Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Glacier Point today

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Glacier Point today
January 08, 2012 09:44PM
I came across another thread saying it closed for the season in November. There was no snow on the road today and it was open without restrictions. No ice anywhere and the temperature at 7800 feet was around 50F. It was thoroughly pleasant.

I saw speculation about a trough coming through and closing everything down but the ten day forecast shows no precipitation.

Other than some thin snow under trees and in isolated meadows there was no sign of winter. No snow on the mountains either. At this rate there going to be no point closing anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 09:46PM by cageordie.
January 08, 2012 11:28PM
Wow, is it still early autumn or summer...I'm definitely going in the coming days.

Of course on the day I go, the weather will change. And I'll end up struggling with chains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 11:45PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
January 09, 2012 06:31AM
There's little snow... but if you hike on North Facing slopes then you may get
smacked a bit more than you expect. The snow around the Cathedral Lakes
and Elizabeth Lake... is a good example ... right now... it's crustified on the
top... and when it's like that... it can be incredibly tiring. Def. the worst snow
conditions to hike in.
JRo27 mentioned Elizabeth here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,49696,49934#msg-49934

And here's the north country on Saturday:

Look the other way... and there is snow ...
(the trail itself was completely stomped though... and covered in needles and cones... so no spikies required)

Probably some are climbing Hoffman:

And some clowns just want to skate around:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,50166

Have fun out der
(and Tank me for Sharon)

Chick-on is looking at you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2012 06:32AM by chick-on.
January 09, 2012 10:57AM
cageordie
I came across another thread saying it closed for the season in November. There was no snow on the road today and it was open without restrictions. No ice anywhere and the temperature at 7800 feet was around 50F. It was thoroughly pleasant.

I saw speculation about a trough coming through and closing everything down but the ten day forecast shows no precipitation.

Other than some thin snow under trees and in isolated meadows there was no sign of winter. No snow on the mountains either. At this rate there going to be no point closing anything.

Chick-on would say, "Whea al da peoples?"
January 09, 2012 03:00PM
tomdisco

Chick-on would say, "Whea al da peoples?"

We saw one road crew a coach and maybe 60 cars in the time we were on the road. I am not complaining. It shouldn't be possible but since it is it's a great time to visit.

Forget the falls and rivers though, this is along side El Portal Road near the park entrance. It was all sort of surreal and disturbing really, like winter hasn't happened.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login