Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road is Open!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 16, 2011 01:12PM
Yosemite National Park Reopens Roads
Date: November 16, 2011

Tioga, Glacier Point, and Mariposa Grove Roads Reopen After Early Season Snowfall

After a temporary closure, the Tioga Road in Yosemite National park reopened to the public at noon today, Wednesday, November 16, 2011. The Tioga Road, the popular east-west crossing of the Sierra Nevada in the northern portion of the park, has been temporarily closed since November 3, 2011 due to an early season snowstorm that dropped almost a foot of snow in the higher elevations.

The Glacier Point Road also reopened to the public. However, due to continued icy conditions on the roadway, approximately the last two miles of the road, from the Sentinel Dome parking area to Glacier Point, will remain closed. If conditions improve, all of the Glacier Point Road will be reopened.

Additionally, the Mariposa Grove Road leading to the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias is open and clear.

All roads within the Yosemite National Park are subject to chain control or temporary closures due to hazardous driving conditions. Tire chains may be required at any time during the fall and winter season. It is strongly recommended that all motorists carry tire chains while driving in the park during the fall and winter months.

For updated 24-hour road and weather conditions for Yosemite National Park, please call 209-372-0200.
November 16, 2011 07:15PM
I'm surprised they reopened it with the forecast. We're driving out to northern Death Valley from San Jose starting Friday night and even with the pass potentially open I think we'll take the south route. Snow + 120 mph gusts do not translate into a fun ride.
November 16, 2011 08:50PM
calipidder
I'm surprised they reopened it with the forecast.

I have to say it surprised me too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login