Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Parking lot near Sentinal dome...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Parking lot near Sentinal dome...
December 18, 2011 07:04AM
Just reading some stuff online and stumbled across the fact that there used to be a parking lot at the end of the (now) service road. Anyone remember parking there as a kid or young adult?
avatar Re: Parking lot near Sentinal dome...
December 18, 2011 07:34AM
You can more or less still park there... it's the quickest way in.
December 18, 2011 07:34AM
Yep. It was a much shorter 'hike' in the old days.
avatar Re: Parking lot near Sentinal dome...
December 18, 2011 11:25AM
hotrod4x5

Just reading some stuff online and stumbled across the fact that there used to be a parking lot at the end of the (now) service road. Anyone remember parking there as a kid or young adult?

If you're referring to the parking lot that used to exist at the foot of Sentinel Dome itself, yes, I remember when I was a wee little kid my father parking our station wagon there for a short scramble up the Dome.

I agree that hiking to Sentinel Dome from the junction of this service road with Glacier Point Road is definitely shorter and quicker (about half the time) than hiking in from the Taft Point/Sentinel Dome Trails roadside pullout, though there is a bit more of an elevation gain hiking in via this route.

December 18, 2011 11:37AM
plawrence
hotrod4x5

If you're referring to the parking lot that used to exist at the foot of Sentinel Dome itself, yes, I remember when I was a wee little kid my father parking our station wagon there for a short scramble up the Dome.

I agree that hiking to Sentinel Dome from the junction of this service road with Glacier Point Road is definitely shorter and quicker (about half the time) than hiking in from the Taft Point/Sentinel Dome Trails roadside pullout, though there is a bit more of an elevation gain hiking in via this route.

Yes, I was talking about the lot right at the dome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login