Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Upper Yosemite Falls Ice Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Upper Yosemite Falls Ice Dome
January 02, 2012 08:59AM
Here are some pics from a hike up to and behind Upper Yosemite Falls. Enjoy.

BigD Picasa

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 10:26AM by bigd.
January 02, 2012 09:07AM
Beautiful pix...especially the up close ones...looks alternately like some kind of Northern Lights phenomenon and like a super-fine geyser eruption...waterfall is one of the last things I'd think in these shots if I hadn't been clued in. Really well done (well, I guess some credit goes to Yosemite! winking smiley )
January 02, 2012 09:30AM
Yes Yosemite gets all the credit.

Question: How to get the pics to be bigger in the forum? They're so small. Almost like thumbnails.
January 02, 2012 09:54AM
Yeah, that one used to bite me a lot, too. When you're on the Picasa page, click on "Link to this Photo" (over on the right). A few choices will open beneath that phrase. Make sure you set image size to Large and select "Image Only" on the right side of the page. Then cut and paste the link in the "Embed Link" box. Haven't done that in a while but according to the little crib-sheet postit note on my computer monitor, that should do it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 09:57AM by DavidK42.
January 02, 2012 10:24AM
Got it. Thanks.
January 02, 2012 08:11PM
Wow - fantastic images. Thanks for sharing them.
January 02, 2012 09:18PM
Great photos. Reminds me of the John Muir story of him climbing the Ice Cone (he describes it as 'the cone of ice'). Now that would be an adventure!
avatar Re: Upper Yosemite Falls Ice Dome
January 02, 2012 09:28PM
Some fantastic photos you have there! Thanks for sharing them.
avatar Re: Upper Yosemite Falls Ice Dome
January 03, 2012 07:20AM
Awe-sum!

Tanks for Sharon

(I'm jealous)

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 03, 2012 09:44AM
Glad everyone liked the pictures. I hadn't planned on going behind the falls, it just sort of happened....but everything ***seemed safe***...no ice on the cliffs because the weahter was warm, water flow was low, and no wind to change the water fall and get me soaked. However, there appeared to be fresh rock fall everywhere. And by rockfall, I mean huge car sized pieces. There were some craters in the ground that were 2-3 feet across and 2-3 inches deep that looked like a bomb had gone off. I enjoyed the area and really want to go back, but I felt a little uneasy, like I shouldn't be there for too long.

Chickon: Don't be jealous of me. I'm jealous of you. You get out way more than I do. But thanks to your trip reports, my time spent under the perpetual fluorescent sunset is made more bearable.
January 03, 2012 12:26PM
Yup, that spot is beautiful any time of the year. You were right to feel a little uneasy.

"like a bomb had gone off" just about covers what happens from time to time! I was there again over the holidays but admired the view from a little farther back. ; )

Cheers~

bigd
Glad everyone liked the pictures. I hadn't planned on going behind the falls, it just sort of happened....but everything ***seemed safe***...no ice on the cliffs because the weahter was warm, water flow was low, and no wind to change the water fall and get me soaked. However, there appeared to be fresh rock fall everywhere. And by rockfall, I mean huge car sized pieces. There were some craters in the ground that were 2-3 feet across and 2-3 inches deep that looked like a bomb had gone off. I enjoyed the area and really want to go back, but I felt a little uneasy, like I shouldn't be there for too long...
January 03, 2012 01:18PM
These pics really are fantastic. Obviously you had a fun, memorable trip. Thanks!

edit: did you catch a glimpse from the OMG railing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 01:46PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
January 03, 2012 05:32PM
Yep...first picture is from the OMG railing.
January 03, 2012 08:40PM
awesome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login