Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Kicking back at Glacier Point

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Kicking back at Glacier Point
December 13, 2011 07:59PM
So what do some Yosemite tourists do when they have the rare opportunity to drive to Glacier Point in December?

They kick back on Overhang Rock and enjoy the view...

(There were a couple of more parks vistors that went out onto Overhand Rock for photo ops and the view.)
December 14, 2011 05:01AM
I can honestly say that the Overhanging Rock is one of the very few places in Yosemite to which I've never had the desire to go! (but I do secretly envy those of you with little enough fear of heights to go there! winking smiley )
avatar Re: Kicking back at Glacier Point
December 14, 2011 07:03PM
I could barely get myself onto Taft point with the railing! I secretly envy these people too!
December 14, 2011 07:17PM
What railing?

Taft Point.

Me at Taft Point.
December 14, 2011 07:24PM
JRo27
I could barely get myself onto Taft point with the railing! I secretly envy these people too!

I used to have a picture of myself lying on the hanging slab on the top of Half Dome. You probably wouldn't like doing that either.
December 14, 2011 08:09PM
eeek
JRo27

I used to have a picture of myself lying on the hanging slab on the top of Half Dome. You probably wouldn't like doing that either.

I'm not very nervous around edges and high places, but the most I've ever done on that "diving board"" on the top of Half Dome is while scaried half out of my wits crawl to the end of it, point a camera down,and take a picture ( pre digital days so I don't think I have that picture online ).

Then there's crazies like this . . .

More pictures from that trip of Crazies
December 14, 2011 09:13PM
qumqats
eeek
JRo27

I'm not very nervous around edges and high places, but the most I've ever done on that "diving board"" on the top of Half Dome is while scaried half out of my wits crawl to the end of it, point a camera down,and take a picture ( pre digital days so I don't think I have that picture online ).

Then there's crazies like this . . .

More pictures from that trip of Crazies
Technically the rock off the top of Half Dome is called the Visor. The diving board is where Ansel Adams took his famous picture, Monolith. It is to the south west of the dome.
December 14, 2011 10:16PM
This sounds like a repeat of the "Inspiration Point" issue. What's named what?

A quick google seems to indicate that many people consider . . .

This the visor:

This the "diving board": ( note it's in quotes to indicate it's not the official name )

While the location officially named on maps as the Diving Board is this:

BTW: Ansel couldn't have taken Monolith picture from the exact location of the Diving Board:

If you go 300 yards or so closer to HD than Diving Board this is what you see and is near where I think the photo would have been taken:

--

And speaking of sitting down and enjoying the view:

--

lots of pictures of a HD trip if you're interested
On the way to Diving Board and back
Diving Board and area
December 15, 2011 07:06AM
Where is this slab?
December 14, 2011 09:27PM
Here's an alternate view from that half dome slab

December 15, 2011 07:08AM
December 15, 2011 08:29AM
Thanks for all of the photos everyone!

sactown23...if a person actually had that fisheye vision...holy cow, would they be dizzy or what
December 15, 2011 07:51PM
Oh chick-on, you poor thing having to hang on that ledge for your dear life! Someone should have put a safety harness around you! Lol!

These pics are truly amazing!!

Ttilley, maybe I'm using the wrong exact point, but when we hiked out to the fissures/Taft point this summer there was a railing right by the geological survey marker. Maybe this point is referred to as something else? I'm a newbie after all!
December 15, 2011 08:36PM
I don't think you said anything wrong...note the amount of snow in my pictures, it was the only time I've been to Taft Point. If there is a railing (and it makes sense there would be), it was buried.
December 15, 2011 09:17PM
ttilley
I don't think you said anything wrong...note the amount of snow in my pictures, it was the only time I've been to Taft Point. If there is a railing (and it makes sense there would be), it was buried.

On your first photo... the railing is actually behind you-ish right-ish... right on the precipice.
Pretty cool w/that much snow.

Here's the railing from where you took the first photo:

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 15, 2011 09:23PM
Weird! I had assumed that the most prominent point in the area would be 'Taft Point' (where I stood for the second photo). Guess I was wrong.
December 15, 2011 10:30PM
OK, looking at TOPO! again...I think I see. Taft Point is where I thought it was, the trails converge on the point where I took the picture _of_ Taft Point (w/ the buried railing behind me). Or, something like this.
December 15, 2011 09:21PM
These pictures are making the back of my legs twitch. I have a hard time standing on a tall ladder. The last time we were at Taft Pt, I crawled to the edge on my stomach to look over. Part of it is fear of heights and the other is that my knee is unstable even in a knee brace and occasionally gives out so I don't trust it.
December 17, 2011 07:21PM
There were too many regular tourists there for me to do that when I was there around 1 PM today. However, I did have Sentinel Dome to myself for an hour while I ate lunch, enjoyed the view, and hung out. I got there as someone was leaving, and as I left multiple parties showed up.
December 17, 2011 11:18PM
ttilley

There were too many regular tourists there for me to do that when I was there around 1 PM today.

Actually, there were quite a bit of regular tourist at Glacier Point around 3:30 PM last Saturday when I took those photos. It took an initial Chinese-speaking young adult (probably in her 20's) go out there to pose for photos for her friends, and then others, including this French-speaking man (which I took the photos of), started following her lead. (Yup, it just takes one to get people to do daring (or crazy) things like that.)

December 18, 2011 06:56AM
plawrence
So what do some Yosemite tourists do when they have the rare opportunity to drive to Glacier Point in December?

They kick back on Overhang Rock and enjoy the view...

(There were a couple of more parks vistors that went out onto Overhand Rock for photo ops and the view.)

That is the same rock as in this old photo, right? I have actually never seen that rock, where is it in relation to the main overlook viewing area? Looks like if you shoot from the west, you get a lower perspective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2011 06:57AM by hotrod4x5.
December 18, 2011 12:58PM
the rock is to the west of the main area

you have to go over a fence and past a "keep out" sign ( don't remember exact words, basically a NPS liability release, "If you get hurt it's not our fault because you were where you shouldn't have been" )

I think you could also get there by going to the left and low on the slope rather than following the paved trail all the way out to the point.

There's another vista point with railings down there. There used to be ( may still be ) a bunch of antennas pointed down into the valley attached to the railing. There's some coaxial cables coming down from the radio shack on the side of Sentinel Dome. TV stations used to be relayed down so that there was reception in the valley. All the TV antennas in the valley would be pointed at Glacier Point!

One of the best views of the rock is from the upper part of 4-mile trail. The upper part of the trail is on the west slope of the Ledge Trail gully and as it goes north you get some great views of the rock with HD in the background
December 18, 2011 02:06PM
Sum tin like this:

(all the antenna and such was still there 2 yrs ago)
And I'm pretty sure the sign just say "Area Closed, only Chick-on's Allowed"

The view from the rock itself:

And if you've been to Glacier Pt... you've seen the rock... you just didn't realize it...
(go back and see... )

December 18, 2011 03:51PM
chick-on

The view from the rock itself:

Is that the "Old Dude" in the middle of the photo?

December 18, 2011 04:32PM
plawrence
Is that the "Old Dude" in the middle of the photo?
None other

December 18, 2011 01:19PM
Haha, I made a beeline to that the first time I ever went to Glacier Point. I chickened out after climbing up on the backside of the rock in between the two others though.
December 18, 2011 03:23PM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a dog lying down?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login