Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Things to do with the family in Feb.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Things to do with the family in Feb.
December 29, 2011 02:40PM
I am staying at Bass Lake over presidents week. While we are there I plan to head up to Yosemite with the family. I was looking for ideas on what to do and where to go. Keep in mind that my daughter is only 7. I had hoped to get to Mariposa Grove, but a two mile walk in snowshoes is not what I'm looking for. We have all been to the valley before, but it was in summer. Any ideas for nice, easy and fun things to do?

BTW, the idea behind this trip is simply to go to the snow.

Thanks.
avatar Re: Things to do with the family in Feb.
December 29, 2011 03:57PM
Hitech

Let's hope there is some by then.
December 29, 2011 05:46PM
At least it is late February!
Re: Things to do with the family in Feb.
December 29, 2011 04:43PM
Even if there is snow the 2 miles to Mariposa Grove is easy to just walk without snowshoes, tho it can get slick in the afternoon.

But yeah, no snow yet. Keep looking at the weather. I may be cancelling snow outings I have on calendar for January at the rate we're going....
December 29, 2011 06:46PM
You could watch the 49ers in the super bowl...
December 30, 2011 08:42AM
oakroscoe
You could watch the 49ers in the super bowl...
I prefer to watch the Packers in the Supa Bowl...
wink

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Things to do with the family in Feb.
December 30, 2011 09:06AM
Go Badgers...Go Packers!
December 30, 2011 09:32AM
btnicholas
Go Badgers...Go Packers!

Paaleeze, this is a family forum!

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 09:58AM by mrcondron.
December 29, 2011 07:22PM
Hitech
I am staying at Bass Lake over presidents week. While we are there I plan to head up to Yosemite with the family. I was looking for ideas on what to do and where to go. Keep in mind that my daughter is only 7. I had hoped to get to Mariposa Grove, but a two mile walk in snowshoes is not what I'm looking for. We have all been to the valley before, but it was in summer. Any ideas for nice, easy and fun things to do?

Thanks.

If there's snow, an outing to Badger Pass is in order. It's a perfect place to learn how to ski if your daughter doesn't already know how. Also it's a good place to learn how to snow shoe with snow shoes rentals available (though it might be cheaper to rent snow shoes elsewhere). Badger Pass also has a snow tubing area too (though a fee is charged for its use (like the rest of the ski area).

In addition, there's a free Snow Play Area at Crane Flat (located near the Crane Flat campground).

Also if you happen to be there during a day with clear skies in the afternoon, you can witness firsthand Yosemite's natural "firefall", Horsetail Fall, in action. Horsetail Fall will light up in spectacular fashion starting about 20 minutes before sunset if there's no clouds to block the sunlight from reaching the waterfall. But viewing it has become very popular in the past ten years, so if you want to find parking nearby the viewpoints for the waterfall, you need to arrive there usually no later than two hours BEFORE sunset, though sometimes the parking spaces fill up even three hours before sunset.

And of course, snow or no snow, there should be ice skating available at Curry Village.

December 30, 2011 08:39AM
There's also a snow play area on your way in... Goat Meadow.
You may have seen it in one of my peekchure sets (I put stuff like that in there to
maybe get peeps to say 'hey... wutt dat?'... but it turns out not that many
actually look at the sets) (ok, maybe there too many sets)

Anywho, how about Ice Skating at Curry?

Def. try to see the Firefall if you're there at that timeframe.

I think people forget that we had about a month from about Mid-Jan to Mid-Feb
where it didn't snow at all... so I wouldn't get too hung up yet with the snow situation...
At least that is my recollection... I know we got smacked in March... so much that
I was going stir crazy by April.

Have fun...

January 03, 2012 01:29PM
Thanks for the ideas. I will look into all of them. Now, if I can just find chick-on's Goat Meadow's pictures...
January 03, 2012 09:35PM
Hitech
Thanks for the ideas. I will look into all of them. Now, if I can just find chick-on's Goat Meadow's pictures...

It wasn't too exciting... it was just a picture of a sign... I've never played around in Goat Meadow...
Just went searching for a boundary marker for the Big Trees Grant. But... I took pictures of
the info signs which provide some interesting options that I will pursue at some point or another...
(another way into Mariposa Grove... and a route up Mt. Raymond)... if... we ever get any snow!

I can't find the info on the national forest site... so here are the pictures... you can zoom in and read them
if needs be...
https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/EveryoneLovesTwinkies_No?authkey=Gv1sRgCJri4s-cxo7JuQE#5693644159442135426

https://picasaweb.google.com/103089501068510688008/EveryoneLovesTwinkies_No?authkey=Gv1sRgCJri4s-cxo7JuQE#5693644060334329810

The second one is particularly amusing to me... The Emergency Kit Checklist:
- A survival manual is a must!
First page of manual:
- Read manual before leaving home

Have fun ... hope some snow falls soooooooooooon!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login