Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Mariuolumne Dome

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mariuolumne Dome
January 16, 2012 09:41PM
With the three-day weekend and still no snow in the Sierra, we made tracks for Yosemite for one last adventure before the snows come.

So Sunday found us in Tuolumne Meadows in bright sunshine and temperatures that were just about freezing. We parked at the Pothole Dome parking lot and strapped on a day pack. The route was a cross country trek to Mariuolumne Dome and, with luck, up to the top of the dome. The silly name comes from the fact that the top of this dome lies exactly on the border between Mariposa and Tuolumne counties.

hoo boy.

The first half mile was up a cold and snowy slope to intersect the John Muir Trail to Cathedral Lakes. That worked perfectly, and the snow was so cold and dry that even though we were crunching through about six inches, our feet never got even slighty damp. Once on the JMT, we hiked for about a mile until that trail began to turn more southerly---at which point we broke off and headed due West towards that big white granite blob in front of us. Here the sun had melted those early snows away, and much of the route was on bare ground.

Mariuolumne Dome is one of a whole family of huge granite domes in this area, and after only a few minutes, we found ourselves at the southern end of the dome right at treeline. These domes are famous for rock climbing routes, but we were hoping to walk up the more gently sloping southern spine of Mariuolumne.

That spine also turned out to be windline!

Because while we were in the forest, the icy wind that had sprung up didn't seem too bad. But once we were out on the exposed granite spine of the dome, it was blowing like crazy. In fact, it was blowing so hard that we decided to call off our attempt to sneak up to the top of the dome. It was steep, and would have taken considerable concentration to climb--particulary since we didn't have any ropes.

That's the view from the ridge, looking west at Mt. Hoffman.

Our rule is that we will climb almost anything as long as we don't need our hands to get up. That way we are pretty sure we'll also be able to get down. And that was true of Mariuolume Dome--except that the wind was blowing so hard that we didn't even try to get all the way up. We stopped part-way up the ridge, snapped a couple of photos, and carefully worked our way back down.

The dome will be there next time. And we have all of our fingers and toes. And our noses, which were positively frozen.

The trail back down was yet another adventure, as much of the trail had turned to very slick ice. First M slipped and fell, and then P did the same. By the time we left the JMT we had a total of seven pratfalls between the two of us. Luckily, no real damage to anything except our pride.

Once back at the car, we walked over to Pothole Dome and walked up onto the top of it instead. The wind was fierce here too, but the exposure was a bit easier, and we snapped more photos, llike the one below of Unicorn Peak from Pothole Dome. Done for the day, wewandered back to the car, turned on the heater full blast, and starting driving for home.

And the good news is that it looks as if the snows will come, indeed, later this week.

We do need the water!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
January 16, 2012 10:05PM
Thank you for this report. I'm living vicariously!
January 16, 2012 10:09PM
Uh... uh... sorry to tell you this... but you tried going up Fairview.
Your picture there... that's Fairview... and on the left... Mariuolumne and Drug...
and on the right-ish is Lamb.

Here's Mariuolumne from 2 weekends ago:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,48319,50147#msg-50147

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 17, 2012 06:03PM
chick-on
Uh... uh... sorry to tell you this... but you tried going up Fairview.
Your picture there... that's Fairview... and on the left... Mariuolumne and Drug...
and on the right-ish is Lamb.

Here's Mariuolumne from 2 weekends ago:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,48319,50147#msg-50147

HA! Of course you're right bill...as usual. thanks

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
January 17, 2012 04:52AM
balzaccom
... The silly name comes from the fact that the top of this dome lies exactly on the border between Mariposa and Tuolumne counties.

How is it pronounced?

Other similar "combo names"
Lake Koocanusa is reservoir formed by damming the Kootenai River which drains into Canada from the USA.

Monida Pass between Idaho and Montana.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 17, 2012 06:32AM
Since I like giving people a hard time...

It's pretty simple Franky... It's pronounced FAIR VIEW.

