All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

late January trip
January 09, 2012 06:43PM
Planning a short back packing trip for the end of the January. About 30 miles over 4 days/3 nights. Weve got a few options planned that start along tioga road or glacier point road and end in the valley, assuming the roads are open also assuming you cant park over night on those roads which is why we are trying to end up in the valley. Cant find to many appealing routes that start in the valley and end there in case the roads are closed and looking for suggestions.
January 09, 2012 09:32PM
ryanmj

Planning a short back packing trip for the end of the January. About 30 miles over 4 days/3 nights. Weve got a few options planned that start along tioga road or glacier point road and end in the valley, assuming the roads are open also assuming you cant park over night on those roads which is why we are trying to end up in the valley. Cant find to many appealing routes that start in the valley and end there in case the roads are closed and looking for suggestions.

If I was a betting man, I would think that there's only a 1% chance that either Glacier Point Road or Tioga Road will remain open until the end of January. That would be a record for the ages. And regardless how dry it looks now, I'm quite confident that those two roads will be closed by then.

OTOH, the Park Service keeps Hetch Hetchy Road open through the winter – though limited hours (8AM to 5PM). I would suggest planning a backpacking trip that starts out of Hetch Hetchy.

January 09, 2012 09:51PM
You should assume that there will be snow by then and you cannot start at Tioga or GP road.
Not sure what is not appealing about starting in the Valley?
Also, do you have snowshoes? You'll hopefully need them by then.
If you have fixed dates ... then you should plan stay home if there is a storm rolling in.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: late January trip
January 10, 2012 03:36PM
Yea if there is a big storm or to much snow on the ground we will plan on going somewhere else, renting snow shoes is an option. We dont have a real big problem with starting in the valley except that weve stayed there so much weve hiked almost everything there is starting from there and are looking for something new. Guess it would all be new to us covered in snow.. Ive been looking into a loop from badger pass, im assuming the road is always open to it?
January 10, 2012 04:16PM
Uh... unfortunately if Badger Pass is no open... you cannot park overnight there either.

Hetch Hetchy to Rancheria Falls is a trip that can be done year-round.
Perhaps give Chilnualna a go?

January 10, 2012 04:42PM
chick-on
Uh... unfortunately if Badger Pass is no open... you cannot park overnight there either.

Hetch Hetchy to Rancheria Falls is a trip that can be done year-round.
Perhaps give Chilnualna a go?

yea were open to any suggestions ill look into those two, could be anywhere in the sierras preferably yosemite or south of. I know we cant be too picky but we prefer a loop rather than out and back.
January 11, 2012 07:41AM
I hear that all the time... my typical response is...
Unless you hike backwards on the way out... you'll c things differently...

Anywho... you could do the Vernon loop... IF NO SNOW FALLS b/t now and then

And the roads to Ansel, etc. may still be open (I haven't looked into it)
(and not sure why no one else responds to you or mtc)
(I guess my advice is sooooo spectacular that nothing else need be said)
Dancing GIrl
and
Rolling on floor laugh Rolling on floor laugh Rolling on floor laugh

Half Fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 07:42AM by chick-on.
January 11, 2012 11:58AM
chick-on

(and not sure why no one else responds to you or mtc)

Maybe if he replies back to others, more would respond.

(Note that I was the first to post a reply to his query.)
January 11, 2012 01:20PM
Sorry, I did not mean to call you no one.
And I'll refrain from explaining exactly what I meant to avoid me being a bigger poopyhead.

January 11, 2012 03:38PM
chickon, what % chance that either Glacier Point Road or Tioga Road will remain open until the end of January?
January 11, 2012 03:41PM
last post was a joke. first reply was to both of you guys, thanks for the suggestions. Were looking into Hetch Hetchy , seems like the safest bet
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login