a warning about being "left of center." In my 8 years of listening to the park radio I have not heard one warning, or ticket, dealing with going too slow and not pulling over.
October 21, 2011 07:22PM
Dave
Calaveras
For the cop it's a safety issue and a "who's going to get the ticket" issue. If the cop is 10 cars down the line, how is he going to safely pass all those cars to get to the problem? Then, when he gets there, who gets the ticket? The guy going slow or the 5 people tailgating?

So...my most memorable 'failure to use turnouts' example was admittedly from a couple decades ago...I was driving down US50 on a winter Sunday evening, and some asshole decided to drive all the way at about 20 MPH or so, straddling the dashed white line whenever a passing lane opened up so nobody could pass. All the way down until it became a freeway. Apparently, no police anywhere around Placerville ever wondered why there was no traffic in their town on a Sunday evening for a really extended period.

I'm not sure the 'safety' and 'whos going to get the ticket' thing fully explains it.

Edit: there were no chain controls at the time (there had been light snow, but no chain controls, in the morning)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 07:27PM by ttilley.
October 21, 2011 07:37PM
ttilley
So...my most memorable 'failure to use turnouts' example was admittedly from a couple decades ago...I was driving down US50 on a winter Sunday evening, and some asshole decided to drive all the way at about 20 MPH or so, straddling the dashed white line whenever a passing lane opened up so nobody could pass. All the way down until it became a freeway. Apparently, no police anywhere around Placerville ever wondered why there was no traffic in their town on a Sunday evening for a really extended period.
A few weeks ago I was doing almost that. The road had about 2 inches of slush, and I think there were chain controls but no one had chains. I was in 4wd and going about 25. One of the cars behind me looked anxious to pass. The funny part is that the guy behind me had to have passed a car upside down on the road. That should have been proof the road was slippery.

I'm not sure the 'safety' and 'whos going to get the ticket' thing fully explains it.
For the cops it does, and it does make sense. How is the cop going to safely pass 10, or more, cars on a windy mountain road? I wouldn't risk my life to ticket someone going slow.
October 21, 2011 08:32PM
Dave
ttilley
A few weeks ago I was doing almost that. The road had about 2 inches of slush, and I think there were chain controls but no one had chains. I was in 4wd and going about 25. One of the cars behind me looked anxious to pass. The funny part is that the guy behind me had to have passed a car upside down on the road. That should have been proof the road was slippery.

For the cops it does, and it does make sense. How is the cop going to safely pass 10, or more, cars on a windy mountain road? I wouldn't risk my life to ticket someone going slow.

In my case there was no slush, and a long line of cars started at the top of the grade and went all the way down.

I'd have assumed that a semi-curious Placerville officer might have pre-positioned himself down the grade. No need to pass anyone.

Edit: And I'm assuming you weren't really doing what I described, which was straddling the white lines whenever a passing lane occurred so as to prevent anyone from passing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 08:36PM by ttilley.
October 21, 2011 08:42PM
ttilley
I'd have assumed that a semi-curious Placerville officer might have pre-positioned himself down the grade. No need to pass anyone.

The CHP has been known to use a spotter that radios ahead. The offender then gets flagged over when he reaches the other officer.
October 21, 2011 09:31PM
eeek
The CHP has been known to use a spotter that radios ahead. The offender then gets flagged over when he reaches the other officer.

That would be a very safe way to do it. But think of the cost for a couple of officers for a couple of hours compared to the cost of the ticket. Then think of a better use for those officers, like catching real criminals. I'm not trying to defend the bad drivers, but catching slow drivers isn't all that high on their priority list.
October 21, 2011 09:35PM
ttilley
In my case there was no slush, and a long line of cars started at the top of the grade and went all the way down.
No doubt the guy was being an ass.

Or out looking for a meth lab.

Edit: And I'm assuming you weren't really doing what I described, which was straddling the white lines whenever a passing lane occurred so as to prevent anyone from passing.
No, I was just going slow. If they wanted to pass, and kill themselves, that's their problem. I wasn't playing traffic cop, just driving responsibly. I could have pulled over but the pullouts were slushier than the road and probably full of ice.
October 22, 2011 03:45PM
Dave

No, I was just going slow. If they wanted to pass, and kill themselves, that's their problem. I wasn't playing traffic cop, just driving responsibly. I could have pulled over but the pullouts were slushier than the road and probably full of ice.

If there were five or more vehicles behind you, then you should have pulled over at a turnout, regardless if it was slushy or not. If there were fewer than five vehicles behind you, then it was your discretion to do so or not.

