Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Late Season Water on Sunrise -> Clouds Rest hike

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Late Season Water on Sunrise -> Clouds Rest hike
October 20, 2011 09:12AM
Planning to do this hike in the next few days. Never done this hike, and trying to plan how much water will be need, and if there are any regular refill spots that won't require any significant detours. I've done Half Dome from the Valley, and carried a gallon up from LYV. Should I plan on similar, or 1/2 gal with refill along the way somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)
October 20, 2011 09:29AM
I did this hike last weekend... Water was not a problem at all. The last water heading towards Clouds Rest was the stream that's roughly halfway between the Sunrise Lakes and Forsyth trail junctions. This is the only significant creek crossing south of the Sunrise Lakes junction. I carried about 1.5L from here to the summit, which was more than enough for me. IMHO, there was no need to carry more than a pint or so between the trailhead and this creek, but everyone has different needs/styles.
avatar Re: Late Season Water on Sunrise -> Clouds Rest hike
October 20, 2011 09:52AM
Drew this map a bit ago... maybe it is of some use.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,32423,32430#msg-32430

The creeklet basil is talking about ALWAYS has water....
Even 1st Sunrise Lake really is not much of a detour and worth visiting on CR hike...

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 20, 2011 05:10PM
That's perfect. Thanks for the map & heads up. Nothing I love more than a stream that always has water. smiling smiley

Gary Crabbe
Enlightened Images

"Nearness to Nature keeps the Spirit sensitive to impressions not commonly felt, and in touch with unseen powers." - Oyihesa; Santee Dakota indian, from his book, Soul of the Indian (1911)
October 21, 2011 08:32AM
Anyone familiar with the stream which has flakes of "gold" which reflect back at you while refilling h20? I reckon it's the last "stream crossing" before reaching Cloud's Rest.
Also, the flakes are not gold. But if anyone's been there recently, you may know the stream...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login