Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Badger Pass to Dewey Point

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Badger Pass to Dewey Point
December 21, 2011 09:41AM
Anyone been up this way in the last week or so? Any idea of current conditions? I wanted to snowshoe this route last year at this time, but a snowstorm closed Glacier Point Road. Snow seems to be light this year -- is this more suited to hiking boots and Yaxtrax this year?
December 21, 2011 10:51AM
Haven't personally been up there but from what I heard there is not much snow, so bring your hiking boots. Plus the Glacier Pt road is still open so you won't be starting from Badger Pass, unless you would like to hike alongside the road. Depending if you are going Dewey 14 or 18 you will be starting before or after the summit meadow pullout. With the road open I don't think the signs for the trails are up just yet so it maybe a bit tricky to find them. (14 is near the top of the hill and 18 where the meadow 'crosses' the road') Following the trails might also be more difficult as there are no tracks in the snow, because there is no snow, so be prepared to be just hiking in the woods looking for those yellow markers if you are not aware of the route. Without snow there is not much evidence of the trail on the ground. One more thing, with the high wind event a few weeks back, a lot of trees are down along the trail that could complicate route finding and travel in general.
avatar Re: Badger Pass to Dewey Point
December 21, 2011 01:25PM
What buster said. Was all up in der end of November. (hiked up Old GP Road).
Anywho.. there isn't any snow... or so little... that if you are using snowshoes..
you are really trying to. There's less there now than there was then...

I put this set together for a few peeps. Take a look and you can see. I geo-tagged them
so you can follow along ... click on Satellite or under Map - Terrain and you can
get a good idea.

Anywho. I may delete this set at anytime... so enjoy if you like... but don't get jealous.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/albumMap?uname=dale.dekeyser&aid=5681589260354900785&authkey=Gv1sRgCPT7gPnS5cyakgE#map

This is just the portion from BP to Old Inspiration Pt. I have another of Old Wawona if interested..
(using this set though you should get a darn good idea of conditions) (it will be even less snow than this...)

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 21, 2011 04:42PM
It was mighty fine LAST December!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 04:43PM by gimmeslack.
December 21, 2011 05:16PM
Yup, this time last year there was 5 feet at Badger Pass!
January 02, 2012 09:21PM
Was up there last week. Not much snow and where there is snow regular hiking boots are fine, no gaiters needed. As it's been warm(er) and had zero snow since I assume there is even less snow.

Took a photo of the trail (see the markers in the trees)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login