In a very similar circumstance to yours, I pulled over at the first slushy turnout to let an other car pass me. Not that I had do, but it was just a considerate thing for me to do. I like being nice to my fellow drivers.
October 22, 2011 03:59PM
plawrence
If there were five or more vehicles behind you, then you should have pulled over at a turnout, regardless if it was slushy or not. If there were fewer than five vehicles behind you, then it was your discretion to do so or not.
I was concerned with my safety. I could not care less about theirs. On a dry, sunny, day, I'll pull over for one car. This day was different.
October 21, 2011 07:41PM
Dave
how is he going to safely pass all those cars to get to the problem?

Turn on those flashy lights and people get out of the way (usually).
October 22, 2011 12:08AM
eeek
Dave

How is he going to safely pass all those cars to get to the problem?

Turn on those flashy lights and people get out of the way (usually).

I was just going to suggest that. The officer just needs to turn on his siren and lights so all the cars in front of him can pullover to let him pass.

I've actually seen Law Enforcement Rangers in Yosemite do that – not to pullover the slow driver at the head of the line though, but to move quickly through the line so they can get to another emergency call quicker.
October 22, 2011 06:42AM
plawrence
I was just going to suggest that. The officer just needs to turn on his siren and lights so all the cars in front of him can pullover to let him pass.
Do these lights go around blind corners?

I've actually seen Law Enforcement Rangers in Yosemite do that – not to pullover the slow driver at the head of the line though, but to move quickly through the line so they can get to another emergency call quicker.
That's right, something far more important than someone going slow.
October 22, 2011 03:39PM
Dave
plawrence
Do these lights go around blind corners?

The sound of the siren does.

Dave

That's right, something far more important than someone going slow.

There's not always something urgent that needs attending to by the rangers. I don't mind them using radar to tag speeders, but they also need to crack down on other types of bad drivers too.

October 22, 2011 04:02PM
plawrence
The sound of the siren does.
No, it does not. Any cop doing what you want would be a fool risking his life and that of those in the other vehicles.

Dave
There's not always something urgent that needs attending to by the rangers.
And you know this how?

I don't mind them using radar to tag speeders, but they also need to crack down on other types of bad drivers too.
Sure, in a safe manner.
October 22, 2011 08:14PM
Dave
plawrence
There's not always something urgent that needs attending to by the rangers.

And you know this how?

By observation.

In Yosemite especially, there appears to be many times during the day where the law enforcement rangers have enough time to park their vehicles by the road at the bottom of a hill and wait there to catch people speeding using radar. Hence, there isn't any urgent call that ranger needs to attend do, otherwise that ranger wouldn't be parked on the side of road waiting for speeders.

Which actually points out a very safe and effective solution on how to nab slow drivers who don't use turnouts to let other drivers pass.

As anyone who travels frequently on Yosemite roads knows, the law enforcement rangers looking for speeders like to park their vehicles at the bottom of a hill at the end of a long straightaway. Quite of few of these straightaways on Tioga Road and Big Oak Flat Road have pullouts (sometimes very long pullouts) in the middle of the straightaway. So all what a ranger needs to do is park his or her vehicle past the pullout while waiting for either speeders or slow drivers.

Then if a slow driver drives past the turnout without pulling over to let five or more vehicles pass, the ranger can pull over the slow driver as he drives by the ranger vehicle. A pretty simple and straightforward solution.

October 22, 2011 09:32PM
October 23, 2011 09:01AM
Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
October 23, 2011 11:46AM
Dave

We presume that this means you are going to stop bothering to respond to inane posts on this thread.
(DrivenMadly Yours)
The Marmots

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 11:48AM by szalkowski.
October 23, 2011 12:22PM
szalkowski
Dave

We presume that this means you are going to stop bothering to respond to inane posts on this thread.
(DrivenMadly Yours)
The Marmots

Yeah, it's not worth the bother.
October 23, 2011 07:25PM
was concerned with my safety. I could not care less about theirs

Incredible.

