All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Genetically modified mosquitoes, anyone?
November 30, 2011 01:57PM
I thought this was interesting:

Genetically Modified Mosquitos

The offspring of this GM mosquito is wingless female who cannot fly (and thus cannot bite), causing a drastic crash in mosquito population. After having to cut short a few Sierra backpacking trips due to ridiculous mosquito situations that I'm sure we have all experienced from time to time, I wouldn't mind seeing these released in the sierras. Besides, what could possibly go wrong? Grinning Devil
avatar Re: Genetically modified mosquitoes, anyone?
November 30, 2011 04:59PM
Something I might test in Calcutta, but really there's no need of that drastic of the measure up in the Sierra. The Sierra mosquito can be easy enough dealt with good insect repellant and proper hiking or backpacking attire. Like it or not, they're part of Yosemite's ecosystem too, no need to remove them from their natural environment.
Re: Genetically modified mosquitoes, anyone?
November 30, 2011 05:27PM
plawrence
The Sierra mosquito can be easy enough dealt with good insect repellant and proper hiking or backpacking attire.

I agree with this statement, but for me personally, the clouds of mosquitoes you can sometimes encounter pretty much ruin a trip -- and as such, I would be perfectly happy if the Sierras had no mosquitoes whatsoever!
Re: Genetically modified mosquitoes, anyone?
November 30, 2011 05:45PM
I'm not convinced this will work.

I don't know much about Calcutta. But why would the idea be considered drastic for Yosemite and not for Calcutta? Aren't mosquitoes part of both's ecosystem and natural enviroment?
November 30, 2011 08:20PM
chicagocwright

I don't know much about Calcutta. But why would the idea be considered drastic for Yosemite and not for Calcutta? Aren't mosquitoes part of both's ecosystem and natural enviroment?

Calcutta is a major (HUGE) urban city in east India, with millions of poor people. People who are most susceptible of dying of Dengue and Yellow Fever caused by mosquito bites. Effective vector control is a vital public health concern for urban areas like Calcutta. The risk/reward tradeoff could be justified in such a place, while being considered an unnecessary risk in a wilderness area like Yosemite.

December 01, 2011 08:33AM
Ecology: A world without mosquitoes (nature.com)

Eradicating any organism would have serious consequences for ecosystems — wouldn't it? Not when it comes to mosquitoes, finds Janet Fang.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login