Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glen Aulin Hike - Next Week

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Glen Aulin Hike - Next Week
October 19, 2011 10:58AM
My husband, sister, and I are planning on spending 4 days in Yosemite next week for my sister's 50th birthday! We would like to hike out/back to Glen Aulin on one of the days, as well as the following on the other days: Lambert Dome/Gaylor Lakes, and Pohono Trail.

Any tips (besides celebrating the big birthday!) on the trail conditions or general hike information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!
avatar Re: Glen Aulin Hike - Next Week
October 19, 2011 12:30PM
If you're doing Gaylor Lakes consider following the ridge up to Gaylor Peak. Amazing views and not terribly hard.
If you're going down to Waterwheel Falls make sure you get to it, i.e don't stop at LeConte Falls.
Watch out for the weather. So far it looks like it's going to be good but . . . Bring what you need on the trip to be prepared for cold and wet.
I'm hoping to be backpacking between Half Dome and Clouds Rest next week so I'm in the same ball game. I'm crossing my fingers that the weather will be good all week.
Have fun!
October 19, 2011 01:07PM
qumqats
Watch out for the weather. So far it looks like it's going to be good but . . . Bring what you need on the trip to be prepared for cold and wet.

And remember how short the days are this time of year.
October 19, 2011 02:21PM
Thanks qumqats for the recommendation on Gaylor Lakes, we will definitely take that route. I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather for your hikes now too! We plan to be on the trail early and to turn around at Glen Aulin, don't think we'll be able to make it to waterwheel falls.

And thanks eeek for the time reminders, the days are definitely getting shorter. :-)

My husband and I are from Reno and are frequent visitors to the park/have hiked all around Tahoe. We are aware of how fast conditions can change/the importance of being prepared for all of it - as they say layers, layers, layers!
October 19, 2011 03:41PM
That is good advice from eeek on taking into account the time. The Glen Aulin hike is beautiful, but it is a long one. If you have time constraints take a look at the hike to Ten Lakes. It is a wonderful hike as well, and just not quite as long. Good luck!

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir
October 19, 2011 04:50PM
muirman
That is good advice from eeek on taking into account the time. The Glen Aulin hike is beautiful, but it is a long one. If you have time constraints take a look at the hike to Ten Lakes. It is a wonderful hike as well, and just not quite as long. Good luck!

Glen Aulin is a 13 mile round trip, downhill going out, uphill coming back. Go to falls below the HSC and it will be longer.

Ten Lakes is 12.6 miles round trip, going over a pass with an awesome view of peaks north of the pass.

Sounds like a wash as to which is harder - I've done both, they feel about the same difficulty - moderately strenuous, with about the same amount of climbing.
October 19, 2011 09:22PM
You should enjoys yourselfs... and revel in the fact that the trail will be free of horses
and probably much of the dookie will have been washed away by the recent storm.
You should have nice weather ... the usual gorgeous Fall Sierra weather...
I wouldn't worry about getting down to even LeConte... just enjoy Tuolumne Falls
and The White Cascade and maybe go up a bit after Conness Crk and peer down
towards Glen Aulin Proper.
Instead of Lembert... consider Pothole Dome ...

Happy bird-day! Enjoy your day!

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 20, 2011 07:31AM
Thanks so much for all the great tips/other ideas on hikes and advice! We are so excited to get down there and that the weather, so far, seems to be holding up!
October 20, 2011 07:59AM
That's where I went for my 50th birthday! Cake and Candlesmiling smiley

(Glen Aulin, that is...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 08:00AM by hikerchick395.
October 20, 2011 04:34PM
This year I did my first day hike to Gaylor Lakes and wondered why I had not done it sooner. This is one of the shortest and most beautiful hikes in the high country. An alternative from going up Gaylor Peak is to go over the small hill between the two Gaylor Lakes to Upper Granite Lake hidden at the base of a mountain bowl. If you are feeling friskie then climb the grassy looking pass up the mountain behind Upper Granite Lake and loop around to the left over a couple of snow fields for a fantastic view down onto the Granite Lakes/ Lower Gaylor Lake valley. This year I spent 8 days in the high country and this one day hike provided some of my best views and photos.
October 20, 2011 04:56PM
Because you didn't go to Loch Tablae....

October 21, 2011 06:42AM
chick-on
Because you didn't go to Loch Tablae....

Unlikely.How the Chick-on travels
October 21, 2011 07:43AM
chick-on
Loch Tablae....

Encompasses both the Eight and Ninth Circles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 07:55AM by szalkowski.
October 21, 2011 08:13AM
Far from it...

It's more like this.

(and when exactly have I led you astray?)

October 22, 2011 06:57PM
chick-on
Far from it...

It's more like this.

(and when exactly have I led you astray?)

So why doth Mikey not share your opinion of Table Lake? You going to tell me he didn't appreciate the nymphs? Or is it that your are the only one who can see them?
October 23, 2011 09:00AM
Earlier I mentioned taking a look at the Ten Lakes hike because it was shorter. I had a brain relapse and meant to say take a look at Catherdral Lakes. Sorry about that. So, if you are pressed for time, Cathedral Lakes is a beautiful hike, and it is about 3-4 miles shorter than the Glenn Aulin hike. It is defintely worth considering if you are not sure if you have the time or are looking for a little bit shorter of a hike. Good luck, it looks like you are going to have perfect weather. Happy 50th!

"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir
October 23, 2011 09:31AM
Thanks to everyone for all the great tips and suggestions! We love all the ideas that everyone has offered, thank you! Not sure what is up with the Table Lake discussion, we are thinking that it's either pure torture to get there or that it's a backcountry brothel? LOL!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes too! My sister is one cool chic!
October 23, 2011 10:35AM
JRo27
Thanks to everyone for all the great tips and suggestions! We love all the ideas that everyone has offered, thank you! Not sure what is up with the Table Lake discussion, we are thinking that it's either pure torture to get there or that it's a backcountry brothel? LOL!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes too! My sister is one cool chic!
Might she be JLo27?

Old Dude
October 24, 2011 12:31PM
JR,

Table Lake is at about 3 days into the wilderness for most of us mortals, depending upon which direction one approaches. It's north of both Pate Valley and the lower end of Rodgers Canyon. Bill-e-g (chick-on) claims it's the most beautiful place in Yosemite and indirectly challenges others to check it out. In August my group of 3 originally had it on our list as a 5-mile round trip side trip but scratched it off our list to cut down our mileage plus the fact we discovered there's apparently very little open ground near the lake. Ever since then we have received occasional digs regarding our failure to vist this lake. His latest and by far the best of these digs was the caricature of a hiker peering into a pond full of naked nymphs. That one had me rolling on the floor.

Anyway, it's not even close to what one would call a day hike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 12:32PM by tomdisco.
November 02, 2011 07:37PM
TomDisco - Thanks for the note above, we got a kick out of the picture and knew there had to be a good story behind it once we saw where it was on the map!

Everything went great on our hikes. We were able to hike to Glen Aulin, which we've deemed "Glen Awesome" and even saw a small bear 30 yards in front of us on the hike from Taft Point to Sentinel Dome! We also hiked Gaylor Lakes and Lambert Dome - all and all the week made us realize how lucky we are to live so close to such an amazing place!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login