Beyond selfish. If you bothered about caring about other drivers, you would simply have put on your blinkers and rolled down your window, passing them on ahead (since the turn-outs were "slushy."winking smiley

Car and Driver and countless other auto publications always point out that SLOW drivers cause 80% of accidents. The sheer Hubris of driving slowly because it suits you is not only spectacularly selfish, it's also against the law. If there are 5 drivers behind you and you don't get over, it's a $400 ticket. This is plainly against the law and clearly stated as such on the CA DMV website, as well as the DMV drivers manual.
October 23, 2011 09:28PM
Ulysses61
was concerned with my safety. I could not care less about theirs

Incredible. ....
Not another one.Cry baby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 09:29PM by Dave.
October 24, 2011 12:23PM
Was driving east through the Valley on the one way Southside Drive when suddenly I realized there was a car coming at me going the wrong way. I slowed down and stopped and got out as he stopped, facing my car. He was elderly and I kindly told him he was going the wrong way. We stopped traffic in both eastbound lanes and helped him turn around and got him going in the right direction. Apparently he had come out of the Yellow Pine picnic area and turned right instead of left.

One time I made the turn from the Northside drive onto the crossover at Pohono bridge and suddenly was staring at a pack of motorcycles coming at me going the wrong way. Not only were they going the wong way on that road they then turned right onto Northside drive and headed east going the wrong way again. There were probably 30 of them. Talk about a bunch of Lemmings!

If you stand at the corner of Southside Drive at the the Sentinel bridge you will witness an incredible number of rolling stops. Literally 95% of the eastbound traffic at that stop sign does not come to a complete stop (I've actually stood there many times and counted (I know, I need a life!)).... It's comical. It's a must see when I'm riding my bike. Now most of them are only running the stop at a couple of miles an hour but what is astonishing is the the high percentage of vehicles that don't come to a complete stop. I guess they are in a hurry to get to the Camp Curry Pizza porch!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 12:29PM by mtn man.
October 24, 2011 03:26PM
mtn man
I guess they are in a hurry to get to the Camp Curry Pizza porch!

I hate to make excuses for bad driving but the pizza at Camp Curry is REALLY good!
October 24, 2011 03:44PM
chicagocwright
mtn man
I guess they are in a hurry to get to the Camp Curry Pizza porch!

I hate to make excuses for bad driving but the pizza at Camp Curry is REALLY good!
It's fair, but far from REALLY GOOD.
October 25, 2011 08:18AM
mtn man
Now most of them are only running the stop at a couple of miles an hour but what is astonishing is the the high percentage of vehicles that don't come to a complete stop. I guess they are in a hurry to get to the Camp Curry Pizza porch!

Sorry, didn't want this comment to start the whole Pizza debate AGAIN. It was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Back to crazy drivers: At this same corner the bike path on the south side of Southside drive comes into the intersection and widens out (almost looks like a golf cart path). I watched once as a foreigner in a rental car turned onto the bike path and attempted to drive on it. He didn't get very far as the path narrows. He couldn't back it out or get turned around. A ranger arrived and got him backed up and back onto the road. Comical.
October 25, 2011 10:43AM
mtn man
mtn man

Back to crazy drivers: At this same corner the bike path on the south side of Southside drive comes into the intersection and widens out (almost looks like a golf cart path). I watched once as a foreigner in a rental car turned onto the bike path and attempted to drive on it. He didn't get very far as the path narrows. He couldn't back it out or get turned around. A ranger arrived and got him backed up and back onto the road. Comical.

On one of our last Yosemite visits, we were riding our bikes down the path near the Visitor Center when a car came up the part of the path where it is wide. The driver turned into the road that goes to Degnan's, which is the wrong way, and then turned left onto the path. It appeared that they thought they could drive right up to the visitor center and park there. There was a ranger there and we all tried to get the driver to understand that they were not on a road but they did not understand English very well. The ranger was just about to lead a walk so we offered to ride our bikes in front of the car and take them to Northside Drive. It was a challenge to get them to follow us.
October 24, 2011 06:27PM
PLEASE...not another thread hijacked by a Curry Village Pizza debate?!?!?!? Didn't this one drive it sufficiently in to the ground?
October 24, 2011 07:38PM
DavidK42
PLEASE...not another thread hijacked by a Curry Village Pizza debate?!?!?!? Didn't this one drive it sufficiently in to the ground?

Just a little levity to a thread that seemed like it needed some. And I still dream about that pizza I had on two consecutive nights after long days at Yosemite...
October 24, 2011 08:43PM
chicagocwright
Just a little levity to a thread that seemed like it needed some. And I still dream about that pizza I had on two consecutive nights after long days at Yosemite...
Someone said the pizza at Degnans was good. Saturday was my last day for the season so I thought I'd walk over there and try some. Closed. Private party. Had to settle for the mediocre take and bake from Mariposa. So it goes.
October 24, 2011 08:54PM
Dave
chicagocwright
Someone said the pizza at Degnans was good. Saturday was my last day for the season so I thought I'd walk over there and try some. Closed. Private party. Had to settle for the mediocre take and bake from Mariposa. So it goes.
Their pizza is usually very good. The last time I was there, however, I think the conveyer was going too slow, ours was burned, and everyone else's I saw was burned. Normally they are wonderful.
October 24, 2011 10:15PM
hotrod4x5
Their pizza is usually very good. The last time I was there, however, I think the conveyer was going too slow, ours was burned, and everyone else's I saw was burned. Normally they are wonderful.
You'd think the cook would notice. Someone that knew how to make a pizza wouldn't burn all of them. They could speed up the conveyer, or better yet, use a brick oven.
October 24, 2011 09:18PM
Dave
chicagocwright

