Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga Road is Open!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

November 25, 2011 02:25PM
SR 120
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[YOSEMITE NAT'L PARK]
FOR YOSEMITE NAT'L PARK ROAD INFORMATION CALL 209-372-0200
November 25, 2011 06:17PM
If we wanted to do either the Cathedral Lakes or Gaylor Lakes hike tomorrow would we need snow shoes or would hiking boots be sufficient?
November 25, 2011 06:27PM
The snow is about 2" deep at Dana Meadows. I don't think snowshoes would be any help.
November 25, 2011 06:42PM
Thank you much, wanted to ask before we made the 2 hours drive. Yosemite here we come! Thanks again!!
November 25, 2011 06:55PM
Could be some ice. Do you have anything to aid traction?

http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B0030I3Y48
November 25, 2011 07:42PM
Good call, looks like we might need to hit REI before heading down!
November 26, 2011 07:43PM
I find yaktrax to be very effective on ice and much less expensive. If you have time, Amazon has the best price around.
November 27, 2011 06:32AM
November 27, 2011 12:25PM
Kahtoola (sp.?) micro spikes are great. Just used them on Mt. Rose in Tahoe. All I needed; glad to have 'em.
November 27, 2011 02:48PM
eeek
hotrod4x5
Amazon has the best price around.

http://www.ske-art.com/stuff/index.php?searchmode=SportingGoods&ss=yaktrax&search=Go
Large, black yaktrax walkers are $14.77 on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Yaktrax-Walker-Traction-Cleats-Snow/dp/B001CZJBKM/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2011 05:34PM by eeek.
November 27, 2011 04:44PM
Thanks for the updates, I haven't had the best of luck with yaktrax in the past, but we are looking into the Kahtoola's. We hit the Cathedral Lakes trail today, it was clear enough to follow but definitely had a decent amount of snow in areas,the Kahtoolas would have helped. Tioga Lake had ice skaters on it, which shocked us but it must have been frozen enough as a dozen or so people were out there!
November 27, 2011 07:15PM
muirman
Tioga Lake had ice skaters on it

No photos?
November 27, 2011 07:28PM
I saw those skaters as well today. Wondered about the ice thickness. Saw a coyote pouncing and hunting in the snow in the Meadows. I love being up there in the off-season. Quiet and peaceful.
avatar Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park to Reopen
November 28, 2011 12:03PM
Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park to Reopen
Date: November 25, 2011

Glacier Point Road Remains Closed for the Season

After a temporary closure, the Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park will reopen to the public at 1:00 p.m. today, Friday, November 25, 2011. The Tioga Road, the popular east-west crossing of the Sierra Nevada in the northern portion of the park, has been temporarily closed due to snow and ice. The Tioga Road can close at any time due to winter weather and hazardous driving conditions. Visitors are urged to drive with caution as there may still be ice and snow along the roadway.

The Glacier Point Road remains closed for the season.

All roads within the Yosemite National Park are subject to chain control or temporary closures due to hazardous driving conditions. Tire chains may be required at any time during the fall and winter season. It is strongly recommended that all motorists carry tire chains while driving in the park during the fall and winter months.

For updated 24-hour road and weather conditions for Yosemite National Park, please call 209-372-0200.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login