Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Mt. Dana/Conness snow conditions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mt. Dana/Conness snow conditions
January 03, 2012 11:56PM
I'm thinking about hiking to the top of Dana and/or Conness and wonder if anyone knows the current conditions regarding snow, i.e. how much is there, will I need crampons etc. Thanks.
avatar Re: Mt. Dana/Conness snow conditions
January 04, 2012 05:00AM
rob
I'm thinking about hiking to the top of Dana and/or Conness and wonder if anyone knows the current conditions regarding snow, i.e. how much is there, will I need crampons etc. Thanks.

Snow = not much
January 04, 2012 06:15AM
It's getting almost ridiculous how little snow there is.

Here's Hoffmann and Conness on New Years Day. (sorry, this is the best I can do)

While contemplating life I was scheming how to work in skating Youngs and climbing Conness...

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 04, 2012 06:18AM
OK, you can look here too:
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/20497/Mt_Dana_and_Lake_Tenaya_Ice#Post20497

After reading that I hope to heck that we don't get a surprise storm and
catch some unsuspecting fools off guard and totally unprepared.

Have fun

Now back to my scheming... (where the heck is that Old Fart???) (wouldn't mind skating Echo Lake either) (hmm....)

One other thing: from that same location (Inspiration Ridge)... you can see Ritter. No Snow.. Dang
The north facing slopes will have some... but little to worry about imo. If dayhiking... why not take Crampons or spikies?
(ok, I carry the darn spikies soo many times... use them very very infrequently)

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 06:21AM by chick-on.
January 06, 2012 12:57PM
I was thinking about a Conness/Dana double this weekend but then a friend suggested going for a 14er. Therefore I will be heading out to White Mountain this weekend. If we're not gonna have snow, I'm going to take advantage of the dry conditions and bag a 14er in winter!

ETA: A friend hiked the peak on Christmas and said the trail and road is mostly clear (4x4 recommended for the road but it's not bad).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2012 12:58PM by calipidder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login