Well now that this is the pizza conversation I have to rant.

First, I've never had Degnan's Pizza but I don't know if I can trust the opinions about Degnan's based on the slander against Curry Pizza Deck.

Second, after the counterfeit imitation non-pizza created by the terribly misnamed California Pizza Kitchen I think all Californians should be disqualified from any pizza judging conversation. (CPZ was created after I left California.)

Feed ME!
October 24, 2011 10:24PM
chicagocwright
First, I've never had Degnan's Pizza but I don't know if I can trust the opinions about Degnan's based on the slander against Curry Pizza Deck.
I have not eaten at either pizza place.

Second, after the counterfeit imitation non-pizza created by the terribly misnamed California Pizza Kitchen I think all Californians should be disqualified from any pizza judging conversation. (CPZ was created after I left California.):
I've not eaten there either. The best ever pizza used to be a place in Wahiawa Hawaii that made a Sicilian pizza. ONE slice was a complete meal. That pizza was sooooooo good I once bribed a cop out of a speeding ticket with a slice. Once you've had the best, the rest is a disappointment.
October 25, 2011 12:35AM
Dave
]I have not eaten at either pizza place.

And you are still alive. Conclusion?
October 25, 2011 09:14AM
eeek
Dave
]I have not eaten at either pizza place.

And you are still alive. Conclusion?

My conclusion is that to remain alive I avoid eating pizza from either place.
October 25, 2011 12:34AM
chicagocwright
First, I've never had Degnan's Pizza

I have. It's expensive and not at all good. Typical of national park monopolies.
October 25, 2011 09:01AM
chicagocwright
Dave
chicagocwright

Well now that this is the pizza conversation I have to rant.

Second, after the counterfeit imitation non-pizza created by the terribly misnamed California Pizza Kitchen I think all Californians should be disqualified from any pizza judging conversation. (CPZ was created after I left California.)

Feed ME!

Ok, I am going to be bad and add another pizza comment to this thread.

Chicagocwright, I hope that you are playing Devils Advocate or being humorous and not that you are serious. Well, you have never had Degnan’s pizza so you can’t compare and should take the opinions of others in stride. Slander, can you even slander a pizza? I just know that we have been eating pizza in Yosemite for decades and there has been times we lived on it. I have found that Curry’s is not as good as it used to be and Degnan’s is now better. I can also say Yosemite pizza no matter where you get it, is not the best or even the worse pizza that I have eaten.

I have found that New York City and Chicago put out some very outstanding pizza. They are hard to compare because the NYC pizza was thin crust and the Chicago was deep dish and I enjoyed both. It is hard to find really good pizza where we live. Our favorite place was family owned for many decades and the grand kids did not want to run a restaurant so it closed. They also had one of the best lasagna that I have tasted.

CPK is designer pizza and while some are good and others not, they can't be compared to real PIZZA.

Maybe we should start a thread called. “ Pizza I have known and loved.” Any opinions on where you can get the best pizza in Oakhurst?
October 25, 2011 09:20AM
parklover
Maybe we should start a thread called. “ Pizza I have known and loved.” Any opinions on where you can get the best pizza in Oakhurst?
By driving to Pyzano's Pizzeria in Castro Valley.
October 25, 2011 10:09AM
Flying to Rome...
October 25, 2011 10:16AM
Tann: I am disappointed that a Curry Pizza lover would so quickly abandon the cause because of a little line on the Deck. It's worth the wait!

Parklover: In a moment of weakness I might admit to some hyperbole but I honestly do not understand the naysayers of the Curry Pizza Deck. It really is good pizza everytime I go. Maybe folks aren't getting the right toppings? As I mentioned I can't compare Degnan's.

As far as Chicago pizza you are correct. Great Stuff. Most tourists will go to Giordano's and it is very good but that isn't even the best deep dish. There are multiple choices all through the City.

