Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (89% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Ostrander Hut 2012

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Ostrander Hut 2012
January 09, 2012 11:41AM
So far... no snow. Can anyone suggest some day hikes out of Ostrander lake? Buena Vista? Hart lakes? Looks like my backcountry ski dreams will be on hold until later in the season, or next year.

Sent via e-mail on January 9, 2012

Update for Ostrander Ski Hut visitors:

Due to lack of snow, the Badger Pass ski area and Ranger Station is currently closed, and the Ostrander Ski Hut’s opening date has been delayed until Monday, December 26, 2011. The Glacier Point Road is open, but overnight parking is not allowed. Because of this unique set of circumstances, access to the hut will be different than in previous years. For compliance and safety reasons, the following protocol has been set:

1. Every car must carry snow chains/cables. This includes 4wd and AWD vehicles.

2. Visitors are required to self register for a wilderness permit at the Badger Pass Ranger Station (A-Frame) before traveling to Ostrander Ski Hut. There may be a barricade stating that Badger Pass Ski area is closed. You may drive around that barricade in order to get the wilderness permit. This is an exception only for those visitors who have reservations at the Ostrander Ski Hut. The permits are free and available 24-hours per day. When filling out the permit please include the vehicle license plate number, along with make and model. The permit has 3 copies. Leave the original white copy at the A-Frame, take the green copy with you to the Hut, and leave the pink copy on the dashboard of your car. The Badger Pass A-Frame will not be staffed. Maps or trail conditions will not be available.

3. Visitors must park at the summer Ostrander Lake trailhead parking area located approximately 4 miles east of Badger Pass along the Glacier Point road. You may park there regardless of the “No overnight parking” signs along the road. This is an exception only for those visitors who have reservations at the Ostrander Ski Hut. The hike from the trailhead parking lot is 6.4 miles with total elevation gain of 1,720ft one-way. Note: This route is shorter and gains less elevation than the ski trail from Badger Pass Ski Area.

Trail Conditions: Currently there is not enough snow to ski or snowshoe into the Hut. Patchy snow and icy conditions can exist anywhere along the trail and around the hut. Downed trees and other debris may obstruct the trail in some areas. Use caution and be prepared for winter conditions. Please check current weather conditions before your trip. Current Weather Conditions

Please Note: If there is a storm forecasted within two days, the hut will close and visitors will be asked to hike back to their vehicles. This is to ensure that vehicles are not stranded in the no-plow zone. If you are asked to leave the hut, you will be refunded for any unused nights.

We encourage you to print out this email so you have the information with you.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have additional questions or would like to reschedule your trip to Ostrander Ski Hut please call, 209.379.5161.

Thank you,

Ostrander Ski Hut Reservations
PO Box 545 Yosemite CA 95389
Phone: 209.379.5161
Fax: 209.372.0739
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM PT
Ostrander@yosemiteconservancy.org
January 09, 2012 01:58PM
You should be making some delicious lemonaide!

Yeah, I get you wanted to do some skiing... but to be able to park at the Ost. TH and
have a relatively easy hike in and then have a nice frozen lake...
Heck, I contemplated hiking up to Ostrander from Chinquapin just to see Ostrander and
skate on it!!!

I think you nailed it already... hike around and enjoy the views and maybe bring your
ice stakes and enjoy a hike up to Buena Vista and the gorgeous weather..

Have fun

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 09, 2012 05:41PM
Interesting, thanks for posting. I certainly hope I don't need this information/receive this email next month when my reservation is (due to snow finally arriving), and I was hoping they were handling this in a way that allowed non-reservees to park overnight as well, but...

I certainly plan to go when my reservation arrives even if we don't get snow, but hopefully this won't be the case. I'd day hike towards Buena Vista Lake, etc., I've camped at Edson but not visited Hart so might go there, lots of good stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login