Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Speculation on winter...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Speculation on winter...
January 12, 2012 07:58AM
The entire country is experiencing a mild, late winter. Rain in PA instead of snow, no snow to speak of in Chicago, Minneapolis and lots of other places that usually have feet of snow by now.

We are half way through January. What are the odds of it staying like this till Spring? Impossible?

Good article with info on how the mild temps are saving cities money. http://www.semissourian.com/story/1803643.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 08:01AM by hotrod4x5.
avatar Re: Speculation on winter...
January 12, 2012 08:01AM
Does it really matter?

It's all over on 12/12/12

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Speculation on winter...
January 12, 2012 08:04AM
chick-on
Does it really matter?

I thought it was 12/21/12
January 12, 2012 08:16AM
hotrod4x5
chick-on
Does it really matter?

I thought it was 12/21/12

Heck if I know...

If not... I know who to blame... uh hum:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,50264

January 12, 2012 08:18AM
Shouldnt you be getting some work done?
January 12, 2012 08:26AM
oakroscoe
Shouldnt you be getting some work done?

Don't I get paid for this? And I'm taking tomorrow off to go do some more Skating...
So I'm in coast mode today....

tongue sticking out smiley

January 13, 2012 08:22PM
chick-on
And I'm taking tomorrow off to go do some more Skating...

NPS put signs up at Tenya Lake about that.
January 12, 2012 08:06AM
Sure it does. Getting to the high country with no snow in early May is awesome. Having no water in late June sucks...
January 12, 2012 05:49PM
And NO MOSQUITOS for most of the summer...
January 12, 2012 08:43PM
chick-on
Does it really matter?

But you're going to need that full-blown winter homefield advantage when the Saints roll into town in the NFC title game.
January 15, 2012 07:40AM
mbear
But you're going to need that full-blown winter homefield advantage when the Saints roll into town in the NFC title game.

Say whut?

Old Dude
January 15, 2012 08:18AM
mrcondron
mbear

Say whut?

LOL, I never would have guessed they'd turn the ball over 5 times. That's gotta be the most exciting game I have seen since 18-1.
January 15, 2012 08:42AM
mbear
mrcondron
mbear

Say whut?

LOL, I never would have guessed they'd turn the ball over 5 times. That's gotta be the most exciting game I have seen since 18-1.
Bill-e-g and I went up to Sunrise Lakes Friday and returned Saturday evening so I had recorded the game to watch it upon our return. Not wanting to know the results we kept our eyes down and our ears shut during the trip back to Manteca. We had just finished putting gas in Bill-e-g's car in Oakdale when some guy in another area of the gas station shouts "THE 49ERS WON!!! THE 49ERS WON!!!". A bit of a bummer to know the outcome but still an exciting game.
I don't know how I would have handled it not know the outcome beforehand. Bill-e-g now has to deal with his worst nightmare; facing the 49ers in the NFCC game. (If they get past the Giants)

Old Dude

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 04:55PM by mrcondron.
January 16, 2012 07:29AM
mrcondron

Bill-e-g and I went up to Sunrise Lakes Friday and returned Saturday evening so I had recorded the game to watch it upon our return. Not wanting to know the results we kept our eyes down and our ears shut during the trip back to Manteca. We had just finished putting gas in Bill-e-g's car in Oakdale when some guy in another area of the gas station shouts "THE 49ERS WON!!! THE 49ERS WON!!!". A bit of a bummer to know the outcome but still an exciting game.
I don't know how I would have handled it not know the outcome beforehand. Bill-e-g now has to deal with his worst nightmare; facing the 49ers in the NFCC game. (If they get past the Giants)

I've been there before. I DVR the game and won't listen to anything but a CD or pandora on my iphone through the car stereo. I usually make sure I have a full tank of gas in the truck so I don't have to stop and see a newspaper. I remember back in June of 09 I had gone up into the Jack Main when the Lakers were in the finals. I missed the last 2 games, but I had DVRed them. I didn't even turn my phone on to call anyone before I watched both games.

And old dude, I assure you, watching that game was like having a heart attack, aging 20 years and then getting told that its all okay and don't worry about what happened. It was a scream at the TV in rage and then scream in ecstacy in a few minutes later.

NY is going to be a tough game. Tix go on sale for non-season ticket holders wednesday at 1pm.
January 16, 2012 09:26AM
mrcondron

Wow, both my picks for the NFC title game were wrong, haha. Yeah, I hate hearing the results before I watch a game. I had to work the night of game 2 of the 2005 Western Conference Finals between the Spurs and Suns, so I recorded the game and fought like hell the urge to go and check on the score every 2 minutes. So as I'm walking to the parking lot a co-worker who knows I am a huge Spurs fan (living in LA at the time and not many Spurs fans there) tells me "Ginobili went nuts in the fourth!" and I was thus happy and pissed at the same time.

The NFC playoffs have been outstanding; I don't know who to pick to win the super bowl anymore, as I had New Orleans and Green Bay was my backup LOL.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 09:29AM by mbear.
January 16, 2012 10:43AM
Looks like the snow is coming to Yosemite at the end of the week. I have talked to people that have lived there since the 60's and they said that when they have not gotten snow by January then it makes up for it in Feb and March. Good thing that we went to Tenaya Lake when we were there in Dec because it will probably be snowed in when we go in Feb.
January 16, 2012 07:17AM
mbear
chick-on
Does it really matter?

Who dat?

Noone has it better than us!

Go NINERS!!!!!!
January 19, 2012 05:36PM
oakroscoe
mbear
chick-on
Does it really matter?

Who dat?

Go NINERS!!!!!!

This NFC discussion is mute. Patriots all the way again.
January 22, 2012 08:43PM
oakroscoe
mbear
chick-on
Does it really matter?

Who dat?

Go NINERS!!!!!!

And the Niners remain undefeated five time Super Bowl Champions!!

Old Dude
January 23, 2012 03:26PM
That was something like 20 years ago... so using the logic of most people I work with...
You have zero Supa Bowl Wins.

Then again, do you even remember?

January 23, 2012 04:16PM
chick-on

That was something like 20 years ago... so using the logic of most people I work with...
You have zero Supa Bowl Wins.

Then again, do you even remember?

So were you rooting for the 49ers to win yesterday, so they could lose in two weeks to the Patriots?
January 12, 2012 08:12AM
I'm hoping for something! I brought my parents to Yosemite from Texas a few years ago for the first time in October. Had a blast, hiked Clouds Rest from Tenaya, minimal crowds, etc but I could tell my mom was disappointed at the fact the waterfalls were dried up (even though I had warned her that this is normal for late fall). I've made arrangements to bring them back this May when the waterfalls should be bombing, but now I'm starting to get a little worried. It sure won't look like the pictures I've showed them from May '05 when there were sandbags lining the roads in the Valley due to flooding and the lower Yosemite Falls bridge was almost impassable!
January 23, 2012 04:05PM
Any time in May is a great time to come and see the waterfalls. Even in low snow years the water rages through the valley in spring. Some years are better than others, but if you are comparing to your only experience in October, trust me, you and your parents will be impressed.

"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login