Finally, your sentiments on CPK were exactly my point. CPK is NOT real pizza. And it's the best hypothesis I could come up with on why a few folks here are so misguided on their opinions about Curry.

SaveCurryPizza.com
October 25, 2011 07:28AM
DavidK42

I was just at Curry this weekend, looking forward to sharing the best pizza in the park w/my g/f, and I've never seen a line that long on the deck.

We ended up eating the utterly pedestrian chips & salsa at the Mountain Room bar, packed to the gills with World Series fans.

Sigh.
October 25, 2011 08:08AM
tanngrisnir3
DavidK42

I was just at Curry this weekend, looking forward to sharing the best pizza in the park w/my g/f....

El Portal Pizza delivers into the valley?
(Epicureanly Yours)
The Marmots
October 25, 2011 08:46AM
So you decided to bail on having the world's greatest pizza and instead munch on just chips & salsa two miles away because the line was too long? Exactly how long was the line for the fabulous Curry Pizza Deck pizza?

October 26, 2011 09:20AM
plawrence
So you decided to bail on having the world's greatest pizza and instead munch on just chips & salsa two miles away because the line was too long? Exactly how long was the line for the fabulous Curry Pizza Deck pizza?

It was not only moving very slowly, it was out below the stairs to the deck, after dark, and baby didn't feel like waiting.

That's 'too long' in my book.
October 25, 2011 10:45AM
On one of our last Yosemite visits, we were riding our bikes down the path near the Visitor Center when a car came up the part of the path where it is wide. The driver turned into the road that goes to Degnan's, which is the wrong way, and then turned left onto the path. It appeared that they thought they could drive right up to the visitor center and park there. There was a ranger there and we all tried to get the driver to understand that they were not on a road but they did not understand English very well. The ranger was just about to lead a walk so we offered to ride our bikes in front of the car and take them to Northside Drive. It was a challenge to get them to follow us.
October 26, 2011 02:42AM
parklover

On one of our last Yosemite visits, we were riding our bikes down the path near the Visitor Center when a car came up the part of the path where it is wide. The driver turned into the road that goes to Degnan's, which is the wrong way, and then turned left onto the path. It appeared that they thought they could drive right up to the visitor center and park there.

Once upon a time, that's where the parking lot for the Yosemite Valley Vistor was located. Maybe they're real Yosemite old-timers who hadn't been to the park in ages! wink

And even if they're newcomers to Yosemite, just think about this: how many U.S. National Park Visitor Centers are there that one CANNOT drive up and park their vehicles near it?

October 26, 2011 06:54AM
plawrence
parklover

Once upon a time, that's where the parking lot for the Yosemite Valley Vistor was located. Maybe they're real Yosemite old-timers who hadn't been to the park in ages! wink

And even if they're newcomers to Yosemite, just think about this: how many U.S. National Park Visitor Centers are there that one CANNOT drive up and park their vehicles near it?

It looked like they were in their 30's so they were not old timers. But you do have a point since I have been to many NPS units and right off the top of my head, I can't think of any that do not have parking lots either in the front or in the back. Another possibility is that they were driving with a GPS and it did not have current info in it. However, the part that they were driving on is the section that is the narrow section where the trees divide the pedestrian mall in front of Degnan's and the AA Gallery from the bike path and is clearly marked as a bike path where they turned onto it. They also could have gotten confused or were not able to read the signs in English.
October 26, 2011 10:28AM
parklover

Another possibility is that they were driving with a GPS and it did not have current info in it.

That reminds of a time when I got a new GPS for my car about six years ago. For fun (since I already knew how to get there) I programmed it to direct me to the Yosemite Lodge. To my surprise and amusement, it told me to make a lefthand turn from Southside Drive onto Swinging Bridge and take the bike path to the Lodge. Head roll

October 26, 2011 11:53AM
I've seen drivers cross double-yellow all the time. The strange thing is once they pass, suddenly they become passive/defensive and start breaking non-stop.

One of the more egregious passes occurred near Chinese Camp. Someone from the other side decided it was cool to use the left turn lane - night time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2011 11:53AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
October 26, 2011 02:48PM
plawrence
parklover

Another possibility is that they were driving with a GPS and it did not have current info in it.

That reminds of a time when I got a new GPS for my car about six years ago. For fun (since I already knew how to get there) I programmed it to direct me to the Yosemite Lodge. To my surprise and amusement, it told me to make a lefthand turn from Southside Drive onto Swinging Bridge and take the bike path to the Lodge. Head roll

Funny that you mentioned that but so does ours. Does anyone know if or when there was a road that went that way?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login