Seriously... If it's not Tuolumne minus the TOO and adding MARE EH...
then I've been saying it wrong for awhile now.
(wouldn't be the first time).

Here's the real MARE EH YOU OL EH ME:

and

I think I put this one somewhere already (actually, I think I may have posted the first one too) ... but here it is again:
Lamb, Daff, and Drug Dome (Drug has the Ice flow) (and Lamb is in his picture above)

And yes, you can see Half Dome from Mariuolumne... but not as much of Tuolumne Meadows as from Fairview.
From Fairview Mariuolumne blocks Half Dome.

Half Dome a nice day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2012 06:34AM by chick-on.
January 18, 2012 12:59AM
chick-on

Here's the real MARE EH YOU OL EH ME

I pronounce it slightly differently by Americanizing the "Mari" portion of it so it sounds like Mary–you–ole–me.
January 18, 2012 06:20AM
chick-on

Here's the real MARE EH YOU OL EH ME:
But the "tu" is not removed, just the "t".
It is a strange portmanteau due to the three sequential vowels.
mar ee all lem me (seems easier to pronounce)
or
mar ee you all lem me

One more California place name pronunciation obstacle to overcome.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
January 17, 2012 07:31AM
balzaccom
So Sunday found us in Tuolumne Meadows in bright sunshine and temperatures that were just about freezing...

...the wind was blowing so hard that we didn't even try to get all the way up. We stopped part-way up the ridge, snapped a couple of photos, and carefully worked our way back down...

... Once back at the car, we walked over to Pothole Dome and walked up onto the top of it instead. The wind was fierce here too, but the exposure was a bit easier, and we snapped more photos, like the one below of Unicorn Peak from Pothole Dome. Done for the day, wewandered back to the car, turned on the heater full blast, and starting driving for home.

You were unlucky. Two days earlier, on Friday, we were up in Tuolumne for a half day of hiking before our drive back to San Jose. Calm winds, sunny. shirt sleeve weather. We went up Pothole Dome, then around the curving ridge of granite domes to Daff Dome. We went over each bump, stopping finally just sort of the summit block at the south end (which isn't really hike-able.)

Here are a couple of views from one of the intermediate domes of Daff.

P is Pothole Dome, U is one of the unnamed domes that you do along the way. Looking in the other direction,

X is the true (south) summit of Daff Dome, Y is the turnaround spot, and O is hiking buddy forging on ahead....

We then retraced our route. Perfect weather, beautiful day. From the highway, over Pohole Dome to the end, we never saw a soul. But that was hardly surprising: On the Phono Trail on Wednesday we saw no one. Ditto with the OBOF and Fireplace Bluff hike on Thursday. The park was a giant playground that week, and except for next to the highways, it was all ours.
January 17, 2012 12:46PM
The "unnamed domes" between Pothole and Daff are the Cottage Domes, and Daff is the Dome Across From Fairview.

The quickest way up Fairview is via the climbers trail directly from the road, skirt around the base to the right and up its backside.

The quickest easy route to Medlicott and Mariuolumne is via the Cathedral Lakes fisherman's trail. It winds to the right of Medlicott and heads to the outlet of Lower Cathedral.

I find all these hikes (and Budd Creek) a lot more fun and scenic than the standard Cathedral Lakes trail.
January 17, 2012 01:04PM
Yeah, you're right. His photos are taken from West Cottage. And his buddy is on East Cottage.
Take a look at the link below of closedcontour.com (Maps)... the guy who owns that was nice
enough to put in these named domes on his map.

January 17, 2012 10:51AM
Were the winds starting up in the morning up there? It didn't get windy in Kendrick Creek canyon until afternoon, but in the morning I was seeing a wave cloud near the head of the canyon.
January 18, 2012 09:04AM
It was so windy yesterday at Ellery Lake, I had to struggle to get the door of the truck open. (Took my video from inside!) Dirt was blowing at the south end of Tioga Lake. I almost ditched my plans to hike, but I got up to Lambie-Pie. Very windy right on top (had to brace myself taking photos) but otherwise OK...breezy with a few gusts.

