Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Snow Creek/Mt. Watkins Trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Snow Creek/Mt. Watkins Trip
November 27, 2011 08:26PM
I hiked from the Valley to Snow Creek Point over the weekend (note: hiking up 2700 ft. the day after Thanksgiving dinner is a problem), then day-hiked to the Snow Creek Cabin and Mt. Watkins. Conditions note: I carried my snow shoes and regretted it, there's obviously very little snow even up high, I didn't bother carrying them up Watkins and the snow was never more than ankle high.

Anyway, I had seen this trip mentioned by Calipidder and figured it'd be really nice during winter, in the other direction (from the Valley) and without the crowds. Friday there was one other party there, Saturday I had it to myself.

Here's a link to some pictures.

A frozen mirror lake on the way:

My campsite:

Sunset on Quarter Domes and Clouds Rest:

And two views from Mt. Watkins, first towards the valley:

then towards Mt. Conness:

A weather note...its warmer up there than in the Valley during the day, but the winter downsloping winds definitely seemed to like that point. I can see why Curry Village is so cold, its in the direct path of that cold air. Both days I started breakfast with a brisk cold wind and ended it with generally calming conditions.
Re: Snow Creek/Mt. Watkins Trip
November 27, 2011 09:12PM
Great photos. Thanks for the trip report. Wish I was there....
avatar Re: Snow Creek/Mt. Watkins Trip
November 28, 2011 01:14PM
Ditto!

(Curry Village is also very cold in the winter because it gets very little (if any) direct sunlight in the early winter months.)
November 28, 2011 06:52PM
Watkins is such a magical place. Fortunately it's still relatively unknown, and that's a positive thing. Did go to the right and see the series of Snow Creek cascades? Thanks for sharing the photos.
avatar Re: Snow Creek/Mt. Watkins Trip
November 28, 2011 07:00PM
You mean from Watkins? No. Crap. Fortunately, I found myself thinking that the trip really required a near-full-moon (the white granite sand at Snow Creek Point easily reflects starlight, moonight would be amazing at that place). So the trip can be re-done w/ the right combination of events.
November 28, 2011 07:23PM
The trek from Olmsted to Watkins is a pleasant one, a good half-day hike. I could spend all day on that mountain. Next time I go back, I need to bring a bottle of wine, sit back and enjoy. It's a place I'd like to go back to at least once every other year. The views of Pywiack Cascade and Tenaya Canyon, especially from the NE buttress, never get old.

You picked a great place to camp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login