I almost postponed til today (it was 11* here yesterday morning) but I knew it would be even windier today. Glad I didn't wait.

BTW...I really stumbled with "Mary (L)ou All Oh Me" while narrating my video...ha...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2012 09:09AM by hikerchick395.
January 18, 2012 10:13AM
I keep clicking but the video no show...

January 18, 2012 03:09PM
Chick-on--Have you been up to the top of Fairview?

January 18, 2012 03:43PM
Ha...I never get to see my own video...different camera. Right now I am ten years behind recording tapes to DVD's. (Those are analog until 2008.) That's when I finally view my video...some acceptions, though...I'll playback some in the camera like the baby bears in Yosemite and whales in Alaska. My husband's camera is more instant gratification...movies are recorded to his SD card and are mixed in with the stills. But he doesn't accompany me all that often.

Maybe I'll find a short cut in my process, then I'll have to sign up for you tube. Am working on a time exposure at Big Pine Lake #1.

I spend all of my time getting the photos and footage...don't have enough time to view or play back both...

Yes...chick-on...have you been up Fairview? Is there a non tech route at all? I think that I'm turning into a dome addict.
January 18, 2012 05:28PM
Can't speak for the chick-on, but I've been up Fairview. It's a neat little hike, the top is maybe an hour from the road.

I stitched together the Approach and Descent on page 98 here:
http://www.supertopo.com/topos/yosemite/tfc_fairview.pdf

Hike up to the base of the top photo, follow the climbers trail around to the right, cross some gentle slabs, then roughly up the horizon of the bottom photo. When you are on the south side, don't go too far east, you will get cliffed out there.

It's no biggie if you are comfortable with friction, you might use a hand or two here or there. Coming down can be a little harder on your toes, and you might need to downclimb a spot or two. But the angle isn't too scary and the views are quite fair indeed. I may have some photos or a GPS map but it's pretty straightforward.

If you are uncertain of your friction skills, a good test is Lembert Dome. From the apron, follow the trees which angle up and to the east above the road. At the last bunch of trees, pull a switchback and angle back to the top of the dome. There's a handy little descent trail which runs down directly under the east side of the dome, dumps you on the road by the Wilderness Center, saves time and toes. Or you can work on your friction on the varied slopes of Pothole Dome.
January 18, 2012 09:53PM
Kudos man!

On the Cathedral Trail you get a glimpse of Fairview:

That book is fabulous. Even for non climbers it's a great resource.

January 18, 2012 04:11PM

Here's a pic from yesterday...
January 18, 2012 09:45PM
You on da Lamb! Sweet!

In answer to the question... no, I have not been up Fairview Dome.
I'll definitely do it this year though after the road re-opens (or even before in spring).
It was never really in my sights to do even. I had a "Dome Tour" planned
last year and ended up doing two of the four I really wanted to do.
I talked about those here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,44746

And also the stuff much further away from the road and old trails has a bigger draw
in my noggin.... such as the Falls Ridge trip (I'll spare you the link).

Anyway, I'm with you on what it appears is a quest to get up all of dem der domes
in the TM area.

High on my other dome list is to complete Falls Ridge traverse and the other
two big domes.... Mt. Starr King summit and Charlotte Dome.

Have fun

Balloon Dome is much steeper than Fairview... so looks fairly simple...
Looks can be deceiving though....

January 20, 2012 06:30AM
Uh... uh.... so I finally actually looked at a map... and uh...
well... this statement

balzaguy
The silly name comes from the fact that the top of this dome lies exactly on the border between Mariposa and Tuolumne counties.

Well... not quite. It's near, not exactly on...

This dome... this one is exactly on the border:

Here's Mariuolumne from the unnamed domage just east of Medlicott:

(SVDD)

And a map:

(oops... spellt Chickonulumne wrong) tongue sticking out smiley
(the nicest dome in my book is actually the one I marked with a dot)

Anywho...

Doubt Fairview is steeper than this:

So can it quit snowing so I can go?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login